E303 - Atlantic Islands

Arrange to meet other members whilst on a cruise on Oceana

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: E303 - Atlantic Islands

Post by Emrobo » 07 Feb 2013, 13:28

anneed wrote:Hi Tractor Boy, I'm Anne Edwards. I did join in the meeting place posts on the P&O site so you may remember me from there.
Hi Anne.

There was no way of finding everyone who replied on P&O in the meeting place

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 07 Feb 2013, 13:45

Hi Anne, yes I remember, I wanted to join your team but I wouldnt be much good to you at that time of night :D

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 07 Feb 2013, 14:46

tractor boy wrote:Hi Anne, yes I remember, I wanted to join your team but I wouldnt be much good to you at that time of night :D
Ha ha Yes I remember you saying that now

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed » 07 Feb 2013, 15:05

No worries about getting quizzical. I'm used to travelling solo and I'll try to find a friendly team to join. Just takes a bit of courage the first night. Not sure what I'd do if the quiz master asked if anyone wanted an extra member and no one answered. Run away sobbing I suppose.

Anyway, I'm really getting excited about the cruise now and keep checking the temperatures for our ports of call. I've booked trips for each one except Lisbon. Particularly looking forward to sherry and horses in Cadiz as I've heard that's really good. I'm doing the cable car in Madeira too although I hadn't realised quite what I was letting myself in for - looks rather scary now...

I was worried about the prices shooting up if I didn't book the trips in advance. This new paying in advance arrangement is a rather a cunning ploy by P&O to get our money in their coffers for longer I reckon!

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 07 Feb 2013, 19:29

anneed wrote:No worries about getting quizzical. I'm used to travelling solo and I'll try to find a friendly team to join. Just takes a bit of courage the first night. Not sure what I'd do if the quiz master asked if anyone wanted an extra member and no one answered. Run away sobbing I suppose.

Anyway, I'm really getting excited about the cruise now and keep checking the temperatures for our ports of call. I've booked trips for each one except Lisbon. Particularly looking forward to sherry and horses in Cadiz as I've heard that's really good. I'm doing the cable car in Madeira too although I hadn't realised quite what I was letting myself in for - looks rather scary now...

I was worried about the prices shooting up if I didn't book the trips in advance. This new paying in advance arrangement is a rather a cunning ploy by P&O to get our money in their coffers for longer I reckon!
Anne, my mum is travelling with us and I encouraged her to go to the single traveller events so she could meet other people, not that we won't let her join us. We love the quizzes so you are more than welcome to join us :)

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed » 08 Feb 2013, 13:42

Hi EmRobo, That's very kind of you - do you do the syndicate quiz at 10.45pm? If so look out for the tallish woman with dark hair hovering uncertainly near the quiz table at the first one, it may well be me.

Also I usually check out the singles coffee get together so I'll look out for your mum. What's her name?

panda53
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by panda53 » 09 Feb 2013, 01:09

You are very welcome to join us also Anne, it is just hubby and myself and we will be at the syndicate quiz. Getting very excited now about the cruise :)

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 09 Feb 2013, 08:32

Don't think we have ever had a go at the syndicate quiz, is that anywhere in particular? Think we have only attempted the ones in the 'English pub bar' but will give anything a go as the kids will be in their club

panda53
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by panda53 » 09 Feb 2013, 12:19

Hi Emrobo, I can't remember where it is on Oceana but I expect it will be well publicised. Are you travelling down on the Eavesway coach?

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 09 Feb 2013, 12:59

Hi Panda

No we are driving down ourselves on the Friday, we usually drive down the day before and stay over at a hotel :)

panda53
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by panda53 » 09 Feb 2013, 13:01

Have a safe trip. Not long to go now :)

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed » 09 Feb 2013, 16:09

Hi Panda, Thanks for the quiz invite and yes, I'd be very pleased to join you. What do you both look like so I know who to look for. I can't work out how to get my picture on this site but I do post occasionally on the P&O facebook site so you might see me there (I'm Anne Edwards). I'm on second sitting dinner so have to miss coffee sometimes to make the quiz! If Emrobo and partner join us we'll almost have a full team.
Anne

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 09 Feb 2013, 19:19

Yes there will be myself, Husband and my mum

I have brown hair, 5'10'', husband has dark brown hair, and glasses most people call him Harry Potter, and my mum has dark hair and glasses

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed » 10 Feb 2013, 10:39

Ok Emrobo (is it Emma and Rob?) will look out for Harry. Just hope he's a wizard at quizzing!

Anne

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 10 Feb 2013, 12:54

anneed wrote:Ok Emrobo (is it Emma and Rob?) will look out for Harry. Just hope he's a wizard at quizzing!

Anne

Ha ha no unfortunately he isn't!!

You were close, yes its Emma and my surname Robinson :)

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 11 Feb 2013, 12:19

I am on countdown now!! Last of online shopping has arrived, now our next problem is to get two adults and two children with 2 weeks of nappies in 2 cases!!! Last time we took 3 cases with 'hand luggage' sized bags, and had to carry formal wear onboard (Royal wedding on embarkation so first night was formal).

Now my mum is coming with us we need to fit her two cases in the car too with two pushchairs!!

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 11 Feb 2013, 14:23

just booked our hotel for the night before, so it must be getting close now.

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 11 Feb 2013, 14:24

tractor boy wrote:just booked our hotel for the night before, so it must be getting close now.
Where are you staying? We booked ours last May when we booked our cruise hee hee

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 11 Feb 2013, 14:25

Emrobo wrote:I am on countdown now!! Last of online shopping has arrived, now our next problem is to get two adults and two children with 2 weeks of nappies in 2 cases!!! Last time we took 3 cases with 'hand luggage' sized bags, and had to carry formal wear onboard (Royal wedding on embarkation so first night was formal).

Now my mum is coming with us we need to fit her two cases in the car too with two pushchairs!!
I obviously didn't mean to get the 4 of us in one case!!!

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 11 Feb 2013, 14:33

I did wonder if you was trying to sneak aboard in the suitcases. We are staying at Chilworth manor, we usualy stay there as its a lovely old hotel, its got a great little pub just down the road that does really good food. Its about 10 minutes drive from the docks and you can get a room for less than the Holiday inn.

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 11 Feb 2013, 14:40

tractor boy wrote:I did wonder if you was trying to sneak aboard in the suitcases. We are staying at Chilworth manor, we usualy stay there as its a lovely old hotel, its got a great little pub just down the road that does really good food. Its about 10 minutes drive from the docks and you can get a room for less than the Holiday inn.
I will try anything to get a free cruise :)

Sounds a lovely hotel.

We have actually booked the Holiday Inn by the rose bowl as it was only £40 including breakfast for the four of us, so I couldn't grumble. We will travel down about 10-11am on the Friday and we meet a friend with her children and go to soft play, give the little 'uns a chance to stretch their legs. Just looking for a family friendly pub now, although my friend has given me a few suggestions now.

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 11 Feb 2013, 14:53

holiday inn is now £64 for a night. I like getting to Southampton the day before because you can start your holiday having only been stuck in the car for 10 minutes instead of 2 and half hours, I would imagine its quite a bit longer for you

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 14 Feb 2013, 14:34

You must all be busy packing, no one been on hear for a while

makina
Cadet
Cadet

Post by makina » 15 Feb 2013, 07:59

Busy yes, packing not yet. Cases & bags are down, lists are wrote, last next order done, starting to tie up loose ends with work. Packing will commense next week!! Bring on the madness.

One question do you change money here or on board?

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed » 15 Feb 2013, 09:40

I usually get a load of Euros beforehand in M&S. Don't know if it works out any cheaper but it's just one less thing to have to think about. I have found Euros are acceptable pretty well everywhere even when they say local currency is needed. I can't see a canny Casablanca salesman turning his nose up at hard cash. I'll bet all the souvenirs are priced in Euros and dollars.

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 15 Feb 2013, 09:51

Same as Anne, we always get ours before we go, Remember, they only do anything on board to make money so it you will get better rates at home. US dollars are a handy thing to have for Casablanca but as Anne said they will most likley accept anything

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 15 Feb 2013, 10:07

Having a nightmare here - my daughter turns 5 next week (in half term) so her party is tomorrow so busy making the cake. The dog is really poorly and is looking like a £500 vet bill - she is in today for scan and op (plus my eldest has special needs so having problems with her at the mo and lots of appointments) - I so need this holiday!

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 15 Feb 2013, 11:45

sounds like you are having a nightmare, just 2 weeks to go so hang on in there. I hope all goes well.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner » 15 Feb 2013, 19:56

Hi, I was on the old forum and have only just found this group. It's my wife's birthday on March 10th, so we will have something to celebrate then too!

Quizzes are an interest, so you will find us there some evenings: - that is assuming we make it to the ship this time. (see my posting on the main wall.)

Cheers

oldbluefox
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by oldbluefox » 15 Feb 2013, 20:09

Hi NSAM,
Pleased you found us. Welcome!!

Kendhni
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Kendhni » 16 Feb 2013, 06:43

And welcome from me to NSAM, welcome aboard

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed » 16 Feb 2013, 14:53

Hi Not So Ancient Mariner, I remember you from the P&O site, it would be lovely to meet you. Can't find the post about your problems getting to the ship but I hope you overcome them whatever they are.

Two weeks today we'll all be on board (hopefully!). Can't wait for that first moment when you cross the gangplank and set foot on board. It's like coming home. Lovely.

Anne

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner » 16 Feb 2013, 18:31

You're especially right about 'coming home', as it will be the first time we have done a repeat cruise on the same ship. Indeed because of last summer's hiatus, Oceana remains the last ship we were on. I won't tempt fate by banging on about that story, as I can let you know in a fortnight's time, and it won't matter then.

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 17 Feb 2013, 23:12

Hello NSAM :)

Quick question, hubby and I are baffled with the syndicate quiz, we thought it was the quiz in the 'English Bar' but when someone mentioned the time and with it being later on in the evening we have now realised we have never had a go at the syndicate quiz, anyone care to enlighten us? I assume like everything else it will be in the horizon paper, but how is it different to the other quizzes?

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner » 18 Feb 2013, 07:01

The syndicate quiz was held in the Plaza when we were last on board. The only real difference from other quizzes that I can remember , is that every answer was handed in and marked before the next question was asked. I think it was the slightly offbeat nature of the questions that appealed most.
Look out for the hat.

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Syndicate quiz

Post by anneed » 18 Feb 2013, 10:31

The syndicate quiz usually takes place at 10.45pm - to give people like me on second sitting a fighting chance of getting there. Teams are a maximum of six and it lasts around 45mins. I think they only ask about 20 questions and it's general knowledge. The prize is a bottle or two of P&O plonk but it's the winning that counts!

People tend to stay in their teams and compete each night. However, I like to go to some of the shows so I won't be there every evening.

Be warned, no matter how much people say 'It's only a bit of fun' it gets deadly serious. I've seen some really funny rows with the question master over answers and even people walking out - it's a hoot. Despite this, it's very popular and there are usually a lot of teams.

It's definitely adults only Emma, so you'll need a babysitter.

Hope I haven't put you off - you can always try it once!

Mariner - hat? I am intrigued - what sort of hat??

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Emrobo » 18 Feb 2013, 10:32

Thanks Both for the info!! I do like quizzes but as I said I don't think we ever went to the syndicate quiz - we always seemed to end up doing the pub style quizzes but willing to try anything once (or twice!)

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: It's me!

Post by anneed » 18 Feb 2013, 10:40

And I've finally worked out how to do my avatar - so now you know what I look like!

Topic author
Emrobo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: It's me!

Post by Emrobo » 18 Feb 2013, 11:30

anneed wrote:And I've finally worked out how to do my avatar - so now you know what I look like!
:thumbup:

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 18 Feb 2013, 11:43

Hi NSAM glad to see you found us. Anne, iirc NSAM has a baseball cap with "Ancient mariner" on it.

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed » 18 Feb 2013, 13:56

Thanks Tractor Boy, he should be easy to spot then.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner » 18 Feb 2013, 16:53

Assuming, of course, that Tractor Boy's information is correct!

Actually he's spot on. We could use a memory like that in the syndicate quiz!

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 18 Feb 2013, 17:52

sorry NSAM, as I said on the other forum, my memory becomes a bit foggy that time of night when I am on holiday, something to do with waiters forcing me to drink wine and bartenders with their beer

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner » 18 Feb 2013, 22:56

It's a hard life! :-)

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob » 18 Feb 2013, 23:10

Hi Ann, good to hear from you again. We are not on this cruise but you previously asked about Casablanca. We did the trip to 'Imperial Rabat' which we really enjoyed. Morocco is not as bad as you might fear, I suppose it must be the French influence. The coach trip was about an hour from what I can remember with a stop halfway at a motorway service station. Then we saw the imperial palace and a couple of historical sights and a short walk in the old fortified area by which time it was pouring down with rain so we didn't stay long. The only downside for us was that we got back to the ship too late to see anything of the own itself.

Good luck with the quizzes, sorry I shan't be there to swap answers with you ;)

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 19 Feb 2013, 10:12

Still not listed on ABP Southampton website. I better call them and let them know she is coming :D

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Quizzical Bob

Post by anneed » 19 Feb 2013, 10:20

Hi Bob, Thanks for that. I'm particularly looking forward to the Casablanca stop and hope I've picked the right trip. Didn't fancy being in a busy city and the pictures of the Portuguese connections place (can't remember the name offhand) look really nice.
Anne

tractor boy
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by tractor boy » 19 Feb 2013, 15:13

good news, we are now on ABP website :D

anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed » 19 Feb 2013, 17:08

Oh dear, the weather's not looking great for any of our stops at the moment. Must remember to take my brolly.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner » 19 Feb 2013, 20:25

We may be on the ABP website, but they have us down as returning to Ocean terminal on the 16th, and P&O seem to think we are docking at Mayflower!

Return to “The Meeting Place - Oceana”