Taxi trips from Livorno

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
hopefultraveller
Cadet
Cadet

Taxi trips from Livorno

Post by hopefultraveller »

We are thinking of booking a taxi to Pisa from the quayside when we arrive in Livorno because
a) The only accessible trip is to Pisa/Florence and is £165 pp,
b) We have already been to Florence and
c) It is a Monday and the Florence museums are closed anyway.

Has anyone done this and how does it work. Do you negotiate a price and they wait for you while you wander around Pisa, or is it a one way trip and you have to get another taxi home. We haven't done private trips before as we usually do the ship ones or wander around the ports ourselves. Any advice would be welcome. ( we don't want the train)
Val

Timothy Turtle
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Taxi trips from Livorno

Post by Timothy Turtle »

Hello Val,

We used a taxi from Livorno to Florence a couple of years ago (sorry but I can't remember the name of the company). We found a taxi company on the internet and asked for a price for a return trip to Florence for 2 people. I mentioned that we would have a wheelchair to go in the boot. I also agreed up front the time we wanted to leave the ship and how long we wanted in Florence.

On the day, the driver was waiting at the bottom of the gangway with a card with our name on it. The driver couldn't speak much English but the day worked really well.

If you don't want to book in advance, I'm sure there will be taxis on the day who wll take you to Pisa and back. You will either be charged the fare as shown on the meter, including waiting time while you are in Pisa, or offered a fixed price for the day.

One point to note - it will be more expensive if you book in advance. You will get a better deal on the quayside.

We have used taxis at numerous ports and never (touch wood) had a problem.

Hope this helps

TT

SueandPhil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by SueandPhil »

Doing Livorno in June and just looked at excursions on cruise personaliser and Pisa is on there as either a 3 or 4 hour trip for £33 or £43pp or you can do both Pisa and Florence on a 9.5 hour trip for £46pp

Timothy Turtle
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Timothy Turtle »

But Val said she was looking at 'accessible' excursions. Unfortunately, if one is unable to climb the steps into a coach the cost of a typical excursion quadruples.

bronte30
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by bronte30 »

I use a mobility scooter and we are visiting Livorno in September . I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how much a taxi would cost from the port to Pisa. I was going to book direct with P&O but I cannot take my scooter on the trolley train. Or can anyone recommend a taxi company to contact for a quote?

Carol

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

May I just point out that a Taxi from the Port is ( or perhaps was ) impossible ... one needs a Port Authority Shuttle to Town and then a taxi else a train to Pisa or Lucca from the Town.

For those who are able it is also possible to take a very pleasant albeit very long walk Southwards from the Harbour, nine miles in total and a taxi back of course.

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
May I just point out that a Taxi from the Port is ( or perhaps was ) impossible ... one needs a Port Authority Shuttle to Town and then a taxi else a train to Pisa or Lucca from the Town.

For those who are able it is also possible to take a very pleasant albeit very long walk Southwards from the Harbour, nine miles in total and a taxi back of course.

:thumbup:
It's a bleeding long walk to the train station too I gave up after a while and I was only after and English newspaper.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Try as I might I cannot recall what the port area looked like in Livorno so do not know if there were taxis there or not. However I remember the shuttle drop off point in the town and I seem to remember that there were taxis in the same square.
But I did find this in CC's port info area for Livorno:-
Getting Around
Getting To Florence: If traffic isn't a huge factor, it takes about an hour and 15 minutes to drive to Florence from Livorno. Taxis line up outside the ship; we were quoted a one-way price of 160 euros (your best bet is to negotiate a round-trip fare so the driver will wait around for you). Taxi drivers will also happily offer daylong tours of Florence and Pisa. However, Florence is a small city, and the traffic can get clogged. With a map, though, it's not difficult to find your way around. For more info, visit www.tuscanybytaxi.it.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

bronte30
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by bronte30 »

Thank you for the info.

Carol

Return to “Europe”