I am after any info on the following, please

Mykonos
Kusadasi
Athens
Chania
Kalamata

we are not going with Pand O, so just after generic info on the sites to see

Ta ever so
Last edited by Dark Knight on 12 May 2014, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Nihil Obstat

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greek ports of call

Post by david63 »

Isn't Kusadasi in Turkey?

It is some while since I have been to Kusadasi but it was just a short walk from the ship into the town full of shopkeepers peddling their wares. If I remember correctly was good for leather goods.

Athens - will be Piraus, not much there but a short walk to the train into Athens itself. If you have not been before then it would probably be better to get an excursion as getting around Athens is not the easiest of places if you short on time. You would probably want to visit the building site Acropolis which can be chaotic at the best of times.

Cannot help on the others

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Dark Knight wrote:
Afternoon forumeers
I am after any info on the following, please

Mykonos................Pretty town to walk around, and visit a few greek bars
Kusadasi................Ephesus is a must see visit
Athens...................The parthenon
Chania
Kalamata

we are not going with Pand O, so just after generic info on the sites to see

Ta ever so
My ideas for the first 3, sorry not been to the other two.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Can only help with Athens, it is quite a distance from the port, we took the HoHo bus ( cost about 18 euro each, I think they started at 25 euro but came down in price ) which we thought was pretty good value, as you exit the port turn left and it is just a short walk ( past all the taxi's touting for business ) to where you get them, you will see all the major sights and they run frequently.

The taxi's were only charging 25 - 30 euros pp for a 4 hour tour so that is another alternative, the prices I've quoted though were at Xmas and we were the only ship in port so I suspect a lot depends on demand.

Went to Kusadasi years ago but sorry can't remember much about it ...that isn't much help is it :roll:
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Greek and Turkish ports of call

Post by Manoverboard »

Will add a few extra comments as I think of them / locate them from various ' résumés ' over the years ..

Mykonos

A very nice place to just stroll about, even in the heat ! Bit of a distance from the port but the old town, Little Venice and their famous windmills are all within easy walking distance. Lots of narrow streets to get lost in and the place to go to see the 'beautiful people'; we didn't see any so guess they were all still in bed, apart from ourselves of course.

Kusadasi

Easy to walk-a-bout, go right to the little fort or left for a stroll down the sea front. Straight ahead for the town or a beer etc but ignore the shops by the docking area is my advice. Ephesus is a must see Roman site even for somebody from Hull :sarcasm:

Athens

The Parthenon / Acropolis etc but don't bother with the Placa (Old Town)

Chania, Crete

It is all centred on the beautiful harbour and is full of old buildings, narrow shopping streets and waterfront restaurants. A lazy day this one and absolutely no need to go elsewhere.

Kalamata .... never heard of it, we await your review.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Greek and Turkish ports of call

Post by Gill W »

The Corinth Canal transit is a nice outing from Athens
Gill

Return to “Europe”