P&O new check in procedures

Topics relating to P&O

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: P&O new check in procedures

Post by oldbluefox »

Just been having a look at another forum and there was a chap there who had left his overnight hotel and arrived at the terminal at 10.45. And there was already 50 others there. He was complaining about having to wait until 3.00pm to board. I am surprised he and they didn't get caught up with those still disembarking. No wonder P&O have felt the need to tighten up embarkation times.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Did he not read his ticket ? Must be a fellow Goldie !!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

P&O are missing a trick .... they should round them all up and take them on a coach trip to the New Forest, sixty quid each including curly sarnies and some Tizer should cover it.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I can sympathise a little with the bloke OBF mentions. Most hotels, I should have thought, would have a chucking-out time of mid-morning, and, having had to check-out, I don't think it reasonable to expect passengers to traipse around what's left of Southampton city centre with at least one large suitcase in tow - what else are they supposed to do, except head for the terminal? P&O, amongst others, should be well aware of this situation - after all, we're expected to vacate our cabins/staterooms even earlier (for good reason). I don't think it unreasonable to expect the terminals to have adequate facilities to accommodate passengers who necessarily arrive early. Where I lose sympathy for OBF's chap is where he complains about having to wait for hours. If his boarding time wasn't until 3.00, then he should be prepared to wait until such time as he is called forward and count it a bonus to be allowed on earlier.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
P&O are missing a trick .... they should round them all up and take them on a coach trip to the New Forest, sixty quid each including curly sarnies and some Tizer should cover it.
That's a stupid idea - Vimto would be far preferable !!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Just because you have to "check out" of your hotel room at whatever o'clock does not mean that you have to leave the hotel. You can stay and use their facilities - even have something to eat (no curly sandwiches!), not only that they will usually store your luggage for you until you leave.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

The telling thing is that there were 50 or more people waiting at the terminal before 11. P&O are fighting a losing battle when people totally ignore what they are told. It really is like dealing with a bunch of wilful children !

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

qbman1 wrote:
The telling thing is that there were 50 or more people waiting at the terminal before 11. P&O are fighting a losing battle when people totally ignore what they are told. It really is like dealing with a bunch of wilful children !
Yes, I know how they feel :lol:

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Manoverboard wrote:
We have also had priority boarding a few times but rather than go to the ' curly n fizz ' jolly we opted for a quick trip to the buffet and then to sit out in the sunshine on an upper deck .... thus avoiding the riff raff AND the Noro carriers :lol: .
Yes MOB but once I walk up that gangway you have the rest of the cruise to put up with me :lolno:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Raybosailor wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
We have also had priority boarding a few times but rather than go to the ' curly n fizz ' jolly we opted for a quick trip to the buffet and then to sit out in the sunshine on an upper deck .... thus avoiding the riff raff AND the Noro carriers :lol: .
Yes MOB but once I walk up that gangway you have the rest of the cruise to put up with me :lolno:
No problem cos during the rest of the cruise we are all equals-ish

:wave:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Yes, I know how they feel :lol:
Off-topic ?!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
No problem cos during the rest of the cruise we are all equals-ish

:wave:
....except at the Goldie lunch and "cocktail" party - then we're very, very important !!
Last edited by qbman1 on 16 Nov 2015, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

.... yes of course you are :roll:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
The telling thing is that there were 50 or more people waiting at the terminal before 11.
But you do not know their circumstances - they may have flown down to Southampton or travelled by train

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

No excuses - that nice Mr Edgington has spoken !

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Manoverboard wrote:
.... yes of course you are :roll:
Your recognition of my status is much appreciated ! :wave:

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

david63 wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
The telling thing is that there were 50 or more people waiting at the terminal before 11.
But you do not know their circumstances - they may have flown down to Southampton or travelled by train
Which brings us back to the point that it is often not possible to arrive on or after the ticketed time, so the terminals need to be able to provide adequate waiting rooms.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

It also means that there will always be a number of disgruntled passengers, whatever system is adopted. Either those who arrive early and have to wait for their appointed hour or ones whose boarding is delayed because early arrivals (and Goldies!) are embarked before them ?!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

In none of the hotels we have stayed at overnight have we been required to vacate the room before 12.00 yet from 10.00 onwards you see them all piling out (tags on cases) and setting off for the terminal. That lot have no excuses at all if they are on their way.
It does create a 'sheep effect' since you start wondering if you should be leaving as well but at that time of the day we aren't organised anyway after a late breakfast and always leave when we are kicked out at 12.00. It makes for a restful morning after the drive down the day before.
What time would your flight be, or train journey if you are actually at the terminal at or before 10.45? I feel sure they weren't all flying in.
If you've been given an embarkation time and have to wait because you arrived early what is the problem?
I expect it's all those bloody southerners who live just round the corner clogging the place up!!! :lol:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Absolutely, Foxy. Some people just seem to have the need to be first for everything and bu99er everyone else. Witness the queues outside the MDR at 6:15 waiting for the doors to open at 6:30. Happens every day

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

It always amuses me when boarding an aeroplane. The moment boarding is announced some people are up immediately and pushing to be frst on, even though everybody has reserved seats. The moment the plane lands they are straight up to be first off before the plane has stopped moving even though everybody has to wait for their luggage. The same happens in the cinema, at the theatre etc.
I wonder what it is in their psyche which makes them like that? I'm usually the one left at the end talking to the chap who's tidying up. I never understand why anybody wants to be killed in the crush. And SWMBO is worse than I am!!!

gravy1955
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by gravy1955 »

For those those still interested and not experiencing "embarkation fatigue" here is the latest update copied from another forum;

"

P&O – Changes to Embarkation Procedure
The P&O Cruises embarkation procedure is changing, please read on for further details;
Summary:
• The check-in and embarkation process has been improved, increasing the number of passengers we can process per minute.
• All of our communications will ask passengers to adhere to their allotted Arrival Time on their e-ticket.
• There are some slight changes to loyalty benefits, as detailed on the attached.
• This change applies to all Ex Southampton departures with immediate effect.
Key Changes:
• In the spirit of fairness, we will be giving priority to those who arrive at their allotted time. If passengers arrive at their allotted Arrival Time or after, they will be checked in straight away and get on board quicker. All of our communications will ask passengers to adhere to their allotted Arrival Time.
• The first available arrival time is now 12.30pm, which is reserved for our Ligurian and suite guests. This is slightly later than before, but is the earliest available time in the new system. Ligurian Tier and suite benefits remain the same, and they will be given the earliest possible Arrival Time of 12.30pm.
• There will still be a priority queue for our suite, Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbean guests, but we will operate this slightly differently. Instead of dedicated desks, there will be a Priority Lane to ensure you proceed to the next available desk quicker.
• Due to the slightly later embarkation times, we invite our suite, Ligurian, Baltic and Caribbean guests to a new and improved Welcome On Board Reception in place of the existing embarkation lounge. The reception will run from 1.30pm to 3.30pm, serving a selection of complimentary alcoholic and soft drinks, and canapés.
• Baltic and Caribbean Tier passengers will be allocated an early Arrival Time of 1pm. However, this time may not be printed on their e-ticket, something we’re looking to correct by early 2016. In the meantime, they should arrive at 1pm, regardless of the time on their e-ticket.
• Arrival Times are allocated by deck. The size of the ship dictates the number of people per deck that are given any one time to ensure a steady flow at embarkation. Priority Arrival Times are given to our top three loyalty tiers.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

oldbluefox wrote:
It always amuses me when boarding an aeroplane. The moment boarding is announced some people are up immediately and pushing to be frst on, even though everybody has reserved seats. The moment the plane lands they are straight up to be first off before the plane has stopped moving even though everybody has to wait for their luggage. The same happens in the cinema, at the theatre etc.
I wonder what it is in their psyche which makes them like that? I'm usually the one left at the end talking to the chap who's tidying up. I never understand why anybody wants to be killed in the crush. And SWMBO is worse than I am!!!
With aeroplanes the last one on will find that all the overhead locker space will have been taken up with Everest-sized backpacks, patio umbrellas, grand pianos, barbecues and everything else that they seem to bring on these days whilst I try to find somewhere for my carrier bag.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

We've probably been staying overnight in Southampton for the last fifteen years or so and we've never been kicked out of a hotel either, we tend to have finished breakfast around 9.30am and then go back to our room and clear it of luggage so very often we have vacated our room by 10.00am, we will then sit and have coffee and chat and usually make our way to the terminal to arrive for about noon, it's never been a problem in the past and from P&O's recent update it would seem they won't be upsetting the 'goldies' in future so there shouldn't be a problem ... until norovirus strikes then everyone will be in the same boat ( pun intended ) and we'll all get on when they say :roll:
Jo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

We use the Hilton Hotel. Check out time is midday. So no earthly reason to turn up at the terminal at 10.45. And actually even after we've checked out we don't get thrown out of the hotel. If we have a later check in time we can load the car in a very safe car park - who's going to smash their way into a car and nick cases in broad daylight with people around - then sit in a comfortable hotel lounge with drinks and even food available if we want it before setting out for the terminal. We usually set out about 90 mins before our appointed time - 15 mins to drive there, 30-45 mins wait for CPS, and 30-45 mins for disasters. We would allow a little extra if we had a very late boarding time or the city was likely to be very busy. Even if everything goes very smoothly on the journey we're not there more than 45 mins before time, which we can wait in the embarkation lounge. But 10.45 for a 3 o'clock embarkation? No way.

Return to “P&O”