No More Service Charge

Topics relating to P&O

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: No More Service Charge

Post by Whynd1 »

The reception manager at our last loyalty lunch, mentioned we that the crew were moving towards shorter term contracts of 4 or 5 months.
It must have been a very time consuming job for the reception staff to enter all these forms onto the computer to remove the tips.
Also isn't it better for the stewards when they give you the questionnaire at the end of the cruise just to leave it on the bed and not to have to ask to mark excellent or I won't get my money.

Lindsey

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I suspect that most of those arguing against this on Facecloth actually mean "Damn, that means I'll have to pay now".

BTW David, I think it's May 2019 it comes in. The first Azura cruise is the one we're on.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Whynd1 wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 09:08
The reception manager at our last loyalty lunch, mentioned we that the crew were moving towards shorter term contracts of 4 or 5 months.
It must have been a very time consuming job for the reception staff to enter all these forms onto the computer to remove the tips.
Also isn't it better for the stewards when they give you the questionnaire at the end of the cruise just to leave it on the bed and not to have to ask to mark excellent or I won't get my money.

Lindsey
If P&O are retaining some sort of service reward element in their new pay structure then we may still be asked to mark them excellent.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I see this is a win, win , may be win for all.....P&O won't have the worry about what was an unworkable tipping structure. They will increase prices but not excessively as it is a very competitive cruise market, the increases will more than likely be seen through increese in drinks, excursions etc.

It may be a win for crew as they will know what their basic salaries are going to be, hopefully fair one's. They will probably end up with better cash in hand tips, but like David say's tips won't be anywhere near the £7pppd....just as a guide....l would be looking at paying no more than £60 per couple for a two week cruise.

As for passenger's no more guilt trips for those who used auto tips ( my wife's choice not mine) but felt guilty for not leaving a cash in hand tip as well. For those who don't normally tip this move may just give them the incentive to do so.

It's been a long time coming but l think it will be the catalyst for more cruise lines to fall into line.
Last edited by Onelife on 21 Aug 2018, 11:06, edited 2 times in total.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 09:48
I suspect that most of those arguing against this on Facecloth actually mean "Damn, that means I'll have to pay now".

BTW David, I think it's May 2019 it comes in. The first Azura cruise is the one we're on.
I do agree with your comment, I am loving them squirming. There are other hints around that P&O are going further with staff welfare and improving wages and conditions. No details and I expect we will never know.

I would not be surprised if P&O do not make a big thing about “tips not required” in their advertising in the near future.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 11:00
I see this is a win, win , may be win for all.....P&O won't have the worry about what was an unworkable tipping structure. They will increase prices but not excessively as it is a very competitive cruise market, the increases will more than likely be seen through increese in drinks, excursions etc.

It may be a win for crew as they will know what their basic salaries are going to be, hopefully fair one's. They will probably end up with better cash in hand tips, but like David say's tips won't be anywhere near the £7pppd....just as a guide....l would be looking at paying no more than £60 per couple for a two week cruise.

As for passenger's no more guilt trips for those who used auto tips ( my wife's choice not mine) but felt guilty for not leaving a cash in hand tip as well. For those who don't normally tip this move may just give them the incentive to do so.

It's been a long time coming but l think it will be the catalyst for more cruise lines to fall into line.

My thoughts too Keith. They still have to stay competitive as there is plenty of competition. No such thing as loyalty these days.

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

:wave: . . . . many years since

I spent a very unhappy nine months an ten days ten hours representing my Newspaper composing the daily at sea daily Echo

It was sadly apparent that the majority of service crew were entirely relaxant on the generosity of passengers

In my very humble opinion . . . sweep all the nonsensical archaic "gratuities" overboard and let the cruise lines charge an all in upfront charge

Lubboo all :wave: :wave: :wave:

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

gfwgfw wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 19:52
:wave: . . . . many years since

I spent a very unhappy nine months an ten days ten hours representing my Newspaper composing the daily at sea daily Echo

It was sadly apparent that the majority of service crew were entirely relaxant on the generosity of passengers

In my very humble opinion . . . sweep all the nonsensical archaic "gratuities" overboard and let the cruise lines charge an all in upfront charge

Lubboo all :wave: :wave: :wave:

Graham
And so say all? of us Graham :thumbup:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I never understood the issue about tips. To me it was just part of the cost of the holiday, exactly the same as transfer flights, pre-hotel, kennels for the dogs, car parking, drinks bill, clothes bill, sun tan lotion etc. etc. ... I just included the required amount in my budgeting, no issues, no fuss. I thought it was all mountains out of molehills.

I am glad to hear of this change - naturally it will now be built into the price (which I notice that our Med cruise next year has already gone up in price, but I am sure they will put that down to fluid pricing). If only they had have pulled it back a couple of months it could have saved me even more. :)

I will probably still tip a few shekels to those that give me extraordinary service, however, one warning to P&O, if I even get a whiff of the cruise director coming up on stage and telling us what a great time we are having and how wonderful the staff are and that we should reward them then I will consider that to be against the policy of 'neither required nor expected ' and will personally put on my oldest rags and sit alongside your tat stalls in the atrium with a hat and hand written begging letter in front of me - if it is good enough for you it will be good enough for me :)
Last edited by Kendhni on 29 Aug 2018, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Kendhni wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 07:09
I never understood the issue about tips. To me it was just part of the cost of the holiday, exactly the same as transfer flights, pre-hotel, kennels for the dogs, car parking, drinks bill, clothes bill, sun tan lotion etc. etc. ... I just included the required amount in my budgeting, no issues, no fuss. I thought it was all mountains out of molehills.

I am glad to hear of this change - naturally it will now be built into the price (which I notice that our Med cruise next year has already gone up in price, but I am sure they will put that down to fluid pricing). If only they had have pulled it back a couple of months it could have saved me even more. :)

I will probably still tip a few shekels to those that give me extraordinary service, however, one warning to P&O, if I even get a whiff of the cruise director coming up on stage and telling us what a great time we are having and how wonderful the staff are and that we should reward them then I will consider that to be against the policy of 'neither required nor expected ' and will personally put on my oldest rags and sit alongside your tat stalls in the atrium with a hat and hand written begging letter in front of me - if it is good enough for you it will be good enough for me :)

The norm for me :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kendhni wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 07:09
Up to a point Ken you are right when it was tips, but it changed to become a "service charge" and then became shrouded in mystery, and a lack of transparency, as to what was actually happening with it - and there are plenty of conspiracy theories around about that. Personally I have never had an issue with paying it and, like you, have considered it as part of the cost of the cruise.

The issue of late is the rate at which it has been rising - far in excess of inflation and the feeling, true or false, that those who are paying the service charge are subsidising those who remove it.

On my next cruise, and for the first time, I will be removing the service charge but hasten to add that I will be handing over the same, or probably more, in cash to those who I believe have earned it.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Hi David, on our recent trip on Britannia I partially did that. I removed part of the service charge and handed over the bit removed (plus more) to those that I thought deserved it. I intend to do the same on Oceana next March.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I removed the service charge and gave the equivalent to my wife...she had no trouble spending it :thumbdown...Naah! Not really....agree with David.....auto tipping was an unworkable system because of tight gits like Stephen :moresarcasm: :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 09:39
I removed the service charge and gave the equivalent to my wife...she had no trouble spending it :thumbdown...Naah! Not really....agree with David.....auto tipping was an unworkable system because of tight gits like Stephen :moresarcasm: :lol:
Sh*t happens, get over it.

Bu99er, just taken the cat into the cattery and forgot to tip the owners :sarcasm:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I'm just disappointed that there will be no more tipping threads.

Let's start a bring back auto tipping campaign :yawn:

I guess that just leaves smoking and dress code ! :lol:
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

... and children in bars at night!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

........and Northerners. Whoops.... ;) :D

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Stephen !!!!!! :shh:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Stephen wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 11:43
That's not nice :evil:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Happydays wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 14:14
Good job us northern folk are thick skinned :thumbup: unlike the wuzzy lot :thumbdown: that live south of Watford :lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I'm not bothered about the North South devide, what's more important is how come David can have more emoji's than anyone else?

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

because he's the leader of the pack Ha ha ha!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 14:43
Good job us northern folk are thick skinned :thumbup: unlike the wuzzy lot :thumbdown: that live south of Watford :lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:
...or just thick :D .............is that mod police I can hear with a banning order.
Last edited by Stephen on 29 Aug 2018, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

:angel:

Stephen
Commodore