Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

P&O Summer 2020

Post by Gill W »

The summer itineraries for 2020 are now on Cruise Kings

https://www.cruisekings.co.uk/cruise-lines/po-cruises/

There's a couple of nice-ish cruises on Arcadia, but overall, very disappointing.

We are booked up to March 2020, and were thinking of having a break from cruising after that. There's nothing there to change my mind
Gill

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: P&O Summer 2020

Post by barney »

Looks underwhelming but I suppose there are only so many ports to go too. We may do the same Gill. There are so many places in the UK that we've never seen.
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

To be honest we have had some lovely holidays in smart hotels and using our property bond accommodation for much less than the cost of a cruise. We do still enjoy our cruises but P&O seem to be looking more and more towards larger ships catering for families so the options with them are becoming more and more limited. It may be time to look at other cruise lines but there is still so much to see and do in UK; plus I don't have that long drive down to Southampton!!!!

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm leaning towards Cunard or Saga for 2020, also seriously considering a visit to New York.

Won't say never but 2019 may be my final year with P and O.

Lindsey

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We enjoyed Cunard but their itineraries are all a bit 'samey'. I have also looked at Saga but they are very expensive and living up here we would probably have to pay more for their pick up/drop off service. At the moment we are looking at CMV and Fred to see if there is anything there which we fancy. Pity because we do like P&O.

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

I think we are bit cruised out after doing four on PO this year and one still to be done on Sapphire Princess. So far we only have one booked for 2019 and at present we are unable to find anything else to tempt us. I can't even be bothered to think about 2020 at this stage. Like barney and OBF we are also thinking of doing more in the UK. My sister has also suggested that we join her for a few days travelling by train to explore Paris and the surrounding area. However, if these ideas work out more expensive than our usual inside cabin on a PO ship then we will be back looking through the PO brochure.

Maureen

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We think we have done P&O to death and especially so now Adonia is not an option. We have been disappointed with the schedules for some time now. Not the fault of P&O, it is us because we aim to go to different places all the time. Insurance issues preclude the more exotic destinations so I believe we will fall back on UK destinations that gave us a buzz in the past … The Portmeirion Hotel in, you guessed it, for example.

The difficulty is however that we have also travelled the UK from top to bottom and side to side so maybe we will just stay at home.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

After our cruise on Azura 817 not a good experience for either of us as after 4 days the wife went down with food poisoning and was confined to our cabin 3 days later I went down with the same and was also confined to the cabin for 3 days on the 3 day I was getting worse not better so the medical
dept decided to off load me calling an ambulance at 4.20 I was taken of at 4.45 and taken to the royal hospital Belfast were I was kept in for 5 days and told I had acute gastroenteritis any way we eventualy got home ok and I must thank Direct line insurance who paid up within 8 days of us arriving home and as we were advised by our doctor to cancel a cruise we had booked on Ventura for October and they paid us for this one a week later.
any way there were lots of other things that went wrong as well so we will not be cruising again and will have our holidays looking round the UK
graham

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Also looks a bit underwhelming to us as well, we now only sail round trip from Southampton, and prefer the newer bigger ships which cater for wheelchair passengers far better than the smaller older ships, that makes P&O the major player, especially out of the summer season.
We are not really interested in a 7 night Fjords cruise, so that eliminates Iona, and there seem to be far fewer Med cruises on the big 3 that do not stop at Rome or Florence, and Civitavecchia and Livorno are not particularly touristy or attractive, and we seem to have done the Canaries to death.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The thing that strikes me most about the Summer 2020 itineraries is that they appear to be moving to the American model where you have one ship doing one area repeatedly - I don't know what, if anything, the benefit is of doing that, but it must get a bit monotonous for the crew.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 08:46
The thing that strikes me most about the Summer 2020 itineraries is that they appear to be moving to the American model where you have one ship doing one area repeatedly - I don't know what, if anything, the benefit is of doing that, but it must get a bit monotonous for the crew.
Possibly it secures them a more favourable berth, if they have more regular stops.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 09:39
Possibly it secures them a more favourable berth, if they have more regular stops.
That's probably true, but reduces possibilities for a nice back to back.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Actually more frustrating, if you want to do the Fjords in Summer 2020 Iona is your only choice. Really don't like that model and hope it changes by 2022 when we plan to take our grandchildren there.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

I have noticed that as well. Not happy at all by that as we like to do back to backs. Iona is out as they are all repeats so no chance of a back to back. And am not driving down 330 miles for 7 nights.

Arcadia and Aurora seem to be the ones with the better itineraries awith a few new ports and not acting like a bus service.

blodwyn
Cadet
Cadet

Post by blodwyn »

Arcadia is our favourite ship-very pleased with the itinery in October to the Eastern Med and price less than we thought!

London Cruiser
Cadet
Cadet

Post by London Cruiser »

Can I ask a question regarding priority booking for Goldies, if we book a cruise that includes our daughter, son in law and Grandkids as one booking do they get the priority booking aswell or would it just be the Goldies cabin? like me and the wife if that makes sense
But yes the itineraries are pretty much a regular bus route

Return to “P&O”