P&O Site Update

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

P&O Site Update

Post by david63 »

Anyone else seen the "updated" P&O site - even more difficult to see what is available and at what price.

Why can they not grasp the point that if you are interested in a cruise you want to know what grades of cabin are available and what the price is for each grade without having to spend hours making "dummy" bookings.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: P&O Site Update

Post by Kendhni »

There is a current website design fashion known as 'Mobile First' - the basic idea is to write a site that is suitable for the smallest device (mobile) and not worry about the other users. Having just looked at the new P&O site it is a prime example of why that is not necessarily a good design in all instances. Basically desktop users are now forced to scroll through information that could be easily presented - it is a very poor use of screen space.

Not only that but the animation they use to move between elements of the accordion is infuriatingly slow.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Was trying to get into Cruise Personaliser the first time the new site came up, not knowing it was an upgrade I kept trying for the home page, after no success I started pressing the boxes that looked like they mat be the one till I finally hit on Customer Support. Still, we live and learn.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote:
There is a current website design fashion known as 'Mobile First' - the basic idea is to write a site that is suitable for the smallest device (mobile) and not worry about the other users.
Or if you really want to consider your users you do the job properly (albeit more time consuming) and just make your site "responsive" so that it will work on any device.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

david63 wrote:
Kendhni wrote:
There is a current website design fashion known as 'Mobile First' - the basic idea is to write a site that is suitable for the smallest device (mobile) and not worry about the other users.
Or if you really want to consider your users you do the job properly (albeit more time consuming) and just make your site "responsive" so that it will work on any device.

nah, far too simple
Meg
x

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

"Saved Cruises" has disappeared - or if it hasn't disappeared it's taking a lot of finding. I haven't found it yet, despite a lot of looking.

All my research, putting ' possibles' together, in a spot where I could easily compare and make a decision, and then a booking ... gone! What sort of commercial sense is that???

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I thought I was on the Celebrity web site for a minute

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

I must admit I hate the new p&o site I have a desktop computer and everything is nearly impossible to find what happened to the box you put the cruise no you were interested in in and it came straight up giving details of all the ports the cruise was going to,
to simple I suppose luckily we have 3 cruises booked but when they are gone we will certainly not look at the present p&o site to book others as it is a a useless mess. :o :twisted:
graham
Last edited by poole boy on 18 Dec 2016, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Not keen either,and I can't find saved cruises.

Very off-putting. Not easy to navigate.

Lindsry

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

The new site still has the feature "Your recently viewed cruises" on the very bottom of the first page. Not quite the same or as extensive as the saved cruise feature was, but still gives you a possibility to keep a log of interesting cruises, however no idea how often it gets overwritten.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

johnds
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by johnds »

poole boy wrote:
I must admit I hate the new p&o site I have a desktop computer and everything is nearly impossible to find what happened to the box you put the cruise no you were interested in in and it came straight up giving details of all the ports the cruise was going to,

graham

Click on the magnifying glass at the top right and you can then type in the cruise number you want
John

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Thank you johnds but can you explain why when I do that and enter D716 or as on the old site D716p I just get a page of rubbish much like the p&o site really
graham

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

What is it in IT people's psyche that when they have something that is working and people are familiar with they feel the need to change it? I can understand it when new features are needed but I've not spotted them yet on this new site.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

I'm another who will miss the "Your Saved Cruises" option - unusually for the P&O website it was really useful and allowed you to quickly and easily compare a number of cruises continually over a period of weeks or even months if necessary.

The "Your Recently Viewed Cruises" that John mentioned has been around for a while I think (it's usually right at the bottom of a very long web page) but I don't think it's a good substitute for the "My Saved Cruises" IMO. I look at a lot of cruises (many of which may turn out to be unsuitable, or ones for when we win the lottery) so I only really want to re-view the ones I'm seriously interested in - what a shame p&o don't have a little "save" button to facilitate this ! Oh hang on, they did, but they've just got rid of it !! :eh: oh well, first world problem :roll:

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

This morning a little red heart has appeared at the top of the PO site with a 2 next to it and my 2 saved cruises had reappeared.

Hopefully all yours will reappear.

Maureen

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

well I have just opened the P&O website up no red hearts for us still think the site is very difficult to get round we would never book a cruise from it so the t/a have nothing to worry about in our opinion
graham :(

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Kenmo1 wrote:
This morning a little red heart has appeared at the top of the PO site with a 2 next to it and my 2 saved cruises had reappeared.

Hopefully all yours will reappear.

Maureen
Thanks for the tip off Mauren - unlike poor Graham I do now have a red heart at the top of page which takes me back to the cruises I had saved before the site update went through :D

I'd suggest this change was "due to customer feedback" but I've only ever seen P&O use that phrase for bad news/changes and this is definitely a good one :crazy:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
What is it in IT people's psyche that when they have something that is working and people are familiar with they feel the need to change it? I can understand it when new features are needed but I've not spotted them yet on this new site.
Microsoft do it all the time.

If the BBC news site can recognise what device is being used and display content according, there is no reason why P&O cannot do the same.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Microsoft do it all the time.

If the BBC news site can recognise what device is being used and display content according, there is no reason why P&O cannot do the same.
Now don't go praising Auntie Beeb. You'll give poor Towny one of his turns :sarcasm:

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

just tried the P&O website again still no red heart for us
I really do agree with merv there was nothing wrong with the old web site so why change it
graham

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

poole boy wrote:
just tried the P&O website again still no red heart for us
I really do agree with merv there was nothing wrong with the old web site so why change it
graham
That's annoying for you, graham, but might help save a lot of money and misery. My saved ones are now up to 7. Of those 7, 2 of them are booked and like an idiot I keep watching the prices and at present feeling pleased that we booked them when we did as the prices have increased. If I look and the price goes down, I will be really cheesed off. Three others are Christmas ones - this I blame on reading Raybosailor's review of his Christmas cruise as it has tempted us again, so I am just keeping an eye on those and kicking myself about the Ventura one in particular because the price has gone up. One of the others is for my 70th birthday in 2018 but that is too far in advance for us to book because of insurance issues for my husband. The last one is one that my sister is doing to the Baltic in May and we were debating on joining her but that price has gone up quite a bit.

I am starting to think that Christopher Edgington has turned things around quite a bit and there aren't the bargains that we used to look for and that it pays to book early on at a price you are happy with ( and stop being an idiot like me and keep looking once booked).

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

Kenmo
I would agree with you that it seems a lot better to book early as prices seem to rise we have 3 cruises booked and they are all dearer now than when we booked but don't think it has anything to do with mr Edgington think it is just the fact that cruising is much more popular now hence all the new boats on all lines
graham

Return to “P&O”