Strictly

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Strictly

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

That's surely a lapse of grammar in itself?

But that aside does anyone other than Foxy know what he's talking about? Past participles? Isn't that what the Hadrien's Colander is looking for?
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 04 Oct 2017, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Thank you teacher.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Another week of "ups and downs" mainly by the judges - some of their marking bears no resemblance to the comments that they make.

Does anyone else get the impression that the new judge, Shirley whatever her name is, has favourites and is biased against some of the contestants?

Who will be in the dance off tonight - I wonder if there will a "surprise"??

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I assume it will be Simon Rimmer and it will be him who goes, but I don't know who else. Susan? Am enjoying this series, especially watching it with my 8 year old Grandaughter who is allowed to stay up specially to watch seeing as it's Saturday.

Carole

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'm not sure if there will be any surprises on the usual scale this year. I can't really see a "comedy" candidate in the same league as Ann Widdecombe, Russell Grant, John Sergeant etc who were totally useless dancers but gained the support to vote them back against the odds.

I reckon we have several brilliant contestants who will be there to fight it out in the later stages, and another clearly less able group who will be eliminated in the next few weeks. But I can't spot the dark horse.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Well didn't see that coming.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

But it happens every year - there is one of the "better" dancers in the dance off to ensure that another dancer is voted off.

I wonder how much is due to Brendan's disagreement last week!
Last edited by david63 on 15 Oct 2017, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think that was probably significant with both the judges and the audience vote. If the latter was high enough they wouldn't have even been in the dance off. Must admit I don't like Brendan at all.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Charlotte never looked confident or at ease with the dancing so I was hardly surprised she went. I expect she may have breathed a huge sense of relief. As for Brendan he is so full of his own importance I won't really miss him, very different to the enthusiasm of Gemma Atkinson's partner Aljaz,

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 08:15
... the audience vote. If the latter was high enough ...
That presumes that the audience vote has an influence. I think that it is highly suspicious that the BEEB never publish the voting results.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'm sure that since it is charged it is also audited. Since a problem some years back the BBC has very strict rules on governance and compliance where any sort of audience interaction is concerned.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I certainly didn't see that coming either. I thought it amazing that neither Simon, nor Brian were in the bottom two - I think they were both as amazed too. There's a lot in the papers this morning apparently plus a rumour that Brendan Cole may be about to quit the show. He was annoyed, they are saying, that he wasn't chosen to take Len's place on the panel. Shirley Ballas was apparently on Good Morning Britain this morning along with Charlotte of course, who is a presenter, and was given a lot of stick by Piers Morgan for Charlotte Hawkins leaving and also for mistakenly calling Charlotte, Mollie. Goodness knows what will happen next week.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 09:23
I'm sure that since it is charged it is also audited.
I'm sure that is the case - but just because it is audited it does not mean that those are the results that are given out. And when is it audited - three weeks later?
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 09:23
Since a problem some years back the BBC has very strict rules on governance and compliance where any sort of audience interaction is concerned.
OK - we will all go along with that!!!!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

CaroleF wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 11:22
was given a lot of stick by Piers Morgan for Charlotte Hawkins leaving and also for mistakenly calling Charlotte, Mollie.
Do y'know, I'm getting a bit fed up with these so-called celebrities who feel they need to question everything if their colleague doesn't have everything their own way. Clearly Piers is supporting Charlotte because of brand loyalty, then we get Sky supporting 'Team Ruth' because she is married to Eamonn and you just get fed up with all the in-fighting. I'm not interested in who they support, just stick to presenting the news etc.
I read somewhere that Eamonn Holmes was not happy because he, and the audience, were kept at the studio for five hours whilst watching the show, the results coming through and then the recording of the results show. I feel sure there would be plenty of people happy to take his place. It wouldn't be costing him anything anyway and I presume there will be refreshments for their celebrity guests. Stop your moaning Eamonn. I'm afraid some of these so-alled celebrities do have a high and mighty opinion of themselves and I can't be doing with them!!
Rant over. :lol:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I felt rather sorry for Charlotte. She never seemed confident and I don't think there was much chemistry between her and Brendan. I think Brendan needs to call it a day now, he is way past his sell by date, and his choreography seems dated compared to the younger guys like Aljaz (swoon) and Gorka (double swoon).

On our Aurora cruise earlier this year, Karen Hardy was one of our speakers and she intimated that she was after the head judge role. She's missing from 'It Takes Two' this year, so I suspect she may be another one whose nose is out of joint
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

“Matching” Charlotte with Brendan was always going to be a disaster. She never comes across as a confident woman and Brendan being so fiercely competetive would steam roller her I suspect. Despite what both he and she said, I think his little confronation with Shirley last week was because he was annoyed for receiving the low score himself, Charlotte just happened to be his partner. Or perhaps I’m wrong!

There again, perhaps the couples are “matched” very cleverly, to stage manage the eliminations of those that aren’t favoured.
Gill

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Isn't it about time that the BBC stopped pretending that the Results Show is done on Sunday when everyone knows it's recorded on Saturday evening - even if the judges change their clothes - well the women and the presenters. Then the BBC gets cross when someone posts 'Spoilers'.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

They will do that when they stop pretending it is a dancing contest - ie never !

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I don't think they ever claim the results show is live. They just never say it isn't and people assume. Given that the vast majority of t.v. shows are recorded it's not an issue for me one way or the other.

And likewise Cubie, I'm not sure they actually claim it's a dance contest. If they did half the contestants wouldn't pass the audition. Again some of the audience assume that and get upset when their favourite is bounced out by a dancing donkey!

For us it's just a good Saturday night entertainment show.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Not forgetting a good leer at Debbie McGee's legs !

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I presume all the men would be voting to see the lovely Nadya Bychkova dancing with Davood again. As has been said before, it's just good entertainment.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I suspect there are a number of both male snd female viewers who vote for the professionals as much as the celebs.

And as someone who took up dancing this year I recognise a good fleckerl when I see one. And a decent chassis.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Don't think that there will be any surprises this week!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Brian must be for the chop.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

The difference between those that can, and those that can’t, is becoming much more apparent.
Gill

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”