Short video of how to use the People mover in Venice

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

I have just made and posted a short video on You Tube on how easy it is to get to St Marks Square using the People Mover my wife ( Who can not walk far ) and I are in our 70s and we found it very easy and very cheap. P&O Azura Cruise A323N 2013 People Mover Venice

So many people have asked this question and are a little bit apprehensive to try it.

We got the P&O shuttle back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ZyUw5SXbA

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Short video of how to use the People mover in Venice

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks Orpheus. We have never tried it but will do next time we are in Venice. Where do you buy your tickets? And is it a case of having it stamped before you get on?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

You buy your tickets at a self service machine just before you go up to the platform.

The whole operation is "people free" - except for those being moved

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Well done Orpheus, good of you to take the trouble to do this. It's ok when you're moored nearby but when we called in we were on the farthest berth and I believe it's a 2km walk to the mover. We didn't arrive until just after 1:00 and the ferry from Cephalonia or somewhere had just arrived so the whole port area was gridlocked so the port shuttle bus was going nowhere very slowly.

Topic author
Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

Thanks Orpheus. We have never tried it but will do next time we are in Venice. Where do you buy your tickets? And is it a case of having it stamped before you get on?

What I can remember OBF For the People mover you buy your ticket from the maned stool on the short walk to the station I think it was 1 euro each or at the auto machine at the station ( The station has a Lift to the platform if you need it )

For the vaporetto you queue at the ticket kiosk ( Does not take long ) opposite the station and yes I think you do have to get it stamped there are machines you use for that it is no problem.

QB that was unfortunate

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Orpheus wrote:

What I can remember OBF For the People mover you buy your ticket from the maned stool on the short walk to the station I think it was 1 euro each or at the auto machine at the station ( The station has a Lift to the platform if you need it )

For the vaporetto you queue at the ticket kiosk ( Does not take long ) opposite the station and yes I think you do have to get it stamped there are machines you use for that it is no problem.

QB that was unfortunate
Indee Orpheus, it was. For some reason P&O had chosen the Sunday of the Venice marathon for our visit. Fog in the morning meant that we were late coming in. We were in berth 123 which is as far as you can get from the dock gates and the shuttle boats arranged by P&O left from berth 16 near the terminals which itself was a long walk. I don't know why the tours can't go from a pontoon next to the ships. Being marathon day a lot of the backstreet (backcanal?) bridges were closed and the St Marks Square dropoff point was a couple of bridges further down. For some strange reason P&O chose the same Sunday to visit this year.

Topic author
Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

QB that was unfortunate
Indee Orpheus, it was. For some reason P&O had chosen the Sunday of the Venice marathon for our visit. Fog in the morning meant that we were late coming in. We were in berth 123 which is as far as you can get from the dock gates and the shuttle boats arranged by P&O left from berth 16 near the terminals which itself was a long walk. I don't know why the tours can't go from a pontoon next to the ships. Being marathon day a lot of the backstreet (http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/posti ... #backcanal?) bridges were closed and the St Marks Square dropoff point was a couple of bridges further down. For some strange reason P&O chose the same Sunday to visit this year.
QB that is just awful as Venice is surely the highlight of the cruise please supply the date of this so that I can give it a big miss !!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Orpheus wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

QB that was unfortunate
Indee Orpheus, it was. For some reason P&O had chosen the Sunday of the Venice marathon for our visit. Fog in the morning meant that we were late coming in. We were in berth 123 which is as far as you can get from the dock gates and the shuttle boats arranged by P&O left from berth 16 near the terminals which itself was a long walk. I don't know why the tours can't go from a pontoon next to the ships. Being marathon day a lot of the backstreet (http://www.cruise-community.me.uk/posti ... #backcanal?) bridges were closed and the St Marks Square dropoff point was a couple of bridges further down. For some strange reason P&O chose the same Sunday to visit this year.
QB that is just awful as Venice is surely the highlight of the cruise please supply the date of this so that I can give it a big miss !!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Sure. Every year the fourth Sunday in October, next year the 25th.

http://www.venicemarathon.it/index.php/ ... edetailsvm

Needless to say we didn't know when we booked. We've been to Venice before, we towed a caravan there and back and we sailed from there on RCI IN 2001.

Topic author
Orpheus
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Orpheus »

Thanks for that QB that cruise could be quiet !!!!!!!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Orpheus wrote:
Thanks for that QB that cruise could be quiet !!!!!!!
J418 this year but next year seems ok.

Lollie
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lollie »

We have just returned from our Ventura cruise and used the People Mover for the first time, it was so simple, less than ten minute walk from the ship. We purchased our tickets at the self serve machines by the automatic gates, 1.2 or 1.3 euro each can't remember which, we had no trouble validating our tickets at the barriers but several people who had bought theirs at the kiosks near the ship had serious problems. The walk into Venice is very well signed, we had decided to catch the ships shuttle back but can anybody tell me is the route signed as well if you walk back?

Return to “Europe”