Topics relating to P&O

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hand Washing

Post by david63 »

Yes I know that old chestnut again!

It appears that the use of hand gel requirements have, or are being, changed. On our recent Adonia cruise this appeared in the Horizon one day:
Hand Washing
You are reminded that in a confined environment such as a ship, viruses can be easily transferred. Hand washing is a simple and effective method of reducing the risk of contamination. You need only make use of the alchol hand gel if it is offered to you if you have particular concerns about your own hygiene.
There was a distinct lack of hand gel around the ship and this sounds like a backward step in my opinion - surely any measures that aim to reduce the incidence of Noro should be utilised.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Hand Washing

Post by GillD46 »

The trouble is people rely on the handwash. And NOTHING beats correct hand washing.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Yes I agree that thorough hand washing is best. However we always have a couple of small hand gels with us as an addition (not normally as an alternative), one for handbag or camera bag, and one for the bathroom.
Last time on QM2 we were surprised that there was hand gel on embarking the ship.
Last edited by Boris+ on 23 Jul 2017, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Just out of interest, is the dispenser soap in the loo's antibacterial?

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I much prefer washing my hands, as the hand gel brings me out in a rash. After 5 weeks on Oceana last year my hands were in a horrible itchy state. Earlier this year when we were on Aurora for seven weeks, they have now installed wash hand basins at the entrance to the Horizon, so I was able to wash my hands before I went in, much better. I noticed most people just used the gel, rather than wash their hands, so i was in the minority.

If there are no washing facilities outside the restaurant,I am happy to wash my hands in my cabin and make my way to the restaurant, carefully not touching anything.... however, I think there is a need to be seen to be using the gel, otherwise one might get comments from other passengers
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

The reality too is that most hand gels are antibacterial. While they will deal with a number of other nasties they won't kill noro, which is a virus.

The best protection really is thorough hand washing with soap and water.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 12:38
Yes I agree that thorough hand washing is best. However we always have a couple of small hand gels with us as an addition (not normally as an alternative), one for handbag or camera bag, and one for the bathroom.
Last time on QM2 we were surprised that there was hand gel on embarking the ship
Always hand gel when embarking a P&O ship. :)

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

We always take the Anti-Viral foam with us + use the Hand Gel whenever we need to.
Mel

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

For some reason, Boots have stopped stocking the anti-viral foam I always bought. Any suggestions for alternatives, please?

Barb44
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Barb44 »

anniec wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 14:14
For some reason, Boots have stopped stocking the anti-viral foam I always bought. Any suggestions for alternatives, please?
I always used to purchase Purell VF481 which was used in hospitals but I think it has now been replaced by Purell Advanced. When I was in hospital all patients were given a small bottle of this. It is bactericidal, virucidal, fungicidal, yeasticidal, tuberculocidal and mycobactericidal.

It is sold on Amazon but the handbag size bottles are usually only sold in bulk so I buy a 300ml bottle and dispense it into my empty 60ml bottles.

We always wash our hands regularly but I find these small bottles ideal for using in the self-service restaurants when we sit down to eat, after using serving utensils used by passengers who might not have washed their hands.
Barbara x

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Cripes, that should kill just about everything dead, as they used to say in a very badly written advert. Very many thanks - I shall head to Amazon.

Barb44
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Barb44 »

Annie, Make sure you look for the "Advanced" product as I think the others are just antibacterial.
Barbara x

divadeb51
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by divadeb51 »

I faithfully wash hands. My DH used to be a sanitizer guy until he got noro and I didn't, even sharing close quarters with him.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

anniec wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 14:14
It seems they have replaced it with...EcoHydra Sanitising foam...Alcohol free. same thing, different name i would think.
Mel

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Very many thanks, Barb and Screwy.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

david63 wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 11:12
Yes I know that old chestnut again!

It appears that the use of hand gel requirements have, or are being, changed. On our recent Adonia cruise this appeared in the Horizon one day:
Hand Washing
You are reminded that in a confined environment such as a ship, viruses can be easily transferred. Hand washing is a simple and effective method of reducing the risk of contamination. You need only make use of the alchol hand gel if it is offered to you if you have particular concerns about your own hygiene.
There was a distinct lack of hand gel around the ship and this sounds like a backward step in my opinion - surely any measures that aim to reduce the incidence of Noro should be utilised.
Yep, same notice was still appearing in Horizon on our recent Adonia cruise. No sign of Noro but there was always a waiter on hand at dinner to dispense the gel and at breakfast we had to rely on the free-standing dispenser but, on a couple of occasions, we witnessed the head waiters on the door reminding passengers to use the gel

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

A quick update for anyone interested: Toddled off to Boots this week, and the anti-viral foam is back in stock. Hooray - just in time for the festive Norovirus season and so much better than the alternatives.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I have always wondered why P&O provide the Gel, it is surely up to the passengers to maintain their own levels of hygiene.

So ... every cabin should be provided with anti-viral foam and an appropriate charge be made the their Cabin Account.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Manoverboard wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 11:28
I have always wondered why P&O provide the Gel, it is surely up to the passengers to maintain their own levels of hygiene.

So ... every cabin should be provided with anti-viral foam and an appropriate charge be made the their Cabin Account.
I guess it is in part to protect the other passengers. And themselves of course. If some unhygienic git gives you Noro who do you demand compo from? It certainly won't be the selfish fellow traveller. :sarcasm:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Another good reason to avoid the buffet bunfight

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Was quite impressed with the hand washing facilities in the redesigned buffet on Oriana. The only problem was that most folk didn’t appear to know their purpose. Perhaps a few signs might help.

The other problem was that as they were used so infrequently that when the paper towels did run out, they were not always replenished quickly.
Last edited by Ranchi on 16 Nov 2017, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Ranchi wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 13:06
Was quite impressed with the hand washing facilities in the redesigned buffet on Oriana. The only problem was that most folk didn’t appear to know their purpose. Perhaps a few signs might help.

The other problem was that as they were used so infrequently that when the paper towels did run out, they were not always replenished quickly.
or a quick stab with a cattle prod while pointing to the hand gel normally get they're attention.
Last edited by Stephen on 16 Nov 2017, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

qbman1 wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 12:01
Another good reason to avoid the buffet bunfight
Normally I would disagree QB, but on Celebrity recently it was horrendous and a complete mishmash so we opted for the main dining room. What a different experience, wonderful.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

There are some who do not seem to know the purpose of the tongs and just get stuck in with the fingers,
Don't worry, be happy

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

...and who knows where they have been ?!

Return to “P&O”