Single Travellers on Thompson cruises

Topics for those cruising on their own

Topic author
Somergirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Single Travellers on Thompson cruises

Post by Somergirl »

Can anyone give me any information as to what Thompsons are like for the single cruiser. I have only been with P&O so far but I am considering a fly cruise for the different ports.

Do they have a coffee get together or something similar?

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Single Travellers on Thompson cruises

Post by davecttr »

Somergirl wrote:
Can anyone give me any information as to what Thompsons are like for the single cruiser. I have only been with P&O so far but I am considering a fly cruise for the different ports.

Do they have a coffee get together or something similar?
Yes, they have a coffee get together and other things as well depending on ship and itinery. On one cruise to Iceland we had hosted breakfast, lunch and dinner. All ships have open dining which some solo cruisers don't like as you have no fixed table to share.

Thomson have reasonable single supplements as well, approx 30%, however there is a downside. Their ships all have single cabins and these may be in noisy/vibration prone areas of the ship near the engines. My cabin on Spirit last year resembled the inside of a cement mixer on a couple of nights!. IMO currently Majesty has the best single cabins as it is reported (I have cruised on her) that all the inside singles are nice and quiet being located midships or forward. My ranking of Thomson ships for single cabins is, best first:

Majesty
Dream - maybe but I am not going to spend thousands to find out
Celebration
Spirit

ps - for a fly cruise in 2014 i will probably try Ventura!

Topic author
Somergirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Single Travellers on Thompson cruises

Post by Somergirl »

Thank you for the excellent info. I would be concerned about a noisy cabin, as I dont always sleep well. I would really prefer to stick with P&O but I dont find the ports very inspiring on the Ventura fly cruises. I would like to go to some of the Greek islands that I havent already visited. I am going to Venice, Dubrovnick and Corfu this year on Azura. I must admit I do really prefer set dining as I like to get to know my table companions. Oh well back to browsing the internet and brochures. I really like some of the itineries Adonia is doing but not sure if it is the ship for me, I like Azura and Ventura so it might be a bit small.and also expensive. Maybe I should contact P&O and ask if there is a chance of a ships visit.

Return to “Cruising for Single Travellers”