Anyone Else Underwhelmed?

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone Else Underwhelmed?

Post by david63 »

The release of Winter 2019/2020 cruises today has left me totally underwhelmed :thumbdown: - I cannot find anything at all to tempt me :(

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Anyone Else Underwhelmed?

Post by Meg 50 »

haven't seen them - despite umpteen requests we are still off the mailing list
Meg
x

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

allatc
First Officer
First Officer

Post by allatc »

Wouldn't mind Aurora's Caribbean and American Discovery or Arcadia's Western Circumnavigation but can't afford either.

Dubai doesn't appeal.

Might consider Caribbean fly-cruise but would compare with Princess and RCI before booking.

Actually I'm finding most of the big player cruise itineraries rather uninspiring.

Maybe it's partly due to the advent of the big ships with limited ports they can visit.

It leaves big opportunities for the likes of Saga and Fred Oldsen to corner the market for cruises to smaller ports.
Last edited by allatc on 12 Mar 2018, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Being a mere peasant grade I'll have to wait and see what the left overs have to offer :D

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We are considering Aurora R001 not my fav ship but looks like the best itinerary at that time of year. Arcadia’s worldie is lacking in content.

Sue

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

david63 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 13:44
thank you!

I looked to see if could check the boxes were unticked (or whatever), but that option seems to have been removed from the site!
Meg
x

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

I quite like the late November and early spring cruises to the fjords, though I think monkeys may disagree :shock:

I also quite like the opposite end of the spectrum - Oceana, Dubai to Mumbai cruises.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I took a look. I'd only be interested in the Aurora but with the exception of 4 ports the itinerary is so similar to the one we did on the Oceana, I'm afraid like you I'm underwhelmed.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

There is a huge element for us of ' Been there, Seen it, Done it ' ... so, no thanks :thumbdown:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:07
There is a huge element for us of ' Been there, Seen it, Done it ' ... so, no thanks :thumbdown:
.......or can't afford it.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

No it’s not good as I have three cruises I want to do but All at the same time. 2 of them with many new ports.

Also another one in Feb. Which would bring another raft of new ports.

Not looked at before Christmas as we are cruising in October.

I am always amazed when people say that the cruises are all the same again. When clearly they are not.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Having only just returned from 5 weeks on Ventura's Caribbean and USA cruise we are not ready for looking at winter 2019/20 just yet, and we already have another 4 week Caribbean cruise booked for next Jan anyway.
However, slightly digressing, one thing that is disturbing about P&O is the lower number of ports per cruise they now offer.
We have been looking at a summer holiday family cruise in the Med for 2019 and all P&O 14 night Southampton cruises only have 6 ports, RCI have just released their 2019 Southampton sailings and all their Med sailings have 8 ports, in addition the RCI launch offers, available to anyone, are considerably cheaper than the prices I received back in September when P&O launched their summer 2019 schedules, despite the 5% past passenger discount.
Whilst not to everyone's taste Independence of the seas, especially following it's scheduled spring 2018 re-fit, offers families far more than any of the current P&O fleet. So unless the new ship due in 2020 has some of RCI's Wow factor, and more competitive pricing, then I fear that P&O will begin to see less of my pension pounds during the summer months, regardless of my recent elevation to the Reindeer nation in the Peninsular club.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Very underwhelmed by Cunard - and P&O doesn’t appeal anyway. We are thinking about trying Viking.
Gill

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 23:38
Having only just returned from 5 weeks on Ventura's Caribbean and USA cruise we are not ready for looking at winter 2019/20 just yet, and we already have another 4 week Caribbean cruise booked for next Jan anyway.
However, slightly digressing, one thing that is disturbing about P&O is the lower number of ports per cruise they now offer.
We have been looking at a summer holiday family cruise in the Med for 2019 and all P&O 14 night Southampton cruises only have 6 ports, RCI have just released their 2019 Southampton sailings and all their Med sailings have 8 ports, in addition the RCI launch offers, available to anyone, are considerably cheaper than the prices I received back in September when P&O launched their summer 2019 schedules, despite the 5% past passenger discount.
Whilst not to everyone's taste Independence of the seas, especially following it's scheduled spring 2018 re-fit, offers families far more than any of the current P&O fleet. So unless the new ship due in 2020 has some of RCI's Wow factor, and more competitive pricing, then I fear that P&O will begin to see less of my pension pounds during the summer months, regardless of my recent elevation to the Reindeer nation in the Peninsular club.
6 ports is more than enough.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

daib GC wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 11:06
6 ports is more than enough.
Obviously it is for your good self, fairy snuff but we prefer to pay to see Ports rather than dolphins :wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Yes, fewer ports.

It has been a deliberate P&O policy to visit fewer ports and spend less time in those that they do visit. This is so that they can sail more slowly between the stops and so save fuel. I had this confirmed at an AGM a couple of years ago.

Not for us, we want to visit places.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Quizzical Bob wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 12:24

It has been a deliberate P&O policy to visit fewer ports and spend less time in those that they do visit. This is so that they can sail more slowly between the stops and so save fuel. I had this confirmed at an AGM a couple of years ago.

I am a bit surprised that Dai has not been on your case QB to query your libelous assertion that P&O are cheapskates?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

towny44 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 15:16
Quizzical Bob wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 12:24

I am a bit surprised that Dai has not been on your case QB to query your libelous assertion that P&O are cheapskates?
Libelous? Straight from the horse's mouth. One of the board members, that is.

The strategy these days is to show the lowest headline price and then make up the profits from all the extras. As a shareholder (like many on here) I have mixed feelings over these stratagems.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

If the captain got his foot down on the gas more ports could be visited. Sometimes it almost feels like you could push the ship faster. But of course it's all about keeping running costs and port fees down. But how far do you take it before your die hard Customer says enough is enough and jump ship.
You can't please everyone, some like sea days and some like the ports. Me, give me ports any day.
Last edited by Stephen on 14 Mar 2018, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “P&O”