Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: No More Service Charge

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 15:53
barney wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 11:48
Stephen !!!!!! :shh:

They're a touchy lot barney. A bit like mosquitoes, they bite easy :D
Not really Stephen, we just roll our eyes and say, its that barmy southern softy mouthing off again. ;)
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I rest my case :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It wouldn't be such a heavy case if you tipped the poor devils ….. just saying :angel:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Manoverboard wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 18:42
It wouldn't be such a heavy case if you tipped the poor devils ….. just saying :angel:
You tipped the scales with that one moby :)

:wave:

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

There will definitely still be tipping threads - now there is no service charge (when that happens) do you tip anyway - how much do you tip - who do you tip etc. etc. etc.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Carole,

I've already said in a earlier post what l think about this new announcement....ear yo go....

"I see this is a win, win , may be win for all.....P&O won't have the worry about what was an unworkable tipping structure. They will increase prices but not excessively as it is a very competitive cruise market, the increases will more than likely be seen through increese in drinks, excursions etc.

It may be a win for crew as they will know what their basic salaries are going to be, hopefully fair one's. They will probably end up with better cash in hand tips, but like David say's tips won't be anywhere near the £7pppd....just as a guide....l would be looking at paying no more than £60 per couple for a two week cruise.

As for passenger's no more guilt trips for those who used auto tips ( my wife's choice not mine) but felt guilty for not leaving a cash in hand tip as well. For those who don't normally tip this move may just give them the incentive to do so.

It's been a long time coming but l think it will be the catalyst for more cruise lines to fall into line"

As for who and how l would spread my hard earned pension around .. £30 for cabin Steward, £20 for table waiters, and a tenner to whom l feel deserves it most .....probably me!

Hope that answers some of your questions?

Regards

Keith
Last edited by Onelife on 31 Aug 2018, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Poor devils my a*se :roll:

Anyway, I keep all my dabloons in my money belt ;)
Last edited by Stephen on 31 Aug 2018, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 11:07

You've been watching too much ...Pirates of the Caribbean........when was the last time you had your hands on gold coins?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Onelife wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 12:23

You've been watching too much ...Pirates of the Caribbean........when was the last time you had your hands on gold coins?

Christmas :D

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Stephen wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 12:25
Onelife wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 12:23

Christmas :D
Ah! Cadbury's chocolate coins :thumbup:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

CaroleF wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 10:37
There will definitely still be tipping threads - now there is no service charge (when that happens) do you tip anyway - how much do you tip - who do you tip etc. etc. etc.
Yes, I think people will still be talking about tipping.

As P & O say 'it's all taken care of', that says to me no tips are needed or expected, so I won't be tipping anybody after the change is made.
Gill

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hi Gill,

We all must make our own decisions as to how we proceed regarding tipping.since the change of policy.
You are absolutely right in that there will be no obligation to tip staff for services rendered, especially if as we are led to believe staff will be paid a basic salary which is intended to compensates for loss of tipping.

I don't however agree with you when you say tips won't be expected...l personally would be happy to endorse a non tipping philosophy but in reality this isn't going to happen because many will tip and therefore it will become "expected"

I along with many have long argued that tipping should be included in the price of the cruise , and whilst l might choke a little when donating an extra £60 to staff wages l can do this in the knowledge that this is a gesture that fits my idea of what a tip should be and not what l am told it should be.

Regards

Keith

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Gill W wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 16:41

As P & O say 'it's all taken care of', that says to me no tips are needed or expected, so I won't be tipping anybody after the change is made.
No, nor me. It will be built into the price for everyone and I won't be paying twice. Or the whole merry go round would start again. If somone offered truly exceptional service, over and above that which is reasonably expected, I might slip then a tenner. But that is it.

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 20:13

No, nor me. It will be built into the price for everyone and I won't be paying twice. Or the whole merry go round would start again. If somone offered truly exceptional service, over and above that which is reasonably expected, I might slip then a tenner. But that is it.
These are my thoughts as well.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 20:13

No tenners from me any more but I would make the greater effort to write a commendation for a deserving member of staff so that he/she could potentially win a P&O staff incentive award … should such a scheme continue to exist.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

What we will get instead will be price one upmanship where the boasters will be saying 'I paid x amount less than you for my cruise' so theoretically you have contributed to my inclusive gratuities.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

My bet is that those who used to tip under the old policy will continue to tip (albeit in much smaller amounts) because it's in our nature to do so......therfore don't you lot get telling me a load of porkypies. :)

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Onelife wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 09:57
My bet is that those who used to tip under the old policy will continue to tip (albeit in much smaller amounts) because it's in our nature to do so......therfore don't you lot get telling me a load of porkypies. :)
What are you saying? If I've read it right, you are implying that I don't tip under the current policy, as I have stated that I won't be tipping under the new policy.

Notwithstanding the smiley face, there''s an underlying 'dig' there.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

After my last cruise I wrote a long e-mail to Chris Edgington highlighting my concerns about drops in service standards, and also my concerns about the unfairness that the recent increases in auto grats could only be ascribed to a need for P&O to cover shortfalls because increasing numbers were cancelling them. I also indicated that I intended to gradually reduce my auto grats contribution to zero and then tip only if I experienced excellent service.
It looks as though they took head of my comments and I now have 3 cruises in which to reduce the auto grats to zero before it disappears entirely. Maybe I should apply to be a non executive director. :sarcasm: 8-)
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16
What are you saying? If I've read it right, you are implying that I don't tip under the current policy, as I have stated that I won't be tipping under the new policy.

I thought OL was responding to Stephen and not popping at anybody at all … especially not your good self.

:wave:

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Gill W wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16

No personal dig implied Gill just my personal opinion as to how "most" people will react to the new inclusive tipping scheme.

What l am saying is that those who used to tip under the old scheme, who now won't be required to tip under the new scheme will more than likely still tip extra because the British are lovely, genorous warmhearted people and it is in our nature to do so.

I haven't a clue whether or not you tipped under the old scheme but if you didn't then above more than likely won't apply to you or Stephen :lol:

As always keep :).......that was a dig :lol:

Regards

Keith
Last edited by Onelife on 01 Sep 2018, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I shall not be tipping under the new scheme.

I'll take them at their word, that tips are not expected.

We shall cancel auto tips on our cruise in November and I'll pay the Steward directly, at the end.
We are Freedom dining but don't actually eat in the MDR very much and rarely get what I'd call good service anyway, so won't bother tipping them.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

I haven't a clue whether or not you tipped under the old scheme but if you didn't then above more than likely won't apply to you or Stephen :lol:

......or Barney :thumbup:

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Onelife wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 14:57

......or Barney :thumbup:

:shock:
I've always fully complied with the P&O standard of gratuities, but I'm doubly chuffed that they have conceded to public demand.
The straw that broke the camel's back was the rises in very quick succession, in my opinion.

I was looking at an advert for 99 night Arcadia worldie and worked out that the tips would have come to nearly fourteen hundred quid. :?

If P&O marketing get it right, dropping the tips could give them a major advantage over others.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Onelife wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 12:17

What l am saying is that those who used to tip under the old scheme, who now won't be required to tip under the new scheme will more than likely still tip extra because the British are lovely, genorous warmhearted people and it is in our nature to do so.

I've always tipped at the suggested amount. When it was cash tips in the envelopes, I used to round up to the nearest £5 or £10 above, and when auto grats started, I just paid the amount that was debited to the onboard account. I'm going on Aurora in a couple of weeks, and will pay the auto gratuity as usual, but at £336 for the two of us, it's a steep cost in my view. But I'm happy to pay it, as it's currently the way things are done.

However, after May next year, P&O have clearly stated tips are no longer expected or required, so I won't tip. I'm just a bit surprised that some are planning to carry on routinely tipping in a non tipping environment.
Gill

Return to “P&O”