Norway ports of call Tour or DIY

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Norway ports of call Tour or DIY

Post by allatc »

We will be visiting Norway on Azura in summer calling at the following ports.

For each port would you seasoned travelers recommend Tour or DIY ? (and if a tour any particular one ?)

Bergen

Olden

Flaam

Stavanger

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Norway ports of call Tour or DIY

Post by Meg 50 »

Bergen - we diy'd - up the cable car and then wandered around Bryggen and the market on the quayside

Olden - I wandered round the village and along the other side of the lake. OH did a glacier trip

Flaam - haven't been thee

Stavanger we diy'd around the town
Meg
x

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Stavanger has the MOST beautiful tropical gardens on an island 20 minutes away and the cruise lines organise trips there. I would HIGHLY recommend this trip as the gardens are absolutely superb.
Last edited by GillD46 on 12 Mar 2017, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Bergen - easy to diy. Cable car, Bryggen is lovely for a wander, as is the market and there's a lovely park
Olden - Unless you want to go to the glacier (well worth doing) Olden is a small village where you can take a walk by the river. The old church is well worth a visit but there is not a great deal to see otherwise. On balance take a half day visit and then have a walk i]to the church which resembles a glorified garden shed but is beautifully rustic inside.
Flaam - not been but everybody raves about the train trip which is what is on our to do list
Stavanger - diy but everybody raves about the tropical gardens

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Bergen very easy to diy

olden we visited on a beautiful day and caught the road train from were the boat docked around the lake really enjoyable trip

flaam if you have not been before would suggest you catch the train well worth it in our opinion

Stavanger very easy to diy unless you know some were you would like to go

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Looks like we are all creatures of habit as we have done much the same as all the other jolly travellers !

Bergen - an easy walk from the ship to the cable car and some lovely walks around the woods up there - loads of good, well-marked paths and a reasonable restaurant/cafeteria

Olden - first time a trip to the Briksdaal glacier (definitely worthwhile) and the next time or two, some pleasant walks - just keep on through the village and turn left where you are in some attractive countryside along the river

Flaam - definitely the railway - you can do a trip but the station is only a few steps from the dock and a very easy diy (although a trip might be nest at peak season). Also a pleasant walk alongside the fjord

Stavanger - the old town makes for a good half-day's wander especially in the summer months when the houses are bedecked with flowers. Agree that the aforementioned "island garden" is a must, though. It's Flor & Fjaere and you can either do a trip or diy as the island-owned and operated ferry runs regularly from the port. I would favour the diy option as the trip only gives you a couple of hours which is not enough.

The Fjords is a smashing cruise and I am sure you will enjoy it

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Ditto to the others ... although I think that Stavanger's interesting dockside Museum should get a mention.

ps ... Bergen is a good place to buy a wooden troll should you need one :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 11:37
Ditto to the others ... although I think that Stavanger's interesting dockside Museum should get a mention.

That's akin to coming back from a week in Marbella and walking through the airport wearing a sombrero and with a stuffed donkey under your arm !!

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We've been to Olden a couple of times, and our favourite excursion is definitely going to the Briksdal Glacier. We did the walk up, and it was worth it to use up the calories before we thoroughly enjoyed the little restaurant near the car park. The facilities (bye the way) near the car park were superb. The souvenir shop at the Briksdal was just a bit nicer than the sounvenir shop by the quayside in Olden.

Have a great time.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

qbman1 wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 11:49
Manoverboard wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 11:37

That's akin to coming back from a week in Marbella and walking through the airport wearing a sombrero and with a stuffed donkey under your arm !!
No need for a donkey - there's a life-sized stuffed reindeer outside the souvenir shop where the ship docks!

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Stuffed????? Oh, I understand now, it's blitzed the breakfast buffet!

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Qbman "Stavanger - the old town makes for a good half-day's wander especially in the summer months when the houses are bedecked with flowers. Agree that the aforementioned "island garden" is a must, though. It's Flor & Fjaere and you can either do a trip or diy as the island-owned and operated ferry runs regularly from the port. I would favour the diy option as the trip only gives you a couple of hours which is not enough."

I cannot find any way to DIY this other than going for lunch which is £103pp? Can't see anything about a ferry service? Can you point me in the right direction please

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

They have a booking office in a little shop on the quayside (opposite side to the old town) - Skagenkaien 35-37, 4006 Stavanger

Not sure whether you can book a ferry crossing without the buffet in advance, though. Might be worth checking with them for availability - booking@florogfjare.no

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by JoanneB »

Thanks, worth a try

Return to “Europe”