New England in the Fall ....

Cruising destinations in the Americas and the Caribbean

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

New England in the Fall ....

Post by Boris+ »

I was really pleased to get an invitation to join some cruise friends on a cruise which is basically New England in the Fall; so now after a hectic day and frantic communications it's booked.

I've had a brief look in the destinations section on the cruiseline website, but there's not much to read. Top tips please! All suggestions other than wearing boots and kippers in Boston heartily welcome!

I must admit, New York doesn't really appeal much - and so if we are going to spend time in NY it will be after the cruise and not before (besides which I just want to fly out and get my clothes unpacked as quickly as possible on board).

Huge thanks - Em :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: New England in the Fall ....

Post by Manoverboard »

To see the true glory of New England in the Fall you need to drive else take a coach out of Boston for at least 7 days and ideally 10 days.

Cruise Ships, sadly, are unable to get close to the major highlights.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

If you have not been to New York, Boris, don't discount it. We had a day and a half there a couple of years ago at the start of a "New England in the Fall" cruise and thoroughly enjoyed doing the main tourist sights of which I am sure you are well aware. Central Park, for example was much more interesting and less threatening than our perception - at least in daylight! Our best advice was not to book an excursion to see the Statue of Liberty but rather to take a free trip on the Staten Island ferry which goes right past it.

You don't say what time of year you are going or where you are calling. We went in September which was actually too early to see the best of the colours and in any case, as mob says, you get little chance to see the best of these on occasional excursions from a ship.

We thoroughly enjoyed the ports of call, though, especially Boston and Quebec, which was our favourite (possibly after New York).

Topic author
Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

The thing is if we go and stay in NY before the cruise, we will meet up with our cruise friends - and we won't have enough suitcases spare to fit all the shopping in!

We are intending to do a fly/drive some day - but at the moment we are just so very excited at this invitation, and next year won't come soon enough.

Em :D

Return to “The Americas”