Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Re: P&O new check in procedures

Post by Raybosailor »

oldbluefox wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
True oldblue

Give me the ditherers over the aggressive and ill-mannered any day.
I'ts like drivers on the road Foxy the ditherers cause more accidents than the aggressive but ditherers usually have low impact bumps whereas the aggressive ones are often fatal.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Not sure you can apply the same analogy between drivers on the road and ditherers in the buffet.
However as an aside I spent a lot of my time on the German autobahns where the driving was fast and at times aggressive. The fact is I felt much safer over there than on our own motorways where too many drivers tend to be much more unpredictable despite our having three lanes compared to the two lanes in the Fatherland (albeit nowadays we only seem to use two lanes).

Better get back to check in procedures. You never know when there's a mod about!!!

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Kendhni wrote:
david63 wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
Why can't P&O do what British Airways do (If they still do). They had a check in desk for 1st class, another for club class and the rest for economy. If the 1st class desk was free they would call people from economy to check in. P&O could still have a priority embarkation desk and if it was free other passengers could use it.
Stop trying to use common sense - it is not a term P&O are familiar with :roll:
I took it that is what Christopher Edgington meant when he said "we've changed the concept slightly from a number of dedicated desks to a queue jump system which will ensure the wait to check-in is even shorter."
That can only be 'even shorter' if the priority desks regularly had spare capacity that could then be used for the 'plebs'. In our experience if there is a vacant desk then it is used for those in the main queue although the on the cruises we tend to take there are more priority passengers than ordinary mortals.
Maybe it is something like the 'Miracle of the air' that occurs on so many flights. They ask those who need assistance to come forward for boarding and there is a long queue of walking sticks, wheel chairs, zimmer frames and ingrown toe nails ... then when the plane lands they ask those who need assistance to remain seated, and many of the same people are seen hoisting their luggage out of overheads and pushing their way off the plane with the ''best-of-them' before spending the next two weeks jogging, partying and disco dancing ... sadly after two weeks the miracle seems to end because when it comes to boarding the plane home the walking sticks, wheel chairs and zimmer frames all make an appearance again. :) :)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Kendhni wrote:
Maybe it is something like the 'Miracle of the air' that occurs on so many flights. They ask those who need assistance to come forward for boarding and there is a long queue of walking sticks, wheel chairs, zimmer frames and ingrown toe nails ... then when the plane lands they ask those who need assistance to remain seated, and many of the same people are seen hoisting their luggage out of overheads and pushing their way off the plane with the ''best-of-them' before spending the next two weeks jogging, partying and disco dancing ... sadly after two weeks the miracle seems to end because when it comes to boarding the plane home the walking sticks, wheel chairs and zimmer frames all make an appearance again. :) :)
Lazarus is alive and kicking.
Maybe P&O have the concept wrong by doing away with priority desks. Instead of those waiting in the queue feeling aggrieved because suites and 'Goldies' come along and push in, they would feel more positive if they were guided to an empty priority boarding desk thereby turning a negative into a positive out of what is essentially the same difference. I wonder what the psychological effect of adding in a few priority desks would be which would be open to the general masses where no priority passengers were present.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
Kendhni wrote:
Lazarus is alive and kicking.
Maybe P&O have the concept wrong by doing away with priority desks. Instead of those waiting in the queue feeling aggrieved because suites and 'Goldies' come along and push in, they would feel more positive if they were guided to an empty priority boarding desk thereby turning a negative into a positive out of what is essentially the same difference. I wonder what the psychological effect of adding in a few priority desks would be which would be open to the general masses where no priority passengers were present.
God point Foxy. Have you ever thought of having a job as head of customer relations at P&O?

One further point... Most airlines these days let you check-in online before you even leave your home. As a minimum it should be possible to register your credit card before you even get near a desk.

Just a thought.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Peter D wrote:
But thing is.

You have waited an hour in the Terminal, you have been called forward and finally got to the front of the queue, then someone who has just walked in takes your check in desk. Well....
Exactly, just how is this going to work?
Perhaps we've been lucky we've always had a check in time of 12pm and the dedicated desk has always been empty. Apart from our very first cruise when the computers had gone down in the Mayflower terminal and the Aurora had just come back from a World cruise. It was a nightmare and I thought if this is what cruising is like then it's not for me. I changed my mind after the cruise of course. :D

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I still think that some are making a mountain out of a molehill

We'll just arrive when we do, and if we have to wait to embark, we'll wait.

Our allocated time is 2.00 pm but we'll probably get to Southampton nearer to 1.00, traffic allowing.

An hour wait in the terminal for a lovely cruise won't kill us.

One thing is for sure, P&O are not going to turn you away after you've arrived and I can think of worse places to wait than the cruise terminal.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Me neither Barney.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

barney wrote:
......and I can think of worse places to wait than the cruise terminal.
in a traffic jam with 45 mins to sailaway, and panicking!
Meg
x

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

barney wrote:

Exactly Barney just as most of us will be willing to do, I can't understand what all the fuss is about either :roll:
Jo

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
barney wrote:

Exactly Barney just as most of us will be willing to do, I can't understand what all the fuss is about either :roll:
There are potentially two issues for the "moaners":

The first is that if passengers have to wait to board then there may be problems with being able to accommodate them somewhere (this could vary depending on which terminal is used)

The second is that if passengers are allowed to board straight after check-in then some cabins may not be available until later than they are now (if cabin preparation is done by deck)

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

It's not waiting for embarkation that bothers me,it's having to push several old ladies/men on walking sticks to one side so that I can get to the check in desk. ;)

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I can't understand how they say that cabin preparation is done "by deck"? Surely, the cabin stewards are responsible for the preparation and presentation of their "own" cabins and they are not all going to be rushing upstairs to help their colleagues get theirs ready for a certain deadline. What's the issue?

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

emjay45 wrote:
It's not waiting for embarkation that bothers me,it's having to push several old ladies/men on walking sticks to one side so that I can get to the check in desk. ;)
Mind you make way for us Goldies !! ;)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

david63 wrote:
Dancing Queen wrote:
barney wrote:

There are potentially two issues for the "moaners":

The first is that if passengers have to wait to board then there may be problems with being able to accommodate them somewhere (this could vary depending on which terminal is used)

The second is that if passengers are allowed to board straight after check-in then some cabins may not be available until later than they are now (if cabin preparation is done by deck)
Well accommodating people is what I said several posts ago which is why there needs to be some sort of system in place, whether or not this is the right one remains seen, it will be interesting to see how Cunard compare as they were trialling this last December and I have to say it did appear to be utter chaos, we had priority boarding so it wasn't a problem for us but I'm always more than happy to just go with the flow as long as I'm on the ship before it sails .. no problem :thumbup:
Jo

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Good point Foxy. Have you ever thought of having a job as head of customer relations at P&O?
Thanks Bob but it's not exactly rocket science is it? Why complicate a simple system?
As for cabins being ready on embarkation why the rush? I presume there have been one or two comments on feedback forms which have prompted P&O to look at this but it sounds to me a case of ameliorating a few and upsetting the many with a system which I believe, will cause more problems than it solves.
If you arrive early and have to wait then so be it. Just as long as I am on the ship when it leaves I am not really bothered.

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I think P&O must have done a customer focus group asking 'would you like your cabin ready when you board'

People probably decided they wanted this..... but assumed they could still board at the same time as before.

What P&O should have asked was 'would you like your cabin ready when you board, but get onboard later'. To which there would have been a resounding 'NO'
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
Thanks Bob but it's not exactly rocket science is it? Why complicate a simple system?
As for cabins being ready on embarkation why the rush? I presume there have been one or two comments on feedback forms which have prompted P&O to look at this but it sounds to me a case of ameliorating a few and upsetting the many with a system which I believe, will cause more problems than it solves.
If you arrive early and have to wait then so be it. Just as long as I am on the ship when it leaves I am not really bothered.
I would prefer to be able to use the cabin for longer when we disembark even though that would mean that it was available later on disembarkation.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I can't be bothered to slog through all the posts here while basking in the sun, but anything to make boarding easier for all, rather than just the precious few, would be welcome. I'm sick of turning up as requested to find myself at the back of the queue behind those who think they have more right to board than me. I see no problem with managing those who persist in arriving early. Just confiscate their tickets and send them home. When airlines tell us the check in will open 2 hours before the flight we manage to get there, and not three hours earlier. Why can't we manage it at a cruise terminal? Exit stage left wearing tin hat to return to pool.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

The difference Merv is, at the airport you still have allot of time and distance to kill, so for me personally the less time at the airport the better. Where as at Southampton cruise terminal you are just a few steps away from getting on with your holiday. You can't blame people for turning up early when they know they are going to be boarded before their allotted time. I guess what should be happening is for passengers to be called to the check-in desk by their time slot, and have their documents checked before they join the queue.

But after December please ;) :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I can't be bothered to slog through all the posts here while basking in the sun, but anything to make boarding easier for all, rather than just the precious few, would be welcome. I'm sick of turning up as requested to find myself at the back of the queue behind those who think they have more right to board than me. I see no problem with managing those who persist in arriving early. Just confiscate their tickets and send them home. When airlines tell us the check in will open 2 hours before the flight we manage to get there, and not three hours earlier. Why can't we manage it at a cruise terminal? Exit stage left wearing tin hat to return to pool.
As I posted earlier .... priority boarding apart from the disabled and suite bookings should be scrapped.

Your airport example, Merv, is precisely as it should be.

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
As I posted earlier .... priority boarding apart from the disabled and suite bookings should be scrapped.

Airports also have priority check-in.

Why would you abolish it? Wait until you get it and then see how you feel.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
I would prefer to be able to use the cabin for longer when we disembark even though that would mean that it was available later on disembarkation.
That is where we differ. Having been on the road for a couple of days I prefer to get into the cabin earlier so we can unpack and get ourselves organised. On disembarkation we are keen to get an early start bearing in mind we have a long journey ahead of us.
This is the problem with trying to create any system where the needs of the passengers are so very different.

Mob, dear friend, the priority check in is a perk which P&O give to those whom they perceive as loyal. Some airlines give free tickets as a reward for loyalty. Can you imagine the outcry if some passengers were found to be cruising for free? From P&O's perspective it is a good perk to award simply because it costs them absolutely nothing and may even be seen as an incentive to those who don't receive it to book more cruises with them!!! :roll: If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! :wave: As I said earlier, just put in a couple more priority desks then nobody feels they are being queue-jumped.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Quizzical Bob wrote:

But for many airlines you pay extra for priority check-in and to be fast-pathed through security and sometimes you even get to be in the first lot to board ... I often pay it because Julie struggles to stand in queues (and for the convenience) ... and yet occasionally I hear someone whining "I was here first, why are they being allowed to jump the queue" - if I can be bothered to respond to them my answer is usually "Learn the system".

Maybe P&O should follow that example ... you can arrive early and wait your time or pay £10pp to join the priority queue and get onboard and have a free sandwich at the buffet. I am sure some would be willing to pay it, maybe enough to justify increasing the number of priority check-in desks ... it is surprising how many people hand over a few quid to beat the queues at an airport.

I agree with those that say this whole thing is just mountains-out-of-molehills.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

We have qualified for this facility on a number of occasions as a consequence of our chosen cabin grade, sorry, but it was of no consequence and does nothing for us. Early availability of the cabin would however be of greater interest.

As for Priority Boarding on an aircraft, we are talking about getting on the plane a few minutes earlier but with no additional benefits. Out of interest we had Priority Boarding on a flight to Dublin, we left the departure lounge and were first on the bus .. but last off it !!! :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “P&O”