antwerp

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

antwerp

Post by poole boy »

we are going on a cruise that stops at Antwerp can anybody tell us is it far from the docks to the town and if there is much to do there or is it best to book an excursion

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: antwerp

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Antwerp is good for diamonds :)

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We went on a short cruise at the beginning of December a few years ago with Fred Olsen and we stopped at Antwerp. Now it was a smaller ship so it may be different but we docked literally just near the centre of Antwerp. It was snowy and there was lots of ice around so we didn't wander far but we got off the ship, crossed the road and we were at the Christmas Market. From memory I think it was only a short walk from there to all the shops but as it was so slippery we didn't venture there. One great memory is of some of the crew members helping some children to build a snowman on the deck!

Carole

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Certainly not one of my favorite Cities, but if your enjoyment is of the seriously Red kind . . . Antwerp is up there amongst the best ;)
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

we are going on a small ship Discovery cruise and maritime but we do not now much about Antwerp trying to decide if its practical to spend the day there or go on an excursion to Ghent that includes a tour of the town on a canal boat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Ghent is a poor man's Bruges ... stick with Antwerp.

The highlight is Grote Markt ( Old Town ), heading north via the Sint Anna Tunnel you will find the maritime historical site(s) ... no idea where your ship will park but if there's a trip that includes the above then book it is my advice.

ps ... the frites with mayo is a meal in itself

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

mob unfortunately there are only 2 tours offered in Antwerp the Ghent one or a four hour walking tour which with my health problems would be a definite no no

Return to “Europe”