Tallinn

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Tallinn

Post by oldbluefox »

Having 'done' the Baltic a few times now we are running short of ideas of what to do in the smaller cities like Tallinn. So far we have just had a stroll around the little market close to where the shuttle drops you off and then a meander up into the old town. Quaint as it is there comes a time when you want to look for something different.
Has anybody gone into the new town? What is it like and is it worth going? Anybody been to the KGB museum in Hotel Viru? What about other excursions round and about Tallinn?

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Tallinn

Post by Frank Manning »

Actually obf we were bored out of our brains the last time we were there. There was a very cold wind, and we were glad to get back on the bus. Have you tried trip advisor?

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I know what you mean Frank. Tallinn was lovely the first time we went. I thought I would pick the brains of my friend(s) on CC before looking around elsewhere. The problem with many cruises is in being fortunate enough to have done them a number of times so it gets to the stage where you have exhausted the main sites. However there are sometimes little gems hidden around with obscure names which are not immediately obvious eg the gardens in Stavanger (Flor og Fjaere).

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Agree about Flor & Fjaere Foxy - well worth the trip. P&O always seem to have a trip these days but you can also book independently as their shuttle goes back and forth from the port area all day

We have only been to Tallinn once and really liked it but I am sure I know what you mean - the novelty could wear off after a few more visits

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

Last time we were in Tallinn we got the Tallinn Card. Basically it lets you use the public transport system and gets you entry into most of the museums in and outside of town, including the Soviet built TV tower, about 40 minutes bus ride away.

Also includes some of the towers like Fat Margaret (maritime museum inside) and I think Kiek in die Kok (not as painful as it sounds) and possibly Pik Herman. It might also get you the walking town wall trip.

Alternatively, chill out in an olde worlde bar with Sovetskaya Shampanskaya.

We love Tallinn. :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

According to my TC City Spots book there are three HoHo bus routes ( Red, Green and Blue ), riding on any or all of them may be a good plan else you may wish to experience a sample of real Estonia by going to their open air museum on the outskirts of the City where they have rounded up umpteen old buildings and placed them in this place.

HoHo bus... route - Blue

Open air museum

ps ... I cannot believe that anybody who lives in Bournemouth thinks that Tallinn is boring :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Manoverboard wrote:

ps ... I cannot believe that anybody who lives in Bournemouth thinks that Tallinn is boring :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Have a look at some of the other websites that offer tours in the area such as viator (?) cruising excursions, private tours etc. they may provide some ideas. I would also be interested, this stop is on our next cruise (and we have never done the baltic before).

Return to “Europe”