Web site extremely slow

Please post any problems that you encounter here
User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 26 Oct 2018, 12:19

The web site has been extremely slow this morning with pages struggling to load. That was up until just now when it suddenly burst back into life.

Has management been tinkering?

User avatar

Onelife
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4370
Joined: January 2013

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Onelife » 26 Oct 2018, 12:40

Stephen wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 12:19
The web site has been extremely slow this morning with pages struggling to load. That was up until just now when it suddenly burst back into life.

Has management been tinkering?
That'll teach you not to upset my best mate David.......thinking about it David why don't you turn him off completely :thumbup:
Last edited by Manoverboard on 26 Oct 2018, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9213
Joined: February 2013

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 26 Oct 2018, 13:34

No problem for those of us who haven't dissed the Chief Plod.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4073
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by towny44 » 26 Oct 2018, 14:02

Are you using Chrome as your browser Stephen? I do and over the last few days it has been erratically sluggish, if you get my drift, it's either Chrome or a recent update of Windows 10 which always seem to create more problems than it fixes.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 26 Oct 2018, 14:10

Windows 7 John. All working fine again now.

I think Onelife lent David 20p for the meter until he can get to the bank :D

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5495
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by david63 » 26 Oct 2018, 16:08

It was slow earlier today but it was nothing I was doing - I suspect the hosts were "tinkering"
towny44 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 14:02
Are you using Chrome as your browser Stephen? I do and over the last few days it has been erratically sluggish, if you get my drift, it's either Chrome or a recent update of Windows 10 which always seem to create more problems than it fixes.
John - there are many problems at the moment with Chrome not behaving as it should, not only with this software but generally.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4073
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by towny44 » 26 Oct 2018, 16:28

david63 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 16:08
It was slow earlier today but it was nothing I was doing - I suspect the hosts were "tinkering"
towny44 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 14:02
Are you using Chrome as your browser Stephen? I do and over the last few days it has been erratically sluggish, if you get my drift, it's either Chrome or a recent update of Windows 10 which always seem to create more problems than it fixes.
John - there are many problems at the moment with Chrome not behaving as it should, not only with this software but generally.
David, do you know if they intend to, indeed can, fix it?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5495
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by david63 » 26 Oct 2018, 17:47

towny44 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 16:28
David, do you know if they intend to, indeed can, fix it?
Not a clue - I very rarely use Chrome

User avatar

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1573
Joined: January 2013

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Kenmo1 » 26 Oct 2018, 18:34

towny44 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 14:02
Are you using Chrome as your browser Stephen? I do and over the last few days it has been erratically sluggish, if you get my drift, it's either Chrome or a recent update of Windows 10 which always seem to create more problems than it fixes.
Thanks for posting that, towny. I thought it was something I had done as it has happened a couple of evenings. I usually just assume that it is me who has messed up (actually it normally is me - my son calls me a numpty when it comes to computers).

Maureen

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6967
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Manoverboard » 29 Oct 2018, 11:53

It seems to be slow again …... :thumbdown:

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 29 Oct 2018, 14:05

Had a couple of error messages this afternoon. The first was 'THIS PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED'.

The second was this.

Click on it to enlarge

Untitledh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stephen on 29 Oct 2018, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.


Ray B
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer
Posts: 454
Joined: January 2013

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Ray B » 29 Oct 2018, 15:53

it was a tad cold last night, maybe the valves took longer to warm up.

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 29 Oct 2018, 16:15

Fire lighters required....perhaps :D

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 30 Oct 2018, 18:16

Web pages currently struggling to load. I have just had to login again for the second time within a week.

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4073
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by towny44 » 31 Oct 2018, 13:37

Stephen wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 18:16
Web pages currently struggling to load. I have just had to login again for the second time within a week.
Done exactly the same to me just now Stephen, well that was after taking an eternity to think about it.
Come on David sort out your platforms host.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6672
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cumbria

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by oldbluefox » 31 Oct 2018, 14:29

Is it time to empty our message pages?

User avatar

Manoverboard
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 6967
Joined: January 2013
Location: Dorset

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Manoverboard » 01 Nov 2018, 10:05

Good plan, I have deleted all bar one page of my Inbox and Sent Folders … it seems to have speeded up already :wave:

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5495
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by david63 » 01 Nov 2018, 10:42

oldbluefox wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 14:29
Is it time to empty our message pages?
Unfortunately that will not help. It appears that the site is being inundated by spam bots

User avatar

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1413
Joined: June 2014

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Happydays » 01 Nov 2018, 15:01

Still very slow, I gave up yesterday as everything was taking so long :(

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4073
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by towny44 » 01 Nov 2018, 15:20

david63 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 10:42
oldbluefox wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 14:29
Is it time to empty our message pages?
Unfortunately that will not help. It appears that the site is being inundated by spam bots
Just what is a spam bot and who is inundatng us with them, and why?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5495
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by david63 » 01 Nov 2018, 15:37

towny44 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 15:20
Just what is a spam bot
An automated program that keeps trying to access the site - they are fairly common and most gets these attacks from time to time.
towny44 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 15:20
who is inundatng us with them
Someone somewhere in China
towny44 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 15:20
and why
That is the twenty four thousand dollar question - because they are idiots with nothing better to do with their time.

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 01 Nov 2018, 15:51

towny44 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 15:20
david63 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 10:42
oldbluefox wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 14:29
Is it time to empty our message pages?
Unfortunately that will not help. It appears that the site is being inundated by spam bots
Just what is a spam bot and who is inundatng us with them, and why?
Glad you asked John as I hadn't got a clue either :thumbup:

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4073
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by towny44 » 01 Nov 2018, 16:51

Stephen wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 15:51
towny44 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 15:20
david63 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 10:42
oldbluefox wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 14:29
Is it time to empty our message pages?
Unfortunately that will not help. It appears that the site is being inundated by spam bots
Just what is a spam bot and who is inundatng us with them, and why?
Glad you asked John as I hadn't got a clue either :thumbup:
Well even though we now know there seems little we can do.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 02 Nov 2018, 12:11

I did find a web page telling how to kill the spam bot program, if that is definitely the cause, but I'm sure David is on the case. :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 02 Nov 2018, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1413
Joined: June 2014

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Happydays » 02 Nov 2018, 14:55

I have every confidence in David sorting it out :)

User avatar

towny44
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer
Posts: 4073
Joined: January 2013
Location: Huddersfield

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by towny44 » 02 Nov 2018, 14:57

Happydays wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 14:55
I have every confidence in David sorting it out :)
If he is going to sort out Chinese spam botters, he maybe needs to disguise himself as Poirot rather than a purple smurf. :lol:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

User avatar

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5495
Joined: January 2012
Location: Lancashire

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by david63 » 03 Nov 2018, 11:48

I think that I have managed to get rid of the idiots and normal service should now be resumed

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 03 Nov 2018, 12:07

Normal service has resumed. Thank you David :thumbup:

User avatar

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer
Posts: 1413
Joined: June 2014

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Happydays » 03 Nov 2018, 23:43

Well done David, noticed a big improvement tonight :)

User avatar

Mervyn and Trish
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9213
Joined: February 2013

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Mervyn and Trish » 04 Nov 2018, 08:45

The spam bots are on the naughty step with smacked bottoms
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 04 Nov 2018, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Topic author
Stephen
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain
Posts: 9334
Joined: January 2013
Location: Down Souf. The civilised end of the country :)

Re: Web site extremely slow

Post by Stephen » 04 Nov 2018, 10:49

Got asked to login again this morning even though I always tick the 'stay logged in' box.
Seems to be getting a regular occurrence.

Return to “Forum Problems/Discussion”