A Glimpse of Bruges

Cruising destinations in Europe

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: A Glimpse of Bruges

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote:
We are due to call at Zeebrugge next month. Having been to Bruges quite a few times independently, we want to do something different and don't really want to go to Ghent either.

Is there much to do in and around Zeebrugge itself ?
Blankenberg is supposed to have a promenade and presumably cafes, so we intend taking the shuttle there on our June cruise, assuming the weather is OK and Celebrity don't chicken out on the visit.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

towny44 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
We are due to call at Zeebrugge next month. Having been to Bruges quite a few times independently, we want to do something different and don't really want to go to Ghent either.

Is there much to do in and around Zeebrugge itself ?
Blankenberg is supposed to have a promenade and presumably cafes, so we intend taking the shuttle there on our June cruise, assuming the weather is OK and Celebrity don't chicken out on the visit.
Blankenburg is lovely - was really surprised what it had to offer - patisseries to die for and a smashing beach and lovely promenade with cafes - well worth a visit - I'd go back :thumbup:
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds promising - might give that a go then. Thanks Blod. Is there a local 'bus from the port ?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

qbman1 wrote:
Sounds promising - might give that a go then. Thanks Blod. Is there a local 'bus from the port ?
Cubie, I think the P&O shuttle takes you to the train station in Blankenberg, which is where you can DIY a visit to Bruges, I am also hoping Celebrity do the same and that there is an accessible bus available.
John

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

When we've been to Zeebrugge there's been a shuttle from ship to Blankenberg, and we've noticed that there is usually an accessibly bus in use too. The walk from where the bus stops in Blankenberg to the railway station is easy, but then the start of the shopping streets is right at that point too (virtually).

The walk through the shopping streets (and don't forget some awesome choccy, clothing, bag and shoe shops) is as good as flat, until you want to access the promenade - if you carry on straight along the main shopping street there will be a flight of stone steps, but if you walk to the left (with your back to the bus station and facing the sea front - the main shopping street is at right angles to the prom) go along a bit and then turn right you can get to the prom with just some slopes, avoiding the steps.

There are loads of places to eat/drink on the prom. If you walk 'away' from the ship/port, which is to your left as you look at the sea, you'll get to the marina etc.

Hope you get there, it's lovely, and hope you have nice weather too.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Excellent - thanks all. Blankenberg it is !

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Cubie, I think the P&O shuttle takes you to the train station in Blankenberg, which is where you can DIY a visit to Bruges, I am also hoping Celebrity do the same and that there is an accessible bus available.

Providing you have paid the full fare and not the saver.
Saying that, we have used the shuttle bus when only paying saver fare and no one queried it.

You could always go by taxi.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Remember I'm a Goldie and will expect door to door chauffeur service

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote:
towny44 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:

Saying that, we have used the shuttle bus when only paying saver fare and no one queried it.

Celebrity don't differentiate between select and saver fares, everybody pays for shuttles. :lol:
However I may have to take a taxi if they don't have an accessible shuttle, should I then send the bill to you Stephen. :sarcasm: ;)
John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Don't much like the sound of this Calamity - seems they charge extra for everything !!

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote:
Stephen wrote:
towny44 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:

Celebrity don't differentiate between select and saver fares, everybody pays for shuttles. :lol:
However I may have to take a taxi if they don't have an accessible shuttle, should I then send the bill to you Stephen. :sarcasm: ;)

Sure, we're getting low on loo paper.

Topic author
Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote:
Don't much like the sound of this Calamity - seems they charge extra for everything !!

I've heard even the cabins have oxygen metres

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Merv's their biggest fan - he'll know

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: RE: Re: A Glimpse of Bruges

Post by Quizzical Bob »

qbman1 wrote:
There's also a tram that runs all along the coast of Belgium and stops outside the port.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I've just learned that the Ghent Floralies is on this year but the annoying part is, it ends on 1st May so we will miss it by a couple of weeks. Bugger !

Looks like it's still Blankenberge then !

Return to “Europe”