P&O new check in procedures

Topics relating to P&O

Princess
Cadet
Cadet

Re: P&O new check in procedures

Post by Princess »

Seen on another forum that the Club 'perk' of priority embarkation has been cancelled. All will have to adhere to time given.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Don't believe everything you read !

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Princess wrote:
Seen on another forum that the Club 'perk' of priority embarkation has been cancelled. All will have to adhere to time given.
Link?

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

That's simply not true Princess and a classic example of folk over getting carried away with things.

At the end of the day, it's not important in the grand scheme of life.

Folk should just thank God that they have the health and the wherewithall to be going on such lovely holidays :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Onelife wrote:
Well here's my tuppence worth....l absolutely agree with Sir Merv in that you should near as dam it stick to your allotted embarkation times....for gawd sake they are trying to make embarkation run as efficiently as possible for everyone. The majority of passengers have no excuse for disregarding their alloted embarkation times. Ok you have to allow enough time for unforseen cercomstances but what's wrong with pulling into a service station to kill an hour or two thus allowing you to coincide you arrival to that which is printed on your tickets.

But what's wrong with waiting in the terminal? The last place I want to kill an hour or two is sat in my car in a service station.
Onelife wrote:
If your not displaying the right boarding time when arriving at the dock gates then you should be told to bug*er off until it's your alloted time. P&O need to grow some balls and stop pandering to all you selfish cruisers and start enforcing boarding times...you'll soon get the message after a few laps around Southampton.
Which will only make matters worse and I doubt the residents of Southampton will be dead chuffed with those turned away clogging up the streets. Who is going to do the turning away? I doubt CPS as it's nothing to do with them, Marchwood will already have driven off to pick up more passengers so all this will do is cause pandemonium and a whole shed load of irate passengers.
I can usually rely on you, Onelife, to come up with something sensible but on this occasion I think you have been too near to the sheep dip!!! :lol:
Of course I can always put your name forward to be the one standing in the doorway of the terminal telling the passengers to b***er off and take a few laps around Southampton. I would, of course, visit you in hospital. :lol:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Onelife wrote:
Well here's my tuppence worth....l absolutely agree with Sir Merv in that you should near as dam it stick to your allotted embarkation times....for gawd sake they are trying to make embarkation run as efficiently as possible for everyone. The majority of passengers have no excuse for disregarding their alloted embarkation times. Ok you have to allow enough time for unforseen cercomstances but what's wrong with pulling into a service station to kill an hour or two thus allowing you to coincide you arrival to that which is printed on your tickets. If your not displaying the right boarding time when arriving at the dock gates then you should be told to bug*er off until it's your alloted time. P&O need to grow some balls and stop pandering to all you selfish cruisers and start enforcing boarding times...you'll soon get the message after a few laps around Southampton.

Happy cruising
That's all very well but these requests are to cover up the shortcomings of P&O and ther's no need for any of it. If other cruise lines can manage it more efficiently with the same facilities then there's something wrong with their system.

Asking people to hold back and turn up later than they can is only going to lead to more late departures and can never be a wise strategy.
Hi QB,

There may well be some truth in what you say about P&O's organisational skills but 3,647 passengers (Britannia) trying to board a cruise ship in the space of a couple of hours will undoubtedly cause problems which l suspect is the reason P&O are requesting that passengers stick to their allotted embarkation times.....seems a sensible and logical  approach to me.

Regards

Keith

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote:
Onelife wrote:
Well here's my tuppence worth....l absolutely agree with Sir Merv in that you should near as dam it stick to your allotted embarkation times....for gawd sake they are trying to make embarkation run as efficiently as possible for everyone. The majority of passengers have no excuse for disregarding their alloted embarkation times. Ok you have to allow enough time for unforseen cercomstances but what's wrong with pulling into a service station to kill an hour or two thus allowing you to coincide you arrival to that which is printed on your tickets.

But what's wrong with waiting in the terminal? The last place I want to kill an hour or two is sat in my car in a service station.
Onelife wrote:
If your not displaying the right boarding time when arriving at the dock gates then you should be told to bug*er off until it's your alloted time. P&O need to grow some balls and stop pandering to all you selfish cruisers and start enforcing boarding times...you'll soon get the message after a few laps around Southampton.
Which will only make matters worse and I doubt the residents of Southampton will be dead chuffed with those turned away clogging up the streets. Who is going to do the turning away? I doubt CPS as it's nothing to do with them, Marchwood will already have driven off to pick up more passengers so all this will do is cause pandemonium and a whole shed load of irate passengers.
I can usually rely on you, Onelife, to come up with something sensible but on this occasion I think you have been too near to the sheep dip!!! :lol:
Of course I can always put your name forward to be the one standing in the doorway of the terminal telling the passengers to b***er off and take a few laps around Southampton. I would, of course, visit you in hospital. :lol:
Hi OBF...having spent 6 hours driving down in your car I can fully understand you not wanting to spend more time than you have to sitting in your car...so you best take the opportunity to get off your bum and get doing ten laps round the service station car park like I do ;) , it'll be good for your circulation with the added bonus of you not having to spend to much time sitting on your bum in that overcrowded, potentially infectious environment of a cruise terminal... cough, splutter. :thumbup:

Although I don't have a lot of sympathy for the predicament that P&O now find themselves in I do feel they are best placed to understand the best way forward in dealing with what they perceive as a problem with embarkation planning. The fact that some of you feel you know better and are not prepared to go along with what one would hope is a fairer and more manageable embarkation process will eventually leave P&O no alternative but to enforce staggered embarkation times for large capacity cruises such as Britannia.

As always wishing you good health and a much healthier bum :lol:

Keith

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Therein lies the conundrum - ten laps around a service station car park or a couple of hours with a good read in the terminal. It's a no brainer isn't it?
Whatever P&O decide I feel sure it won't bother me since it really doesn't matter.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote:
Who gives a t*ss, as long as I'm on first. :thumbup:

And where have you been hiding Onezy, in that Welsh shed again interfering with the livestock.
11350918_10153140057897997_7065288965317265952_n.jpg

Hey Stephen I've had to leave it till now to reply cus every time I start typing I p*ss myself laughing...

btw.. no matter how much I tried I've never been able to get that one mounted :lol:

:wave:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

oldbluefox wrote:
Therein lies the conundrum - ten laps around a service station car park or a couple of hours with a good read in the terminal. It's a no brainer isn't it?
Whatever P&O decide I feel sure it won't bother me since it really doesn't matter.

Hi OBF

No brainer?

Not if you're dyslexic it's not :lol:

:wave:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Next time I'm at a service station I'll look out for all the P&Oers doing their laps of the car park,trailing their luggage behind them!!! What a star you are!!! :lol:
All the best :wave:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

oldbluefox wrote:
Next time I'm at a service station I'll look out for all the P&Oers doing their laps of the car park,trailing their luggage behind them!!! What a star you are!!! :lol:
All the best :wave:

And you'll be able to tell who's been there the longest by the wear on the wheels of their luggage. Some will be down to the axle making sparks :D

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

And the latecomers who missed their slot will be circling in the opposite direction....................... :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I hear Rownhams Roadchef are building their own embarkation lounge !!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

And the council are putting in extra benches by the road side

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Stephen wrote:
And the council are putting in extra benches by the road side
Not our council they aren't. There's no way I'm paying extra taxes for that sort of thing!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

NIMBY !!

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Maybe P&O could buy Mayflower Park and build a company-themed park for those who are in the city far before their check-in times (for various legitimate reasons)?

They could brand it as PO-Faced Land, and make it similar to banksy's "Dismaland" which has proved so poular.

There could be rides and attractions, such as "Spot the empty sunbed", and lessons in buffet queue-jumping etc.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Romig1 wrote:
Maybe P&O could buy Mayflower Park and build a company-themed park for those who are in the city far before their check-in times (for various legitimate reasons)?

They could brand it as PO-Faced Land, and make it similar to banksy's "Dismaland" which has proved so poular.

There could be rides and attractions, such as "Spot the empty sunbed", and lessons in buffet queue-jumping etc.
:lol:

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Just popped into the site to find this.
We have just got our cabin allocation along with our e-ticket which states our time of check-in is 12.30 which is roughly the time we have always turned up and it will be at the Mayflower Terminal. In all the cruises we have taken we have only ever had to wait more an hour long after check-in which is always quick in the big hall before getting onto the ship.
I will let you know how we get on when we board at the end of the month.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
It is unacceptable, as has happened to us, that we wait over an hour while queue jumpers are welcomed aboard.
I can understand your sentiments but whilst you are waiting an hour the only people that you call queue-jumpers will be those in the higher loyalty grades or in suites..
If that were true I would have no problem Bob. However on the occasion of our longest wait it wasn't. Those priority passengers were, quite rightly, being efficiently dealt with through their own dedicated desks. Those blocking us were those who had no such earned priority rights but were turning up early anyway. Many were boasting about it later on board, about how they were eating lunch three hours before their check in time. P&O either need a proper system and enforce it, or leave it a free for all and stop pretending. I wonder what happened to the promised trial system where we could nominate our own arrival times? That would make sense.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Stephen wrote:
Romig1 wrote:

:lol:
I always thought 'Uddersfield was Po Faced Land anyway !!

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

I have been following a post on Facebook from someone who was in Ocean Terminal waiting to board Britannia.

The new system is working for those who have Priority and boarding times between 1 - 2pm. Anything later they are have problems due to a backlog of passengers. His was 2:30 and he got on after 3:30pm. So, even if you turn up on time there is no guarantee of getting on at the time you have been given.
Regards

Peter

rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

Well, two more sleeps to boarding Aurora. We're travelling in one car with two friends who have different boarding times to us. We're aiming for their time of 2.00 pm. Our time is 3.00 pm so if they stick with the plan we'll have an hour to wait but as long as we're there we're quite happy to wait. Will try to post how we get on.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

PO facebook showing that Ventura has been delayed arriving at Southampton this morning due to searching for a missing person. Southampton VTS showing it will not now leave port until 19.45 tonight and people are being asked to delay their arrival so the new system being seriously tested today.

Arcadia and Celebrity Eclipse are also in port plus the Braemar arriving later so it will be very busy around the docks.

Hopefully the missing person will be found but the coastguard is now dealing with the search.

Maureen

Return to “P&O”