2018 Cruise Price Rise

Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

2018 Cruise Price Rise

Post by david63 »

Just had a look at the current price for our 2018 booking only to find that since booking opened seven weeks ago the price has gone up 7%. :shock: :o

I wonder what the excuse is Brexit or the falling value of the Pound?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: 2018 Cruise Price Rise

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Give it five minutes and one of the Bremoaners will be along to explain one is the fault of the other and that we're doomed.

However, the price of our 2017 cruise had gone up by more than 10% before the vote, so maybe just flexible pricing or whatever they call it these days.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 08 Nov 2016, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I never bother to look once booked. If it goes up or down so be it. You pays your money and takes your chance. But it's probably the US vote causing it ;) :)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

The holiday that I booked for 2018 is now £100 per person more than I paid.

I remember one I fancied for 2017 on Oriana that went up by £200 per person very soon after so I left it and will look at a saver price later on.
Empty vessels .. and all that

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

our outside cabin for Azura to Iceland in 2018 has gone up by £290

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Give it five minutes and one of the Bremoaners will be along to explain one is the fault of the other and that we're doomed.

However, the price of our 2017 cruise had gone up by more than 10% before the vote, so maybe just flexible pricing or whatever they call it these days.
Would you mind keeping the snarkyness about the referendum on the appropriate threads so that I don't have to see it?

I nearly left the forum in the summer due to all the unpleasantness, and have only stayed as I avoid the current affairs threads.

If the snippy comments are going to spill out on to the cruising threads, then I'm out of here.

Thank you
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I blame the Smurfmeister - he did invite that with his opening post !

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

It's the term 'Bremoaner' that I found dismissive and disparaging.

I cant help that I voted to remain, but have accepted the result of the referendum and don't moan about it, and don't call people names if they have a different opinion to me

No doubt the impending Brexit will have various impacts on cruising that we may discuss in future, but I would prefer it if people remained civil and if they have to call people names, keep it on the discussion threads, not the cruising threads.

To be honest, I'm fuming at the moment
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Here Here Gill !

There is a place for it.
Empty vessels .. and all that

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

I much prefer the cruising threads to discuss cruising too. Hopefully in those threads personal sniping is kept to a minimum, or preferably avoided altogether.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Don't take too much notice Gill. As a Brexiteer I have been called racist, xenophobic, ignorant of what I was voting for and so on. I know why I voted as I did and and it was neither of these so I just ignore. Hopefully we can keep cruising threads clear of the political landscape.

What does make me fuming though is in breaking my vow (as a consequence of this thread) and finding that my cruise in 2018 is £300pp cheaper!!! I should never have looked and it's ALL your faults!!!

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

oldbluefox wrote:
my cruise in 2018 is £300pp cheaper
Is that one you have booked for 2018 or the equivalent for another year?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

david63 wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
my cruise in 2018 is £300pp cheaper
Is that one you have booked for 2018 or the equivalent for another year?
Already booked for 2018. The last one I tracked went up in price so I changed tactics. Que sera, sera, some you win and some you lose. Mind you it's a good itinerary so not too despondent. I'll survive!!

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Gill makes a good point and Sir Merv deserves a good spanking for his misdemeanour.

Where's Stephen when you want him? :lol:

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote:
Gill makes a good point and Sir Merv deserves a good spanking for his misdemeanour.

I'm not a violent person, but for you I'll make an exception 8-)

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We were booked on a Cunard cruise in April, it was a transfer of deposit from a different one, so couldn't be changed. We recently wanted to upgrade our cabin - to one that normally is NOT reduced as they very, very rarely go to Saver Fare.

Our TA quoted the upgrade price, which was considerably more than the current price, which is still called the Cunard (full price)Fare. So we cancelled, rebooked the cabin grade we now want, at the current price and have still saved a goodly sum - even allowing for the loss of the previous deposit. Plus our FCD pulled through giving our OBC a good boost.

Win win!
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Gill W wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

Would you mind keeping the snarkyness about the referendum on the appropriate threads so that I don't have to see it?

I nearly left the forum in the summer due to all the unpleasantness, and have only stayed as I avoid the current affairs threads.

If the snippy comments are going to spill out on to the cruising threads, then I'm out of here.

Thank you

I very much doubt there was any intent on Mervs part to be 'snarky' .. as an in-betweener if I was so inclined I could take offence from both sides but I don't :silent: I think you need to loosen up if we all start having to think if an innocent remark will be deemed inappropriate to a certain thread then we may as well give up :crazy: I hear what you are saying but you have been as guilty as the rest of us for going off topic unfortunately none of us are perfect :shock:
Jo

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote:
Onelife wrote:

I'm not a violent person, but for you I'll make an exception 8-)
In that case just make sure you wet your hand before laying into him...I wanna hear him Squeak Squeak :thumbup: :D :lol:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Gill W wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

Thank you
My apologies Gill. I did not intend to upset anyone. My interpretation was that this topic posed a question related to Brexit. My careless use of a term you find offensive was perhaps sparked by the abuse we Brexiteers have endured from one or two on this forum. My intention was to make the point that price rises were a fact of life before Brexit.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 09 Nov 2016, 17:48, edited 3 times in total.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thank you, Mervyn.

It's not so much that the term is offensive, but being in a minority on this board, I was doing everything I could to avoid getting involved with heated debate on this subject. That included avoiding discussion threads where it can get inflamatory.

So I was happily looking at a cruising thread, when out of the blue i read your post, and it really made me cross!

I don't expect everyone to be walking on egg shells, and I generally it takes a lot to offend me, but this time I saw red!

Anyway, thank you for apologising, and let's move on now :)
Gill

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

I've just done a dummy run for our cruise in 14 weeks time...the same grade SDL cabin next to us, is £1800 more than we paid..!!!
Suites are starting at a lesser price than SDL. :crazy:
I accepted that we might well have paid over the odds booking so early. ..but the price rise has really shocked me.
Last edited by suespud on 09 Nov 2016, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I hope you are all taking into account when comparing prices you paid, that all 2018 brochures prices are already discounted online by 5% and if you have put in a Peninsular number by a further 5% or 10% if a peninsular cruise.............just saying.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

you are quite correct but I was stating the fare we paid after the discounts to what we would have to pay now which is £290 each more

Return to “P&O”