Rome excursions

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Caretaker
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Rome excursions

Post by Caretaker »

Please could anyone tell me the pros and cons of not going on the P&O excursion to Rome, it just seems a lot of money £92 just to get dropped off. Are the alternatives a better option or are they risky in any way. :think:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Rome excursions

Post by Manoverboard »

Rome is a beautiful City but it cannot possibly be seen in a single day, the option is to see what you can else return to do a Coach Tour / City Tour at a later date ... or go elsewhere, perhaps Bracciano where it will be much cooler during the hot summer months.

The P&O trip is certainly expensive and the train is certainly cheaper, however, Italian Railways are hardly reliable so there has to a risk involved using that particular option. A Taxi would be far too expensive.

Decisions, decisions :?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We've done the 'Rome on your Own' excursion a few times and yes it is expensive but it does give peace of mind as Rome is a good distance from the port and if you are late back for any reason the ship WILL wait for you.

There are many on here who have taken the train and this is a much cheaper option but be aware trains do get cancelled without notice so should you choose to do this leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship, personally I would be worrying too much about getting back on time to enjoy myself but that's just me :roll:

I believe the train is very easy to do and no doubt someone will be along shortly with some information for you.

Rome is a wonderful City ... enjoy.
Jo

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

If you type into Google - rome from cruise ship - there are lots of threads where people have done it by train. Just leave yourself 2 hours before you need to get back. We never do ship excursions if we can avoid them!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Rome excursions

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Yes, train is quick, easy and cheap. We've done it both ways and is use the train from now on. There's a tourist information kiosk at the port entrance where the port shuttle drops you. They speak good English and you can buy a Lazio day pass for about €9 or so that covers all trains (except high-speed express) buses and Metro in the region. Toddlers go free. It's a 10 minute walk to the station. Validate your ticket by date-stamping it in the little yellow machine on the wall. Trains run hourly and circle the city to the south calling at the Vatican (San Pietro) where most people will be getting off. It's about an hour to here and 1h30 to Stazione Termini. If you aim for a train or two before the last that will get you back in time you'll be ok. My advice is to get started very early on the first shuttle possible. On our day there were 9 ships in and there was a big queue for tickets at the Civitavecchia railway station which we bypassed.

You can easily walk from the Vatican over the Tiber to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi, Spanish steps (I wouldn't bother), Forum, Colosseum and anything else that takes your fancy. Jump in a taxi to Termini for the return. Trains to Civitavecchia usually leave from a platform (Binario) on the right which has a separate side entrance otherwise it is several minutes walk inside the station from the main entrance.

We went as a family of six with two youngsters at a total cost of around €38 instead of six P&O tickets at well over £250.

Lollie
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lollie »

Would love to go to Rome but have never has the courage to go by train and having read all the excursion info, especially the bits about long queues and walking being at a fast pace meaning no browsing time if on an excursion we have decided that we will 'do' Rome over a long weekend some time father than spend the best part of £200 to be rushed around. Last time we did the Taste of Tuscania trip from Civvitevechia having read a James Cusack blog about it, it was a very pleasant tour, lovely village visit and the local lunch with wine at the olive farm was absolutely lovely.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Lollie wrote:
Would love to go to Rome but have never has the courage to go by train and having read all the excursion info, especially the bits about long queues and walking being at a fast pace meaning no browsing time if on an excursion we have decided that we will 'do' Rome over a long weekend some time father than spend the best part of £200 to be rushed around. Last time we did the Taste of Tuscania trip from Civvitevechia having read a James Cusack blog about it, it was a very pleasant tour, lovely village visit and the local lunch with wine at the olive farm was absolutely lovely.

I would also recommend that tour, one of the best ship's tours that we have done in many years.

Lunch was just perfect and I am sparingly using one of the couple of bottles of olive oil that I bought there; not for drizzling over salad :shock: or cooking :shock: but for dipping breads.

Lollie
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lollie »

Wolfie, I bought two bottles of their olive oil, have just started the second, I also use it sparingly for very special things not just anything! As a general rule we avoid tours with a lunch as generally we do not want a larger meal in the day. This lunch was perfect, you could pick what you wanted and how much, all local produce washed down with their wine, perfect. I agree, one of the best tours we have been on.

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

We've been to Rome twice on the train from Civitavecchia and had brilliant trips both times. The last time (April this year) we were in Rome a day before they canonised 2 of the popes and it was extra busy, but we still had a great trip. The first time we got off at the St Peters stop and walked down to the Vatican City where we went to the Basilica and then to the Sistine Chapel, before taking one of the HOHO buses and then catching the train back. This year we got off at a stop after St Peters and before the main terminus (I think it was called Trieste?, but I might be wrong!) From here we walked to the Circus Maximus, then on to the Colosseum, then on to the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain and then the Spanish Steps before catching the train back from the main terminal. The only place we actually went inside was the Pantheon, as we had not been there before.

We were back on board well before all the coach excursions. You just have to make sure that you have a good map.

Michele

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We did the P&O tour called Essence of Rome

It was about £100 each and not for the faint hearted, but worth every penny.

Left quite early and arrived in Rome as things opened. Did Forum, Colleseum, Trevi, break for nice lunch (included) then Vatican inc Sistine Chapel.

Queue jumped everywhere which makes a huge difference

Arrived back at Oceana at about 6.00 pm and both promptly fell asleep on the bed. (knackered)

Awoke about 8.00 showered and went for a curry, then back to bed for Florence the following day.

A hard core couple of days but worth it.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Caretaker, following on from Quiz Bobs excellent directions I've just noticed this which I saw elsewhere and posted on here a couple of months ago, it might be helpful.

http://www.roninrome.com/%20transportat ... -the-day-2

I also seem to think I've read somewhere recently that the port shuttle bus drops off in a different place now due to building work around the port area, that might be worth checking out as I believe it was said this is now further away from the train station.

Ooops sorry that link doesn't appear to work .... try this one.

http://www.roninrome.com/%20transportat ... -the-day-2
Jo

Return to “Europe”