Another question..

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Another question..

Post by suespud »

As it has been God knows how long since I have cruised... :roll: things are a bit different now.. :crazy:
I have entered all details on my cruise personaliser, but when will I be able to book restaurants and the spa and tours?
We don't go till feb 2017 ....another 331 days!!!

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Another question..

Post by Boris+ »

suespud wrote:
As it has been God knows how long since I have cruised... :roll: things are a bit different now.. :crazy:
I have entered all details on my cruise personaliser, but when will I be able to book restaurants and the spa and tours?
I suppose it depends on the cruise line. I've had experiences where one particular cruise line couldn't/wouldn't put their excursions on the website until it was coming up very close to final payment date. As I wasn't satisfied with that situation, I cancelled the booking, as there was one special thing I wanted to try to do. I wouldn't have minded if the itinerary had been changed due to operational reasons, I'd have put up with it; but I simply wasn't happy with not even being able to read stuff about this one port of call which was part of the advertised itinerary.

I subsequently made a new booking with a different cruise line for almost the same itinerary but it was at that point over a year away, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could not only read all about the port of call which I really wanted, but also the specific excursion. Within moments of making the reservation for this alternative cruise I was able to book and pay for the excursion in question.

So, it's sort of down to which cruise line. Good luck, I hope you get all you want from your cruise, and have a great time.

Topic author
suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Boris+ wrote:
suespud wrote:
I suppose it depends on the cruise line. I've had experiences where one particular cruise line couldn't/wouldn't put their excursions on the website until it was coming up very close to final payment date. As I wasn't satisfied with that situation, I cancelled the booking, as there was one special thing I wanted to try to do. I wouldn't have minded if the itinerary had been changed due to operational reasons, I'd have put up with it; but I simply wasn't happy with not even being able to read stuff about this one port of call which was part of the advertised itinerary.

I subsequently made a new booking with a different cruise line for almost the same itinerary but it was at that point over a year away, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could not only read all about the port of call which I really wanted, but also the specific excursion. Within moments of making the reservation for this alternative cruise I was able to book and pay for the excursion in question.

So, it's sort of down to which cruise line. Good luck, I hope you get all you want from your cruise, and have a great time.
The cruise line is P&O....Azura is the ship... If near final payment date is when I can book that's fine by me,I just want to know when I can do this stuff.
I have read about all the ports(its all out there) and read about previous tours..and I am gathering info from others, so when I find out what tours are I actually available, I wil be ready to book.
I am easy to please, with no demands and like to go with the flow, (as long as the fizzy stuff is plentiful :lol: ) so I am sure we will have a wonderful time.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

they usually say 90 days for tours - but in practice a bit nearer departure than that.

dunno about Spa and stuff though
Meg
x

Topic author
suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Meg 50 wrote:
they usually say 90 days for tours - but in practice a bit nearer departure than that.

dunno about Spa and stuff though
Thanks Meg.
x

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

We have found that the tours go in sale very early now. Our Baltic cruise for July tours went on sale last December. For restaurants and spas usually just after final payment stage.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

It seems to depend. Some cruises we have found that the excursions go on sale months in advance but the majority of the ones for our forthcoming Oceana cruise in May didn't appear until some time towards the end of February - a few came on early but the rest were listed as Waitlisted - I couldn't understand that as we'd been checking frequently and they hadn't been available but there they were waitlisted. I eventually found out from P&O that when some go online but others haven't been finalised those that aren't ready are always listed as Waitlisted - even though they're not - see simple!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

For a Cunard cruise December 2015 which I booked in April 2015 the tours were available as soon as my personaliser went live.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Dancing Queen wrote:
For a Cunard cruise December 2015 which I booked in April 2015 the tours were available as soon as my personaliser went live.
You were lucky then. The cruise which we cancelled due to the excursions etc being a right royal mess was a Cunard one.

That was then, this is now. At the time they said I should put up with not knowing what excursions were available, and I simply didn't like that. Our booking (as ever) was QG, and I did think that they might have been a little bit more on the ball. Afterall, for someone whose preference is to only do the excursions provided by the cruiseline (not diy), it is a bit important to be able to look at and hopefully book what is going to be on offer - otherwise, we might just as well have booked a cruise to remain on the ship the whole time.

Oh well, it doesn't matter for us now - but you mentioned booking an April 2015 during December 2015. Given that your booking took place not too long before final payment date that was great for you. We weren't that lucky.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote:
Dancing Queen wrote:
You were lucky then. The cruise which we cancelled due to the excursions etc being a right royal mess was a Cunard one.

That was then, this is now. At the time they said I should put up with not knowing what excursions were available, and I simply didn't like that. Our booking (as ever) was QG, and I did think that they might have been a little bit more on the ball. Afterall, for someone whose preference is to only do the excursions provided by the cruiseline (not diy), it is a bit important to be able to look at and hopefully book what is going to be on offer - otherwise, we might just as well have booked a cruise to remain on the ship the whole time.

Oh well, it doesn't matter for us now - but you mentioned booking an April 2015 during December 2015. Given that your booking took place not too long before final payment date that was great for you. We weren't that lucky.

Errr no what I said was a booking for December 2015 which was made in April 2015 which by my reckoning probably made final payment late August I estimate that to be roughly 5 months so I would say that was quite a length of time.

I don't know how far in advance you expect excursions to appear nor is it of any interest to me my reply was to Sue, I would have thought much depends on the cruise line being able to negotiate favourable terms with local tour operators and if they won't commit themselves there is little the cruise line can do until they do, I agree we all like to know what is on offer so we can plan but I also think we have to be realistic, I have been known to book 18 months in advance and I wouldn't have expected any tours to be available that far in advance.

Still it gave you the opportunity to give Cunard another 'bashing' oh and just for the record I don't think Cunard care if you are QG or in the cheapest inside cabin everyone has the same opportunity to book tours once they are available and rightly so :thumbup: :clap:
Jo

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Out of interest ....

* P&O's World Segments can be booked up very early, over 15 months for ours in 2012.

* Celebrity do not allow FD pax to book Dining Venues unless they have pre paid their gratuities.

Just saying ....
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hey Jo,

Calm down dear! Sorry if I got the April and December mixed up.

I've got cruises booked now (and have had for a little while now) for 2017, and I've already got excursions booked and paid for.

Bye the way - I wasn't bashing Cunard; I have absolutely no interest in what Cunard are up to.

Considering the price Cunard charge for QG (especially the bigger suites), I think they should care about those passengers.

Oh well, onwards and upwards, you've had your rant, hope it made your day!

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Manoverboard wrote:
Out of interest ....

* P&O's World Segments can be booked up very early, over 15 months for ours in 2012.

* Celebrity do not allow FD pax to book Dining Venues unless they have pre paid their gratuities.

Just saying ....
We've always been lucky on X - we've always had deals in which the grats were included, therefore I didn't come across that problem.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Hey Boris
No ranting coming from me I can assure you, I am a very laid back calm person I was merely pointing out your error regarding dates to emphasise tours were available to book 5 months in advance or possibly sooner for those who had booked earlier, for someone with no interest in Cunard then why even bother to comment if you have nothing nice to say unless as I said it was another opportunity for you to down cry them.

I didn’t say Cunard didn’t care about their passengers I said they don’t care if they are in a suite or in the cheapest inside cabin they are all treated equally and so they should be although you obviously don’t think in those terms.

If you are going to quote me dear then do get it right.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Jo,

I'm having a lovely day, and it's all the better that you kindly called me 'dear' in the above post. That gives me a nice sort of warm friendly feeling - and bless you for that.

I can see what you say and it's your opinion that you think Cunard 'don't care if they are in a suite of in the cheapest inside cabin they are all treated equally and so they should be', as per your post above. You are completely correct, I do think that QG passengers should get better treatment. At the moment though, all the special offers with upgrades willy- nilly from Cunard makes me think that they can't 'give it away'. I do wonder what the new top brass at Cunard are up to.

Hope your next cruise is lovely.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Boris+ wrote:
Hi Jo,

I'm having a lovely day, and it's all the better that you kindly called me 'dear' in the above post. That gives me a nice sort of warm friendly feeling - and bless you for that.

I can see what you say and it's your opinion that you think Cunard 'don't care if they are in a suite of in the cheapest inside cabin they are all treated equally and so they should be', as per your post above. You are completely correct,I do think that QG passengers should get better treatment. At the moment though, all the special offers with upgrades willy- nilly from Cunard makes me think that they can't 'give it away'. I do wonder what the new top brass at Cunard are up to.

They do. Better cabins. Exclusive access to some facilities. Priority this and that.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Boris+ wrote:
Hi Jo,

I can see what you say and it's your opinion that you think Cunard 'don't care if they are in a suite of in the cheapest inside cabin they are all treated equally and so they should be', as per your post above. You are completely correct,I do think that QG passengers should get better treatment. At the moment though, all the special offers with upgrades willy- nilly from Cunard makes me think that they can't 'give it away'. I do wonder what the new top brass at Cunard are up to.

They do. Better cabins. Exclusive access to some facilities. Priority this and that.
Sometimes! Not always. Not 'having a go' - just telling it as it was.

CruisingGirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by CruisingGirl »

Sue

It will vary but all will be available at 90 days out. I sail on Azura a lot and can usually book on line for all those well before 90 days. I am a high tier member but i don't think that affects it. As far as I am aware, from a crew member who is a friend, they release them as soon as they appear on their booking system. In fact you probably don't need to book depending on what you plan.

Restaurants

The speciality restaurants are only occasionally full. Mostly they will be hard selling during the cruise, especially at the cooking demos on the first sea day. Being full is often just because there is a wedding on board and they have their reception there or its a special day. If you don't mind eating early they will do a free bottle of wine offer and occasionally a discount. Sindhu being cheaper gets booked more quickly than Epicurean. In a suite ask your Butler to do it when you on board, they will twist the arm of the relevant restaurant manager even if they are "full". One meal that I can't remember if you can book via the personaliser and one of the best bargains and meals is the winepairing menu in the Glass House. Spaces are truly limited and its a bit under the counter. If you are in the Glass House on day 1 you may see information sheets on the tables after that forget it, it is likely to be gone. You get a great meal with a matching wine and a bit of a wine talk about what you are drinking for £40.They do 2 or 3 per 14 day cruise. You don't book for the Glass House usually but again its very good just not formal dining. Go to the bar and speak to the head wine chap he'll get you sorted. Also on a sea day if you fancy a few glasses and some nibbles go their wine tasting sessions usually £15 and the talk is reasonable, no attempt to sell the wines.

Spa

Its relatively expensive, so usually no need to book but if you want your hair done on a formal night at a particular time book in advance. All else they will do many offers in any cruise with significant discounts on port days. I usually book for 8am on a port day get back tot he cabing then go ashore.

Trips

Popular ones will sell out. Most you can buy aboard. Many you can buy shoreside cheaper.

Hope that all helps

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Boris+ wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Boris+ wrote:
Hi Jo,

Sometimes! Not always. Not 'having a go' - just telling it as it was.
Are you saying that you have been in the Grills on Cunard and not received a better cabin than a bog-standard balcony, exclusive access to Grills Terrace (QV and QE), QG Lounge, Grills dining room, priority boarding? If so, no wonder you're complaining. The last time I went in the Grills, the benefits offered far exceeded the benefits offered with a suite on any other line, and were greatly appreciated. but I didn't expect priority in any other area; in what way, outside the things I've listed, would you expect better treatment than anyone else?

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi AnnieC,

I'm just saying what happened to us - and then it was a case of several cruises with problems so we decided no more Cunard (for a while at least).

I will admit that we had a better suite than a bog standard balcony - the aft Q1s on QV are wonderful, if a bit too roomy. The same locations on QE simply don't have the same acreage of balcony, and felt a little smaller. Our access to the things you mentioned such as the Grills Lounge, Terrace and Sundecks were by no means exclusive. Same goes for the relevant areas including the Concierge lounge on QM2 etc.

However, luxurious as it might sound having a nice big suite; my idea of luxury is NOT frayed and stained carpets, ripped and tatty bed linen, mould in bathrooms and ill fitting curtains. That is what we had to put up with on several cruises, and complaining (always done politely and factually with evidence) achieved diddly squat.

You ask in what way would I like better treatment than those not in the Grills - well for instance when something happened which meant that all the passengers were 'given' some obc, everyone got the same. Problem is, if you look at what was 'given' (and it was a paltry sum in reality) then as a percentage of what was paid by someone in an inside cabin (last minute deal or not), the percentage figure was considerably higher than those of us who paid the going rate for the better QG suites. On the other hand, if we're off on an excursion I most certainly would not expect to be treated better than anyone else on the same excursion - just 'one of the gang'.

Meanwhile, I truly hope that anyone who is booked with Cunard has a wonderful time, and I wish them all happy cruising.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I was so looking forward to a mud bath fight :!: :)

Topic author
suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Boris maybe it would a good idea to let people know which suites they were and on which ship, so as those who sail on cunard could avoid them.
Im sure there is a cabin review bit on here somewhere.
Last edited by suespud on 25 Mar 2016, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

CruisingGirl wrote:
Sue

It will vary but all will be available at 90 days out. I sail on Azura a lot and can usually book on line for all those well before 90 days. I am a high tier member but i don't think that affects it. As far as I am aware, from a crew member who is a friend, they release them as soon as they appear on their booking system. In fact you probably don't need to book depending on what you plan.

Restaurants

The speciality restaurants are only occasionally full. Mostly they will be hard selling during the cruise, especially at the cooking demos on the first sea day. Being full is often just because there is a wedding on board and they have their reception there or its a special day. If you don't mind eating early they will do a free bottle of wine offer and occasionally a discount. Sindhu being cheaper gets booked more quickly than Epicurean. In a suite ask your Butler to do it when you on board, they will twist the arm of the relevant restaurant manager even if they are "full". One meal that I can't remember if you can book via the personaliser and one of the best bargains and meals is the winepairing menu in the Glass House. Spaces are truly limited and its a bit under the counter. If you are in the Glass House on day 1 you may see information sheets on the tables after that forget it, it is likely to be gone. You get a great meal with a matching wine and a bit of a wine talk about what you are drinking for £40.They do 2 or 3 per 14 day cruise. You don't book for the Glass House usually but again its very good just not formal dining. Go to the bar and speak to the head wine chap he'll get you sorted. Also on a sea day if you fancy a few glasses and some nibbles go their wine tasting sessions usually £15 and the talk is reasonable, no attempt to sell the wines.

Spa

Its relatively expensive, so usually no need to book but if you want your hair done on a formal night at a particular time book in advance. All else they will do many offers in any cruise with significant discounts on port days. I usually book for 8am on a port day get back tot he cabing then go ashore.

Trips

Popular ones will sell out. Most you can buy aboard. Many you can buy shoreside cheaper.

Hope that all helps
Thank you Cruising Girl, that is very helpful.

Welcome to the forum :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Surely if something goes wrong, such as a port missed, the inconvenience/disappointment is the same for all so the OBC should be the same?

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Sue,

The Berengaria on QV was ok, and the Charles on QE was ok, but apart from that we had 'issues'. We had both of those suites several times (hence my liking of the aft suites), however as my old lap top blew up a couple of months back, I don't have the records of the various suite numbers any more, and the faults have probably been rectified now anyway, so my records wouldn't be relevant (hopefully). I can say though that we mainly used Decks 7 and 8 on QV and QE (apart from the Charles), and usually Decks 9/10 on QM2 I think.

And in regard to the 'compo' situation I mentioned - it should have been done in proportion to the amount paid for the cruise. That would have been fair.

Return to “P&O”