P&O Summer 2018 Cruises

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

P&O Summer 2018 Cruises

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Well the P&O Summer 2018 cruises are available for pre-registration tomorrow. We're in no great rush as we have some other things to finalise first before we consider a 2018 cruise. And if Adonia isn't back it may not be P&O anyway, but I'm amazed that I've seen no leaks of the itineraries yet this year. Have they sat on the TAs who've prevously let the cat out of the bag early?

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: P&O Summer 2018 Cruises

Post by Whynd1 »

It's unusual not to have some indication of what's to come..

I usually book at least one cruise when the new brochure is released, but I don't think I'm inclined to part with my money and commit so early this time. It would have to have some different ports of call for me to do that.

I'm on Arcadia in November and if they are still doing it will pay the £50 for a future cruise deposit for 2017.

Lindsey

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Couldn't care less.
We haven't even thought about what we might do next year let alone 2018 :roll:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I'm wondering if it's been postponed. we haven't even had the warning shot across the bows from the TA - let alone the unsubtle hints of the content!
Meg
x

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

They are all there now. 8-)

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Some new ports. Loving the Oriana and Arcadia ones. Fab Caribbean one in October on Arcadia. That is a defo.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

just found them....

here
Meg
x

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Brochure arrived this morning.

Disappointing, but no surprise, that Adonia isn't back, but interesting that she gets a mention in the "Our ships" section. Is that just to drum up support for fathom or so we don't forget her?

In her absence, not sure there's much here for us at the moment. Don't know yet if we'll have to settle for a 7 night cruise or can afford more in 2018, as we have other fish still frying.

But if it's 7 there's not much choice. Even the 7 nighters up the Fjords, which we always enjoy, seem to be all doing pretty much the same itinerary as we did this year, with little variation in the ports.

If we could do 14 our first choice would be to do the North Cape, which doesn't appear, so maybe we'll have to look at Princess. The only 14 night we do quite like the look of is Azura (possibly our favourite ship at the moment) to Iceland taking in some Scottish Islands on the way. Or maybe the Baltic again.

We'll wait and see till our other plans are clearer and also until Princess and Cunard reveal their hands. Another transatlantic, the other way, or a fly cruise to do the Panama might be options there.

Or I still fancy Lord of the Glens or Moby's barge, Wessex Rose, as a real change

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We are a bit underwhelmed with the new offerings, our favoured choices, because of wheelchair friendliness and entertainment venues, are Azura and Ventura and there is only one 17 nighter in the new summer list, compared with about 4 in 2017.
Most of the cruises seem to be to the same old ports as well, unless you're an Oriana, Arcadia or Aurora fan which have the most new ports and Captain's choice cruises, as well Peninsular cruises with the extra discount.
There also seem a lot more 7 night cruises, even if most are during school holiday periods where the higher loading fares make 14 night cruises prohibitive for families.
I assume we will be booking something but the sparkle has gone off the anticipation.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

towny44 wrote:
Most of the cruises seem to be to the same old ports as well, unless you're an Oriana, Arcadia or Aurora fan which have the most new ports ....
presumably because the larger ships are limited to where they can enter
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

To be fair there are a few new ports, for P&O rather than us that is, but the ratio of sea days to Ports is way far too high to tempt us ... unless there happens to be a last minute deal in the offing.

Meanwhile we will continue to book Riverboats etc pending the return of Adonia.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Meg 50 wrote:
towny44 wrote:
Most of the cruises seem to be to the same old ports as well, unless you're an Oriana, Arcadia or Aurora fan which have the most new ports ....

Good enough reason to bring back smaller ships...
Mel

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

screwy wrote:
Meg 50 wrote:
towny44 wrote:

Good enough reason to bring back smaller ships...
Maybe, though there are plenty of ports the bigger ships can go to that they are not.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We want to do the USA and Canada cruise for 2018, and there's two choices - the standard 24 night cruise on Aurora and a longer 30 night cruise on Arcadia.

Both have pros and cons. the longer cruise has 3 days in New York, but misses Boston. Whereas the shorter cruise has 2 nights in New York, but has Boston as well.

Boston is high on my list of places to see, so the shorter cruise is the favourite at the moment.

But we'll wait to see what Cunard are doing, before we make any choices
Gill

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Gill W wrote:
Any idea when Cunard are publishing theirs Gill?

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Gill W wrote:
Someone posted they are due tomorrow.

Libralass54
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Libralass54 »

Its still 6 months earlier though than it used to be for schedules , wouldnt of been available till April 2017 before?

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Gill W wrote:
Yes, as Dai said, I also understand that it's tomorrow
Libralass54 wrote:
Its still 6 months earlier though than it used to be for schedules , wouldnt of been available till April 2017 before?
Yes, it's much earlier than it used to be. I really want to do the USA and Canada cruise, but booking 2 yrs in advance is quite steep
Gill

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Gill W wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Gill W wrote:
Yes, as Dai said, I also understand that it's tomorrow
Libralass54 wrote:
Yes, it's much earlier than it used to be. I really want to do the USA and Canada cruise, but booking 2 yrs in advance is quite steep
Perhaps that is why they have reduced the deposit to 5 %. We are quite happy to book early to ensure our cabin choice and dining. The extra early booking discount is also a great incentive.

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I guess it's like Christmas. As soon as one shop has the stock on sale they all have to join in or miss the custom. Happy Easter by the way.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

I cannot say that ! am overwhelmed by the selection. There certainly seems to be a lot of emphasis on Oriana cruises which suits me, however it,s far too soon to be booking for 2018 . At my age I don,t even buy green bananas!

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Gill W wrote:
We want to do the USA and Canada cruise for 2018, and there's two choices - the standard 24 night cruise on Aurora and a longer 30 night cruise on Arcadia.

Both have pros and cons. the longer cruise has 3 days in New York, but misses Boston. Whereas the shorter cruise has 2 nights in New York, but has Boston as well.

Boston is high on my list of places to see, so the shorter cruise is the favourite at the moment.

For me, Gill, it would be a great shame to miss Boston, having got so close. It is a fascinating city with lots to see along the History Trail which is easy to follow with the benefit of the map provided at the start. And you can even have a beer in "Cheers" (where everybody knows your name!)

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

2018 is only, for some cruises, 18-20 months or so ahead. We booked that far ahead for many cruises in years past, not least, the east coast US/Canada cruise,(when only one ship did that once a year), a Greenland/Iceland/Norway cruise,(when Greenland was a once in a few years cruise), and an 80 day circumnavigation worldie, though that is not a full world cruise apparently, because it is too short :roll: :lol: :? :sarcasm:

Despite our priority booking status we won't be booking anything soon until health matters have been sorted, but, we have also found, after 3 long cruises in the past year,( 71 nights), that booking later, YES!!! booking later, which we now have to do, has the better deal sometimes, even on a select fare. £500 less pp and £700pp OBC on our last cruise with just a few weeks difference in when we booked. The saver fare was less but after OBC, it worked out more than the select fare; who is doing the sums???

As for the previous 2 cruises, I won't bore you with how much we saved after booking early and then by cancelling and rebooking, Start at £3000.00 and go from there with exactly the same cabins and dining preferences on both of those cruises.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Gill W wrote:

Go for the cruise which includes Boston; you can see a great deal in NY in 2 days, we did, but Boston is not to be missed.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Looks as if you may be unlucky for 2018 cruises as most will have gone before you can book
Pre-register your interest for our inspiring new cruise collection today

Can’t wait for bookings to open? Reserve your dream holiday by pre-registering now. you can pre-register your interest between 5-14 September. Collection on general sale and available to book from 19 September 2018.
(Source: P&O website 06-09-2016 09:00)

Return to “P&O”