Gdynia and Gdansk - Baltics cruise

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Gdynia and Gdansk - Baltics cruise

Post by oldbluefox »

Has anybody been to Gdynia on a Baltics cruise? I have been looking at the ports and Gdynia looks to be quite a modern town set up basically as a port out of Poland. There doesn't seem to be a lot there of any interest but I may be wrong. Anybody any ideas?

I thought we would probably go for the Go-It-Alone trip to Gdansk. Usually we opt for the guided tour but sometimes those tours miss out some of the attractions you want to see or spend a little more time with. So has anybody been to Gdansk and what did you think of it?

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Gdynia and Gdansk - Baltics cruise

Post by Romig1 »

Hi Foxy, we did a short break (cheap flights jobbie) to Gdansk, and also took the train to Gdynia. Gdansk is a lovely place, full of history (albeit largely rebuilt after the war). Check out the medieval crane building). Gdynia was nice in a sea-side sort of way, although when we went (maybe 5 years ago) there was a lot of redevelopment on the seafront area - which will no doubt have finished by now.

Gdansk is do-able DIY - it's not spaced out and everything is walkable (unless you have a burning desire to go to the shipyard :D ) It's a good place to buy Baltic amber - although there is the usual fake stuff (and Chinese imported if I remember correctly). I also know a great brew-pub where they do great beer and food - it's just across the bridge from one of the main city gates (or can be reached via water-taxi).

The Poles are very friendly people and their English is often better than ours (esp the young people).

Any specific questions...just ask.

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

That sounds great Romig. Many thanks. :wave:

Apart from a gentle stroll around Gdynia it looks like Gdansk, doing our own walkabout, is going to be a better option. It's not a place I know a great deal about (apart from the shipyard thanks to Leck Walesa) so it's helpful to get some idea from those who have already been.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

When Wina first told me there were some dirt cheap flights to Gdansk (we had been to Poland previously) I thought "Why would anyone want to go there?" But after doing some basic research it was clear that it's both attractive and interesting. Try the pirogi (sp) too...which are dumplings btw.

Return to “Europe”