Icelandic currency

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Icelandic currency

Post by Dark Knight »

I am having trouble getting Icelandic currency from the TA, as they say it was withdrawn around November last year and advised that I use an ATM once ashore
has anyone else had trouble getting Icelandic currency or should I just contact my bank?
Nihil Obstat

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Icelandic currency

Post by david63 »

A quick Google search seems to indicate that since the end of last year the Icelandic Government has limited the supply of Icelandic krona in order to strengthen it so whilst there may be some around there will not be much and because of the shortage the exchange rate may not be very good.

You might get away with Euros and/or USD in some of the main tourist areas or you may be able to get some on board (if Thomson do currency exchange) - otherwise I think you may have to wait until you arrive.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

. . . and you will need to take massive wedge

Iceland does not come cheap
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

gfwgfw wrote:
. . . and you will need to take massive wedge

Iceland does not come cheap

> . . . but it is a wonderful country to visit and enjoy
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Lollie
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lollie »

Try your local Post Office, I have ordered some this morning for a customer Orders taken before lunch are delivered to the PO for collection the following day. My gain, he went into Tesco last night who do not hold it and told him to buy at the airport! In fact the PO handle many currencies which are more difficult to buy, if you are having trouble check them out! Please!

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

DK - why don't you get a prepaid card from ICE plc? It could solve any purchasing problems when you are 'there', and if it is a cruise you are going on, then maybe you can use it at other places on the itinerary.

Em

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Boris+ wrote:
DK - why don't you get a prepaid card from ICE plc? It could solve any purchasing problems when you are 'there', and if it is a cruise you are going on, then maybe you can use it at other places on the itinerary.

Em
I thought that ICE cards were in Euros which are not widely accepted in Iceland and if using krona then there would be a double exchange (sterling > euro > krona)

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi David,

No - far from it! We had a choice when we got ours (we've got a separate one each), there is a choice of USD, Pound Sterling or Euro. We have the Pond Sterling variety - and they've been great.

Em

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Even so it will depend on what the exchange rate is as to how good they are.

When I was doing some research on pre-paid cards last year I found that ICE had one of the worst exchange rates of this type of card.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi David,

Speaking from experience, we bought something in a shop in Stavanger, and the calculation of converting the cost of the item into Sterling made it more than £16 ( I can't remember the exact figures now), but when we got back onboard ship we went online into the ICE account, and saw that the amount deducted from the balance in respect of the item purchased was just over £13. We were quite pleased with that - and this 'trend' has continued.

We also like the free use of ATMs, and also the ease and speed of doing a top-up. Then, just before we leave the ship on getting back into Southampton we double check the final balance and know with certainty how much is left on the card/s which we use for fuel en route home.

Oh well - horses for courses, we like ours.

Em

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I can confirm that Icelandic currency is now available from the bureau dechange by order in debenhams.

Lindsey

Return to “Europe”