P&O new check in procedures

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

P&O new check in procedures

Post by Gill W »

I'm not really a big Facebook user, but from time to time I check the P&O pages to see if there's anything going on

At the moment there's a big discussion about the new check in procedures, as they now being rolled out to all ships.

Most people remain unhappy about this

This is the P&O response

P&O Cruises Thank you all for your comments on this, we have made the changes to embarkation process so that our guests can get to their cabin as quickly as possible. By staggering embarkation times we avoid queues and congestion in the terminal, and cut down on the waiting times. If you arrive at the terminal early, you will be able to check in as soon as we are able to accommodate you, although priority will be given to those who arrive at their designated time. For our Suite and Caribbean+ members of the Peninsular Club once on board the existing embarkation waiting lounge will change to a welcome reception open from 1.30pm to 3.30pm, serving a selection of complimentary alcoholic and soft drinks, along with hot and cold canapés.

Then later on, as people still aren't happy, Christopher Edington himself replies

Hi Everyone, it's Christopher Edgington, I wanted to come back to you all on this in person.

I can see from reading through all of your comments and concerns that we have to do a better job in telling you what we are doing and more importantly why. It is a fact that over the years the way we check in and embark our guests has changed several times, some of it planned and some has happened organically. Our ships have got bigger and the pressure to get you on board and start your holiday with us is greater than ever before.

There are occasions where we have had over half the ship arrive within the first hour of check in, leading to delays. The feedback we have been working to is "get me on board quickly and seamlessly and let me enjoy my holiday". We have been putting check-in times on our tickets for some time and the closer you arrive to that time the better and quicker your embarkation experience will be. Whilst these times are not being enforced, we are making sure that those with earlier check-in times are not made to wait longer as a result of those with later check-in times turning up very early. These are allocated according to the deck you are booked on.

I know from speaking with many of you that you like to arrive early or travel arrangements mean you have to arrive early and you can continue to do so. In the past it has not been unusual for some people to arrive up to seven hours earlier than invited, and whilst we will continue to check-in and embark these guests early, it would be unfair for those who arrive at the time we ask, to be put to the back of the queue. I hope you will agree. We have been implementing pieces of this process over the last few months on Britannia and whilst it has taken some time to get right I know you will see the positive benefits when you travel with us. We go live from Saturday on all our ships, so if you are travelling soon you will experience it first- hand.

I also have to say that this is part of a larger range of changes we are implementing to improve the experience at our home port. Some of these improvements include: increasing the number of guests we can handle at any time at security screening so it takes less time to get onboard,
speedier baggage delivery,
having all cabins ready earlier than ever before and
serving lunch throughout the afternoon until embarkation is complete.
These are just some of the improvements and we will continue to review the ways to improve the experience for our guests in the future.

A few of you have asked what these changes mean for your Peninsular Club benefits, I'm pleased to confirm that those guests who previously received 'Priority' Check-in, will continue to do so, however we've changed the concept slightly from a number of dedicated desks to a queue jump system which will ensure the wait to check-in is even shorter. Once you have checked in you will able to proceed straight to security and then embarkation, so there is no longer a need for the priority embarkation benefit. We recognise the existing embarkation lounge for our suite and Caribbean+ members closes at 2pm, so as a result of the improvements I am pleased to confirm this benefit will change to a welcome reception open from 1.30pm to 3.30pm, serving a selection of complimentary alcoholic and soft drinks, along with hot & cold canapés.

We are not doing this to put barriers up or to stop you getting on board, but to ensure that all guests board the ship comfortably without undue wait. I want to get you on board and into the bars and restaurants as soon as I can and not sat in the terminal!

Please do continue to give us feedback, we welcome any suggestion that improves your experience and we will continue to try really hard to make sure you have amazing holidays with P&O Cruises.

Thank you very much

I noted that the Caribbeans no longer get an 'embarkation lounge' onboard, but a welcome reception with canapes onboard between 1.30pm and 3.30pm. To be quite honest, I don't think I can be bothered with canapés. In future, I think I'll be putting my cases in my cabin (which will be ready when I board) and then go to the buffet for my lunch, (or afternoon tea, if the time's getting on). It's also not been made clear if Caribbeans are meant to adhere to their times on their tickets, or whether they can turn up any time they want to 'jump the queue'.

I think this system will only work if EVERYONE adheres to their stated check in time, but of course that's not going to happen

Historically, I've turned up between noon and 1pm, and already there are huge amounts of passengers on board before me.

In future, I'm going to do my best to turn up at my stated time, BUT, if I've got 3.30pm, I'm going to have to be earlier than that, just for my peace of mind. Also, in past years I've been unpacked and settled by 3.30pm, so it seems a bit of a backward step to be still waiting to board at 3.30pm

What people seem to want is to choose a boarding time, with preference given to early bookers - will P&O listen?

Time will tell
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: P&O new check in procedures

Post by towny44 »

I have not read the facebook thread but have been reading the cruisecritic one so its interesting to read Christopher Edgington's post.
Personally I don't feel the need to go to my cabin as soon as I board, we now check all our luggage except for valuables, documents, breakables and essentials, all of which fit comfortably in my wife's wheelchair seat back carrier, why some people feel the need to bring so many carry ons is beyond me. But I do want to get through check in and board quickly, which we regularly do with Celebrity at City Terminal, mainly I think because security is the first thing you do, and after this everything seems to flow smoothly. So my suggestion to CE would be to follow suit and do security first, because that's normally wher the bottleneck is.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

It will never work, there is too much variation in arrival time to be able to adhere to a fixed time slot. Speeding up the security checks is a good idea buit I wonder if it will ever happen? They seem to adjust the number of x-ray machines that are open toi suit the size of the ship. It's a classic case of trying to make the customers adapt in order to hide their shortcomings. The loss of the priority lounge is a big negative. Somehow canapés don't make up for a lunch. The priority embarkation business is not much good unless you also get priority at the x-ray checks. We have experienced the 'queue-jump' system and didn't find it much of an improvement. The old dedicated desk was much better.

Perhaps Mr. Edgington needs to speak to more of his loyal customers before coming up with wild ideas.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Seems to me that P&O are simply trying to make embarkation as smooth as possible for ALL passengers, Christopher Edgington at least recognises the need to give EVERYBODY a good experience rather than just the ' special ones ' ... even Jose Mourinho has given up on those. I cannot believe that anybody can be that vain or selfish that they just have to have some sort of ' privileged person's ' lunch regardless of the feelings of other passengers ... surely.

I would take it one stage further by removing ALL benefits from ALL passengers until after the ship has set sail, simples.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Personally, I think it is a fair attempt to resolve an enduring problem. As QBob rightly says, however, it won't work, purely because many people will continue to pitch up at a time to suit themselves regardless of the check-in time they are allocated.

As a relatively new Goldie, I have never found the lunch that important or inspiring either so I have no problem with the canapes. Anything is better than braving the bunfight in the buffet and, for us, it is a bonus to change the opening hours as the lunch was usually closed or just closing by the time we arrived.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
Seems to me that P&O are simply trying to make embarkation as smooth as possible for ALL passengers, Christopher Edgington at least recognises the need to give EVERYBODY a good experience rather than just the ' special ones ' ... even Jose Mourinho has given up on those. I cannot believe that anybody can be that vain or selfish that they just have to have some sort of ' privileged person's ' lunch regardless of the feelings of other passengers ... surely.

I would take it one stage further by removing ALL benefits from ALL passengers until after the ship has set sail, simples.

If you want repeat business then you have to reward the loyal customers, it's as simple as that. At the moment these 'rewards' are pretty paltry but they have to apply at all stages of the cruise booking or they are meaningless..

Of course you need to make sure that everybody has a pleasant experience but that is done by streamlining your own procedures, not by making people wait a few hours whether that be in the departure lounge, West Quay shopping centre or some Little Chef on some motorway somewhere up country. One of the main advantages of cruising from the UK is that you're not sitting around in some departure lounge waiting to get on a plane.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

If you want repeat business then you have to reward the loyal customers, it's as simple as that. At the moment these 'rewards' are pretty paltry but they have to apply at all stages of the cruise booking or they are meaningless..

Of course you need to make sure that everybody has a pleasant experience but that is done by streamlining your own procedures, not by making people wait a few hours whether that be in the departure lounge, West Quay shopping centre or some Little Chef on some motorway somewhere up country. One of the main advantages of cruising from the UK is that you're not sitting around in some departure lounge waiting to get on a plane.
Blimey, I agree with Qbob - there's a first !!

Moby - your idea sounds like it came from the Jeremy Corbyn manual of equality !!

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I sympathise with what they are trying to achieve. I will continue to arrive early for my own peace of mind and will continue to expect to be asked to sit in the terminal and wait until my allotted time. Maybe they should actually have segregated seating in the terminal, by check-in times, and everyone who turns up early gets automatically directly there to wait their turn.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
... If you want repeat business then you have to reward the loyal customers, it's as simple as that. At the moment these 'rewards' are pretty paltry but they have to apply at all stages of the cruise booking or they are meaningless..

Of course you need to make sure that everybody has a pleasant experience but that is done by streamlining your own procedures, not by making people wait a few hours ....
I haven't suggested that ALL the benefits should be removed, nope, just the one meaningless lunch and only then for a good reason.

Repeat business, imo, is achieved by offering a cruise with a suitable itinerary albeit with a cruising experience that enhances it. Future business however is actually about ' locking in ' new cruisers rather than aiming to pacify the old stagers and especially those who demand all the benefits but spend virtually nothing once on board.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

qbman1 wrote:
Moby - your idea sounds like it came from the Jeremy Corbyn manual of equality !!
Not at all ... why would I wish to convert everybody to Communism for just a couple of hours before a ship sails :lol:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
... If you want repeat business then you have to reward the loyal customers, it's as simple as that. At the moment these 'rewards' are pretty paltry but they have to apply at all stages of the cruise booking or they are meaningless..

Of course you need to make sure that everybody has a pleasant experience but that is done by streamlining your own procedures, not by making people wait a few hours ....
I haven't suggested that ALL the benefits should be removed, nope, just the one meaningless lunch and only then for a good reason.

Repeat business, imo, is achieved by offering a cruise with a suitable itinerary albeit with a cruising experience that enhances it. Future business however is actually about ' locking in ' new cruisers rather than aiming to pacify the old stagers and especially those who demand all the benefits but spend virtually nothing once on board.
There you go - politician's answer again ! You did suggest removing ALL benefits from ALL passengers, not just the dodgy lunch. Having been a loyal P&O regular, I do feel we have earned the priority boarding and embarkation lounge, which is a definite benefit to us. As I said, not at all worried about the food but the other embarkation benefits do make a difference

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Not at all ... why would I wish to convert everybody to Communism for just a couple of hours before a ship sails :lol:
Perhaps I misunderstood, but it sounds a very left-wing idea to me !! :o

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:

In my experience there is no correlation between the two.

Chasing new customers at the expense of the regulars is a recipe for failure. It's the equivalent of a pub giving the table in the corner to someone who walks in off the street when that table is the regular spot for the old codgers who come in every day to play dominos and only sup their halves of bitter. Ideally you would want all the new clients to become old stagers. Brand loyalty is vitally important and ignored at peril.

It's an important axiom of business: regular customers pay the rent.

Edit: just an afterthought. What exactly is the 'good reason' for scrapping the lunch?

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Ok, fireproof undies on and flack jacket tightened up ....... and apologies before I start, BUT the cruise line is there for the convenience and enjoyment (and safety) of the passengers. People don't pay good money for a cruise holiday to be treated unpleasantly and patronised.

Whoever this clot is who thinks he is in charge of it all - he can have his own way, and everyone will turn up like good obedient little twits (well that's what he seems to think of passengers) - providing he can either arrange free hotel for long distance passengers for the night before, guarantee no hold ups with surface travel to port (so he'd better buy all passengers new cars - not VW), and ensure that everyone else keeps off the roads likely to be used by passengers on their way to the port.

We all pay our money, we all look forward to our holiday, and none of us can be blamed for our residential location - we all live wherever we live, and that's that. Travel can be a worry and stressful for some people, and we all do our very best (insurance companies being the artful dodgers that they are) to ensure that we get to the checkin terminal with plenty of time to spare. I think that is the correct thing to do, planning to arrive before any time allotted by some office bound twit (or his computer) gives everyone an opportunity to undertake their surface travel to the port SAFELY, and it allows for any hold ups caused by mechanical failure, traffic problems - or map problems.

So, would this mega omnipotent prat like to order the lives (on check in day) of all the passengers on a minute by minute basis, and at the same time control the lives and movements of absolutely anyone who is likely to being in the same area of any given passenger whilst they are travelling to the port?

As he quite obviously can't do this, why doesn't he simply pay more check in people to be at work, more bag handlers etc., and get through the inevitable rush with a smile and proper respect shown to all the passengers? Obviously handing out drinks and canapes is less costly than paying for more handling staff.

Maybe this bloke should come down out of his ivory tower and try just being an ordinary passenger before he starts meddling.

Rant over. Sorry. Power to the passengers.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Asbestos pants not necessary - I, for one, agree with you !

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

Your comments have saved me the time writing. Well said :clap:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

OK, I'll be honest. We always get to the port early, and we are by no means alone. Partly to miss the worst of the traffic, but mainly, like everyone else to get on board asap. :shock:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Yep, we all do it, whether we admit to it or not.

At least I have an e-mail from P&O telling me I can....!

"You will check in at our priority check in desk at the terminal, the times you are given are just a guide line. Embakation starts at 12pm you will be able to check in then."

Just a shame they can't spell "embarkation" !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Perhaps they're going to stuff you QB :lol:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

I'm with you on this, Boris+

When a customer is paying thousands of pounds it is up to the service provider to adapt to the needs of the customers. I have found it to be a common malaise throughout British industry, both manufacturing and service, that people like to have a big pile of work by their side and they want to get through it at a rate that suits them and not the ones who are paying for it. Restaurants will make you wait when there are plenty of empty tables, health centres see it as a matter of pride that they have a big queue waiting outside, factories see a long waiting time as a sign of success. The list is endless.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

'Embakation'? Am I to take it from this that The Great British Bake-Off is coming to a ship near you soon?

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

there's no mention in His Nibs' diatribe about coach passengers all having the same check in time....
Obviously...

no one knows who's on a coach, or train or coming the day before... and unless they can know that the whole thing's a nonsense!
Meg
x

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Would be nice if P&O were to actually tell their passengers what is happening and not expect them all to be Facecloth users

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Manoverboard wrote:

:clap: Well said MOB :clap:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

david63 wrote:
Would be nice if P&O were to actually tell their passengers what is happening and not expect them all to be Facecloth users

See that pig flying over?
Meg
x

Return to “P&O”