Fish Course

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Fish Course

Post by Ranchi »

Occasionally, if I don't fancy any of the starters I ask for a small portion of the fish. This never caused any problems when there was a separate fish course on the menu. Later the fish course disappeared and was incorporated in with the main courses. A note stated that fish could be taken as a fish course or as a main course. Again, no problem. On Oriana Mar/April last year, I was told that fish was a main & couldn't be ordered as a fish course.
Question is....has the fish course died on P&O?

Steve

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fish Course

Post by david63 »

Probably more likely sunk :roll:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

There was fish as a main every evening on our Adonia cruise, ending May 9th, and frequently other fish as a starter. My appreciation was, and still is, that you can order a couple of fish starters else a fish main without the veges if this is your choice. You can also still order a starter plus a fish course AND a meat course from the mains ... as well as a couple of puddings if you can eat it all.

Oink, Oink :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

That's good news MoB. I do occasionally like a fish course instead of a starter. We were not impressed with dining on Oriana last Mar/April (Soton/Caribbean/Soton) but wondered if that was because we had booked last minute ( the first time) or because we were 2nd sitting ( usually book 1st sitting). It's the only P&O cruise we've ever had problems with regarding food. We went on Aurora in Sept & found dining to be good.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

That would be a shame ... normally they are happy to serve anything that is on the menu.

I remember on our first cruise one of our table mates had the lobster for starters, the lobster for main and the lobster for dessert ... the waiter was only too happy to meet this demand. :)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Ranchi wrote:
That's good news MoB. I do occasionally like a fish course instead of a starter. We were not impressed with dining on Oriana last Mar/April (Soton/Caribbean/Soton) but wondered if that was because we had booked last minute ( the first time) or because we were 2nd sitting ( usually book 1st sitting). It's the only P&O cruise we've ever had problems with regarding food. We went on Aurora in Sept & found dining to be good.
Your waiter would neither know nor care what your booking arrangements were, we had carte blanche ( do what you like ;) ) with our Menus on Adonia and as you may have seen from my cruise report we were also on a cheapo.

Just order it and wait to be defied, it isn't going to happen and in any event the food costs a pittance compared to lost good will, custom and revenue if they upset anybody.

:thumbup:

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Ranchi wrote:
Occasionally, if I don't fancy any of the starters I ask for a small portion of the fish. This never caused any problems when there was a separate fish course on the menu. Later the fish course disappeared and was incorporated in with the main courses. A note stated that fish could be taken as a fish course or as a main course. Again, no problem. On Oriana Mar/April last year, I was told that fish was a main & couldn't be ordered as a fish course.
Question is....has the fish course died on P&O?

Steve

I take this option quite of takin if I do not fancy the soup. I certainly had it on Oceana September/October last year.

I will be making the same request on Arcadia in two month's time.

Gan Canny

Dai

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I think fish should only be served when dining alone or with a partner that doesn't mind the smell of the bleeding things...the smell puts me right off my roast beef.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Onelife wrote:
I think fish should only be served when dining alone or with a partner that doesn't mind the smell of the bleeding things...the smell puts me right off my roast beef.
especially kippers in the breakfast dining room

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Oh for gawd sake Ken I was just having some light supper :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote:

Agree

The only fish I like is a bit tasty and will batter you with his over coat if you step out of line. He's called the Cod Father and has some old mates called crinkly chips as back up. Nuf said :evil: :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I like a nice bit of fish but even when there was a separate fish course could rarely manage it as well as starter, soup, main, dessert, cheese and bisuits, coffee, chocolates and brandy. :sarcasm:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I like a nice bit of fish but even when there was a separate fish course could rarely manage it as well as starter, soup, main, dessert, cheese and bisuits, coffee, chocolates and brandy. :sarcasm:
Then skip the sorbet .... simples :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Now why didn't I think of that?

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

A guy on our last cruise always ordered a fish main as a distinct fish course, but the kitchen couldn't handle the request as such, and so he always ended up with a full main portion, complete with veg and potatoes - which he then always left. The waiters said it was because the meals were already plated-up.

Return to “P&O”