Anyone been to Cobh/Cork?

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Anyone been to Cobh/Cork?

Post by Bobbie »

Later in the year we'll be calling at Cobh, only 3 excursions are showing on the Cruise Personaliser - a countryside coach tour, a trip to Blarney Castle and a visit to a distillery. We had been hoping there might be a transfer to Cork (I understand it's about 15 miles away) but there's nothing like that. Has anyone been to Cobh, and can tell me what you did there. I believe there's a Titanic Heritage museum, but don't know what else.
Thanks.

Carlos Price
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Anyone been to Cobh/Cork?

Post by Carlos Price »

Visited Cobh in 2011 with Arcadia. Ship Berthed almost in the centre of a very nice little Town and the Railway Station is next to the Berth. On the day we were there the Train Service from Cobh to Cork was every 30 minutes. There was a Museum within the Railway Station Building, but I do not remember it being specific to Titanic, more on Irish emigration to USA and Canada. Hopes this information helps.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Cobh (pronounced Cove I seem to remember) is still nice, but small. In fact, I think we had a day and evening stop there and many passengers opted to have their real pint of Guinness etc in Cobh in the evening rather than train-it back into Cork.

You'll definitely want to leave Cobh during the day though - as Carlos says the mooring is right next to a very regular and direct train service, and there's plenty to do in Cork ((Ireland's 2nd city if memory serves). Oh and they LOVE the ex-footballer Roy Keane, so don't joke he was overrated ;-)

In terms of Titanic there is definitely a museum thing there ( again, right next to the ship I think) as Cobh was titanic's final port of call before she sank.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

It's many years since we went to Cobh on a cruise but from what I remember we took the train into Cork and it was very easy, Cobh is a lovely place but basically nothing there other than the museum oh and a half decent pub :lol:

My husband has recently spent 5 days in Cork and from there went to Blarney Castle ( home of the Blarney Stone I believe ) so I imagine this is a trip you could very easily DIY if you wanted to.
Jo

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

This may help

http://visitcobh.com/

Topic author
Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

Thanks everyone, some really useful information there.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Cobh is a lovely little place, you can still hear the locals singing the Rebel songs ...

Cork is basically a waste of time and Blarney is all about a woolen mill outlet. The distillery is aok for an evening Irish Dance venue else have a pint or two in the Harbour Pub and a walk-a-bout to see the multi coloured houses inc those that go down the hill like a pack of dominoes.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Bobbie,

We are thinking of booking the trip to see Blarney Castle but have no intention of kissing the stone. Apparently the locals 'treat' the stone for the visitors.

We looked into getting a taxi instead of doing the trip but it worked out more expensive so will probably book the trip.

It is only a 4 hour trip so there will be time to look around Cobh afterwards.

Less than 8 weeks now.

Sue

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Really enjoyed the the Distillery tour
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

If you want a tour and not with P&O try Butlers Coaches, they come to the ship and you can book everything on line.

We have used them a few times when in Cobh.

Enjoy your trip everyone.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Rex, I contacted Butlers recently and they are not running a trip to Blarney Castle that day. Not enough interest apparently.

Hope you and Leta are keeping well. X

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Perhaps Butlers go, as a better alternative, to Kinsale ?

Seems they may even do a tour to both ...

http://www.butlers-buses.com/cobh-shore-excursions.htm

:wave:

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

Suekersh wrote:
Hi Rex, I contacted Butlers recently and they are not running a trip to Blarney Castle that day. Not enough interest apparently.

Hope you and Leta are keeping well. X
Sorry that they are not running their tours when you are in Cohb, we found them to be very good, and have used them more than once.

I am sure you will love Cobh, even if it is only the Guinness, LOL!!

Yes we are both fine we are leaving this week on a Danube River cruise with a company called Emerald Waterways, then off again in September with Seabourn to the Greek Islands.

See you are still with P&O and hope that you are both well.

L&R

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We've been to Cobh twice. First time we caught the train to Cork and back. Okay but nothing special we thought. Second time we ambled around Cobh.

Topic author
Bobbie
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Bobbie »

Thanks, I did look into the private coaches but they said they are not running a trip that day as they haven't had any interest! Maybe it's because Adonia is only a small ship!

Hi Sue, I have now booked the Blarney Castle trip. I won't be kissing the stone either! I've read that the gardens are very pretty so should be worth a look round, and as you say we will still have time for a look around Cobh. Have you booked any other trips? I've always wanted to go to Giverny (Monet's garden) but it's nearly 2 hours each way in the coach, and I don't think September would be the best time to see it, also there wouldn't be any time to see Honfleur and everyone says it's really pretty, so I haven't booked it. I've printed off a nice walk in St Mary's, it's a 10 mile circular walk which is too much for me but we'll go as far as I can manage then turn back. Not sure about Guernsey, the trips don't look inspiring.

Just back from a Med cruise on Oceana, lots of dancing on a very small dance floor so tell Garry we were getting in lots of practice with the sharp elbows!!! Look forward to seeing you and having a catch up!

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Manoverboard wrote:
Perhaps Butlers go, as a better alternative, to Kinsale ?

Seems they may even do a tour to both ...

http://www.butlers-buses.com/cobh-shore-excursions.htm

:wave:

We have visited Cobh a few times, have taken the train to Cork and found that disappointing, done the Blarney Stone on a land based holiday, so last time we visited we did a tour to Kinsale. We did some research and it is nigh impossible to DIY due to the lack of public transport. Kinsale was delightful and the rest of the tour could not be faulted on scenic sights.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Bobbie wrote:
Thanks, I did look into the private coaches but they said they are not running a trip that day as they haven't had any interest! Maybe it's because Adonia is only a small ship!

Hi Sue, I have now booked the Blarney Castle trip. I won't be kissing the stone either! I've read that the gardens are very pretty so should be worth a look round, and as you say we will still have time for a look around Cobh. Have you booked any other trips? I've always wanted to go to Giverny (Monet's garden) but it's nearly 2 hours each way in the coach, and I don't think September would be the best time to see it, also there wouldn't be any time to see Honfleur and everyone says it's really pretty, so I haven't booked it. I've printed off a nice walk in St Mary's, it's a 10 mile circular walk which is too much for me but we'll go as far as I can manage then turn back. Not sure about Guernsey, the trips don't look inspiring.

Just back from a Med cruise on Oceana, lots of dancing on a very small dance floor so tell Garry we were getting in lots of practice with the sharp elbows!!! Look forward to seeing you and having a catch up!
Hi Bobbie,
I keep checking the Butlers web site to see if they have added anything but they haven't. We have not booked anything yet as we are waiting for our friends to decide what they are doing. If they are going to Blarney we may well book a taxi which works out the same price as the trip if 4 of us are in it but at least we can do it in our own time, and I hate coaches.

We have not booked any other trips as yet but are researching St Mary's today. I would like to do a boat trip to see the wildlife but as it is a Sunday not sure if they will be running.

We got very little dancing in on Azura last week. They had the Orchestra playing one night which was fab but the group they had on were worse than dreadful. We weren't too impressed with the dance instructors choice of music either when they were playing CDs.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Sue

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I would be happy enough to pay for a taxi to Kinsale but not to Blarney as this for us was of limited interest consisting as it does of a walk from the Car / Coach Park to the Castle n back with a likely visit to their ' average ' Woollen Mill Outlet included for lunch and the Gotcha Shop.

Cork is a dead loss bar the cathedral, imo.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi Bobbie,

We have now booked the trip to Blarney Castle. Our friends have yet to make a decision. I think this is the only trip we will book on this cruise.

On the first cruise of the B2B we have booked the trip to Santiago de Compestella From El Ferrol.

I have had a busy day booking trips as the trips are also available for our Caribbean Xmas cruise on Oriana and the transatlantic in March on Azura.

Sue

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Manoverboard wrote:
I would be happy enough to pay for a taxi to Kinsale but not to Blarney as this for us was of limited interest consisting as it does of a walk from the Car / Coach Park to the Castle n back with a likely visit to their ' average ' Woollen Mill Outlet included for lunch and the Gotcha Shop.

MOB, I just have to ask what is a GOTCHA shop?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Suekersh wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

I am guessing but I would say that it is the only shop there and it sells all the usual tourist "tat"

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Suekersh wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

All P&O cruises offer a ' shopping opportunity ' on their tours.

All manufacturing outlets worthy of a visit have ' a shop ' that sells their own plus related products.

Many of our Stately Homes have ' a NT shop ' aiming to sell us tat of one sort or another.

Way back in 1990 something or other we were on a coaching tour in Spain with a Canadian couple and she described the shop at the Toledo Steel Works as a ' Gotcha Shop ', a descriptive term we continue to use ... ok ?

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Gotcha shop describes it perfectly
Meg
x

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

When we berthed in Cobh/Cork there was a bit of emphasis on the fact that we were berthed at the quay which a particular famous ship had used. We spent our day on an excursion, which admittedly took us through some beautiful country side, and included a lunch in a traditional Irish pub. The food was average, the service a bit below par, and the town itself left much to be desired - nothing really to see in the short time allotted. We spent quite a bit of time however going around this small 'stately home' place - can't remember the name of it now; but it was a complete waste of time.

However, the drive through the countryside was lovely.

Next time we are in Cork I think we'll aim for Cork itself.

Em

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Boris+ wrote:
When we berthed in Cobh/Cork there was a bit of emphasis on the fact that we were berthed at the quay which a particular famous ship had used. We spent our day on an excursion, which admittedly took us through some beautiful country side, and included a lunch in a traditional Irish pub. The food was average, the service a bit below par, and the town itself left much to be desired - nothing really to see in the short time allotted. We spent quite a bit of time however going around this small 'stately home' place - can't remember the name of it now; but it was a complete waste of time.

However, the drive through the countryside was lovely.

Next time we are in Cork I think we'll aim for Cork itself.

Em
Titanic was never berthed alongside. She anchored two miles offshore for one and a half hours.

Return to “Europe”