On board with a scooter

Topics relating to disabled cruising

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

On board with a scooter

Post by CaroleF »

I'm hoping that Dai or someone who has been on board with a scooter may be able to help. We are on Aurora in a couple of weeks and this will be the first time that I've had a scooter with me - knee problem, looks as if I'll be having a replacement next year. I was hoping not to have to use the scooter on board but as of now it looks as if I may have to as knee is particularly bad at the moment - mind you it will be easier on board I hope as I won't have to contend with stairs. Our house is full of them, even to go from the sitting room to our downstairs loo I have to go down one step and up another - bad planning. Anyway I've got two queries. If I use my scooter - it's a very small one that fold up like a cabin case on wheels, a Luggie, do I just go through check in as per usual, no need to wait for assistance or anything?

Secondly, if I do use the scooter on board and want to get off using the scooter is there a special gangway without steps so I can use the scooter - I seem to remember hearing on board announcements about a gangway exit for wheelchairs? I was originally thinking we'd just take the scooter off and I would walk just using a stick then unfold the scooter once on shore. This still may be possible, just depends how my knee is.

I had an injection of hyaluronic acid into my knee about a month ago which my Consultant was hoping would give me several months of relief so a replacement could be delayed. I was most amused to discover that this is the same substance that can be found in rather expensive anti-wrinkle cream and lotions! The Consultant said it could take up to 8 weeks to work but as of now it hasn't - I see him again a couple of days before Christmas and I'm assuming he will say it will be a replacement next year - after our Canaries cruise in January hopefully.

John asked if I would be able to manage on board but I told him that it would be easier. After a fairly painful interlude when I first get up it then gets easier and I can walk around the house fairly easily. On board there won't be stairs I have to use and I won't have to be shopping, cooking etc.
So I hope I won't be one of those irritating scooter riders who speeds around - my scooter doesn't do speeding!
Thanks for any help/advice.

Carole

mavismumakrill
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: On board with a scooter

Post by mavismumakrill »

Hi Carole, Sorry to hear your knee is getting worse. Although I haven't ever used a scooter, I always use an electric wheelchair that is issued by the local health authority because of the long term need for me. There has always been a different gangway for wheelchairs that is flat and there are always staff there to make sure you are safe. It is surprising how easy it is getting round the ships except for the lifts at 'rush hour'.... You will have no problem either getting on or off the ship and you could, if possible, make it easier for yourself by going without the scooter at tender ports, although I have always taken a manual wheelchair as well so that, with help from superb male staff, I can use the tenders as well but have to be pushed round port then of course.

Hope this helps, but, as you say, Dai uses a scooter so will have more knowledge maybe. You need to be as pain free as possible so that you can enjoy your cruise, and if that means using a scooter then please use it and get the most from your well earned holiday.

Mavis x

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Now Carole,

One point have you an adapted cabin or a suite. If not you will not be able to take a scooter on board. You have to contact the company and tell them you will be taking a scooter. There has been talk of allowing the type of scooter you have being allowed into ordinary cabins. But I do not think this is the case.

Aurora is easy to get around apart from getting out to the prom deck. The thresh, on the doors is the highest of any ship. So my scooter always grounds.

Come back if you want any other help.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I am not a scooter/wheelchair user but have cruised enough to have seen some of the problems.

Getting off/on the ship at many ports is not a problem but there are some ports where it can be a major issue. A lot will depend on the ship, the port and the tide.

Last Christmas in the Caribbean (cannot recall which port it was) the tide was high making the ramp quite steep. There was a woman in a scooter (admittedly it was a large heavy scooter) who almost could not get back on-board - it was only possible due to the fact that there were several crew members returning to the ship at the same time who lent a hand that she was able to get on.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Blimey, P&O are getting very relaxed about mobility around the ship.
vespa-gts-300_827x510_51465551765.jpg

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Helpful as ever.....!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote:
Blimey, P&O are getting very relaxed about mobility around the ship.

vespa-gts-300_827x510_51465551765.jpg

saves someone having to push you l suppose

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote:
Helpful as ever.....!
:lolno: :yawn:

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thanks everyone for the advice. Yes Dai, I have filled in the form, given details and measurements of the scooter and we are in a mini suite so have complied with all the rules and regulations. We have no tender ports so that's not a problem. I'm really looking forward to this cruise. As my knee is being rather painful at the moment it will be a relief to be somewhere where there are no stairs/steps to contend with and I don't have to think about cooking, housework etc. When we get off at the ports I can just walk off if necessary with the scooter folded up and my husband can pull it along, it's quite small folded up. Anyway, thanks again for all the thoughts - just got to get around to all the packing now!

Carole

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

CaroleF wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Yes Dai, I have filled in the form, given details and measurements of the scooter and we are in a mini suite so have complied with all the rules and regulations. We have no tender ports so that's not a problem. I'm really looking forward to this cruise. As my knee is being rather painful at the moment it will be a relief to be somewhere where there are no stairs/steps to contend with and I don't have to think about cooking, housework etc. When we get off at the ports I can just walk off if necessary with the scooter folded up and my husband can pull it along, it's quite small folded up. Anyway, thanks again for all the thoughts - just got to get around to all the packing now!

Carole
You are all set them. :) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Just to give an update. I found the check in procedure at the Mayflower Terminal very easy with my scooter. I was directed to a man with a clipboard as we entered and he found me on his list of approved scooters, ticked me off and directed me up the ramp to the check in area. I did ask if I needed a label for the scooter and he said I didn't. At the top of the ramp when I said we were in a minisuite we were directed to the left, got to the end of the queue - about two couples in front of us and then very quickly to a desk. Then once checked in we went to the roped off area for the Suite and Caribbean and above passengers where there was tea and coffee etc. on offer. John said the coffee was excellent - I didn't have any - didn't fancy a quick trip to the loo. I managed to get that far without bumping into anyone. We were there for about 20 mins or so and then it was through security and on the ship. So it was all much easier than I imagined it might be.

Carole

Annezeals
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Annezeals »

Hello Carole, hope you don't mind my asking, but what type of Luggie did you buy?

I too am going to need some kind of help next time I cruise and I am favouring a luggie so far.

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Hi Kitchie, I think I remember meeting you on Azura at the Meet and Greet I think you organised and then you and your husband came and looked at our cabin. My Luggie is the standard one, not the Eco one. It doesn't have arm rests. My experience with it has been largely good. It weighs apparently 23kg. I think if we had a lower car I may be able to get it into the boot of our car myself but as our car is higher I can't and John has to do it. We had a demo from the man form the Company who is on the video on You Tube - I think it's a long QVC programme. He's very Welsh and spent over an hour with us demonstrating the Luggie and then watching me have a go. It is useful in that it folds up much smaller than some and we have stored it in the wardrobe of our cabin - all has to be approved by P&O (this time on Ventura earlier this month they did tie an approved label on the scooter when we arrived at the Terminal. As it is a small scooter it has no springs so it you try to go over cobblestones with it it can be rather uncomfortable - a bit like shocks going through you. It will take small kerbs but nothing higher than about 3-4 inches. On the ships I have used it on - Aurora and Ventura it has been much admired for how small it is. For me - I'm hoping my use of it is temporary as I have a knee replacement next week - it has made life easier. I think if I needed one long term I would probably have a larger one that would go up and down kerbs easier but then it wouldn't be as transportable as the Luggie is. We did buy a separate charger so we can take the battery out of the scooter and charge it separately without having to have the Luggie unfolded while it's charging.

If there's any other queries you have just ask.

Carole

Annezeals
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Annezeals »

Hi Carole, you are correct we did meet up with yourself and John on the Azura. I thought it was you but as I haven't been on the forum for so long,I wasn't sure.
Your Luggie sounds just the thing any chance of a photo.
Your message has practically made my mind up for me, but I might try to hire one first just to see how I go. Oh,yes nearly forgot...what type of battery does it have as seemly P&O are particular about the type being used.
Thank you for all your help,
Anne

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Anne, it uses a Lithium Polymer battery. You will find when you fill in the Mobility Questionnaire that P&O require you also have to give the measurements of the scooter both open and closed. If you go to the Luggie Scooters website you'll see the Standard one shown on the left of the page which gives pictures of all the different styles. One thing I did find with P&O when you arrive at the terminal and go to the right to the Assistance people who will tick you off on their list of people who are allowed to take scooters on board they may or may not give you a label to put on the scooter which you leave on - on my first cruise with a scooter I didn't get a label on Ventura earlier this month I did. You don't really need assistance when you board the ship and I didn't request assistance to disembark but I found that I got put on the assistance list anyway. This means you get a specific place to go to wait to disembark and you will get off early which is very good!

Carole

Annezeals
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Annezeals »

Thank you Carole. I have just found out you can't take mobility scooters on Arcadia. X :(

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Kitchie12 wrote: 30 Jan 2017, 09:48
Thank you Carole. I have just found out you can't take mobility scooters on Arcadia. X :(
???????? Of course you can. We had 5 weeks on Arcadia before Christmas.

Do you mean you do not have the correct cabin for a scooter. Remember it has to be an adapted cabin or a suite or mini suite.

There is no ban on any ship for mobility scooters.

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Anne, Dai is quite right. When you fill in the mobility form you have to put which cruise you are going on and which cabin you have booked. We had a mini suite on Aurora the first time I took a scooter on board and a suite on Ventura earlier this month. I don't know if the Superior Deluxe cabins on those ships which don't have mini suites are included or not. You certainly can't take a scooter if you have an ordinary balcony cabin or inside or outside cabin. Hope you are able to solve your problem.

Carole

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

CaroleF wrote: 31 Jan 2017, 12:01
Anne, Dai is quite right. When you fill in the mobility form you have to put which cruise you are going on and which cabin you have booked. We had a mini suite on Aurora the first time I took a scooter on board and a suite on Ventura earlier this month. I don't know if the Superior Deluxe cabins on those ships which don't have mini suites are included or not. You certainly can't take a scooter if you have an ordinary balcony cabin or inside or outside cabin. Hope you are able to solve your problem.

Carole
Carol, the superior deluxe cabins are not available for scooter users only suites and mini suites. This is annoying as I have used these cabins on Ventura and Azura before with ease. Plenty of room for the scooter and it is stored out of the way.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Can anyone explain why you can't have a scooter in a normal balcony cabin, but you can have one of the large modern baby buggies? On Ventura recently there was one parked in the corridor outside an inside cabin every day; it was larger than many scooters.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

anniec wrote: 31 Jan 2017, 17:08
Can anyone explain why you can't have a scooter in a normal balcony cabin, but you can have one of the large modern baby buggies? On Ventura recently there was one parked in the corridor outside an inside cabin every day; it was larger than many scooters.
Good point Anniec, maybe someone should start a petition to parliament about this. ;)
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

towny44 wrote: 31 Jan 2017, 22:54
anniec wrote: 31 Jan 2017, 17:08
Good point Anniec, maybe someone should start a petition to parliament about this. ;)
:lol:

Trouble is, instead of re-thinking the scooter policy, they'd ban pushchairs. Then suitcases, carry-on cases, bags, people... :sarcasm:

Cleo of the Nile + 9
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Cleo of the Nile + 9 »

Hello all, I am new to this forum. However, we are travelling on Britannia in about 3 weeks, and my husband has a Luggie, I notice there were a few questions regarding this. We find it great, we have travelled a lot with it, it is the Standard, fold up into our boot, my husband has M.S. he has good upper body strength at the moment, so he can lift it. We had a few problems on the Oceania Riviera last year, as the gang way they used had a hump at the top, so the lovely crew helped us. We have a suite on the Britannia and it is our first time sailing on her, we did Arcadia a long time ago, but did not enjoy it too much, as it was a long voyage to the Caribbean. This is only for 7 days. Hopefully, all you sailors with knee and mobility problems will have a good holiday. I don't like walking too much and am told we are on Deck 14 outside of lift. Hopefully this will be o.k. :relaxed:

Topic author
CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I hope you have a wonderful cruise Cleo. I found everyone very helpful when I went on board with my Luggie. The most difficult thing I found was exiting the lifts. Assuming you drive forwards in then you have to reverse out. The Luggie being small does not have reversing beepers or a mirror so I'm always hoping I don't run over anyone's toes!

Carole

Cleo of the Nile + 9
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Cleo of the Nile + 9 »

Hi Carole, thanks for replying, my name is Arlette, my husband has the scooter, as regards the lift, I usually stand behind or in front and make beeping noises, the amount of times we have had laughs or funny looks about this are countless. Hope that all of you out there sailing wherever, have a great cruise. :lol:

Return to “Cruising for the Disabled”