Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
ch1mpy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Gibraltar

Post by ch1mpy »

Hi
we are doing a cruise in early December which calls at Gibraltar.
we are interested in doing a tour of the World War II tunnels. Can anybody here tell me whether or not its necessary to get the cable car to visit the tunnels? My husband really doesn't like cable cars but really wants to visit the tunnels... so i'm hoping that there is an alternative way to get up there?
The cruise tour description is as follows and makes no mention of a cable car but i thought i'd better check with you guys before booking it just in case...

thanks for your help

Enjoy the views of the most Southerly point in Europe, site of the Trinity Lighthouse.

Step back in time to the year of 1940 when Britain was at war with Germany and Italy and the future of Gibraltar looked bleak. A decision was taken by Winston Churchill and the British Military leaders to construct a massive network of tunnels. Experience these World War II Tunnels as your guide takes you on a journey through this amazing fortress. Visit the areas that housed the hospital, power station, military headquarters and accommodation for nearly 10,000 troops and civilians.

On a clear day, the views of Spain are spectacular from Jock’s Balcony lookout point. You’ll have free time to enjoy the display of photographic images, depicting life as it was in the 1940’s.

Essential Information
This excursion will operate by mini-coach and on foot. At the Fortress, a health and safety briefing will be given and hard-hats will be provided. Passengers are advised that there is a steep incline to be negotiated upon exiting the Tunnels. We recommend flat, non slip shoes are worn. Passengers have the option to either be dropped off at Main Street or taken back to the ship. Passengers dropped off for shopping will be responsible for making their own way back to the ship.

BrianI
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: Gibraltar

Post by BrianI »

You don't need the cable car to get to the tunnels. As well as the official ships tours you will find a load of local taxis using people carriers who do the same tour and much cheaper. They seem to charge per head and take about five or six people. They are all parked just outside the cruise terminal.
Brian

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Does the WW tunnels include a visit to the monkeys? My wife hates the things and would not be amused if one jumped on her so we have always avoided any trips up the Rock.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Be careful

If unsteady on your trotters

The walk ways can be tricky

Me, not overly impressed to be honest

Though it is a aeroplane spotters paradise, the runway is part of the main route out of town :D

Take care and enjoy Gib
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It is, of course, walkable - although you would probably need longer than the "normal" four hours in port to do it.

Topic author
ch1mpy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by ch1mpy »

Brillant stuff, thanks very much for all your help on this one! Am very much looking forward to our trip to Gibraltar, just wish it was a full day rather than a half day.
:thumbup:

Return to “Europe”