APT and the Mekong River

Anything to do with river cruising

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

APT and the Mekong River

Post by Solent Richard »

In November my wife and I completed a Mekong River cruise as part of a longer package put together by travel company APT.

We sailed from Saigon as far as Siem Reap where we had a three day extension to explore the Angkor Archeological Park.

APT certainly take their guests deep into the cultural side of these two countries and no one can fail to get an appreciation of what life is like in both Cambodia and Vietnam from, shall we say, behind the scenes.

Their organisation and attention to detail is second to none and the enthusiasm of their staff, at every level, was exemplary.

The full programme that we undertook doesn’t come cheap but, as the saying goes, “you do get what you pay for”. When one considers the levels of accommodation, the inclusive excursions, drinks and gratuities, this proved all-round great value for money

Of the 100 passengers onboard Amalotus for the Mekong River part of the journey there were a dozen from the UK, the vast majority being Australians. Prior to joining Amalotus the tour group numbered 37 of which just 6 were British

A full review of the Mekong journey, with many photographs of both the Amalotus and the various stops we made, can be found on my blog site...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... er-cruise/

The final question of course is “would we use APT again”. The simple answer is yes: we have already booked to do the Irrawaddy with them from Yangon (Rangoon) to Mandalay.

Topic author
Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: APT and the Mekong River

Post by Solent Richard »

Perhaps this next link should be under ports of call but as it is inextricably linked to the APT package mentioned in the previous post I'll double it up.

After the actual river cruise along The Mekong the jewel in the crown was a three day extension in the Cambodian town of Siem Reap.

Siem Reap is of course the administrative centre for the Angkor Archeological Park sites and itself is a fun place to visit.

Angkor Wat is one of the most photographed temples n the world and in particular the sunrise over this iconic heritage site attracts thousands daily...

I have just published a full review covering Siem Reap and the three major temple sites. There are over 50 photographs and I have hopefully described why it is so important to have a quality guide or dedicated excursion when doing this particular visit.

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... way-to-do/

I'd be delighted to answer any questions on either the Amalotus or the Angkor visit which I and my APT 'cronies' thoroughly enjoyed.

Return to “River Cruising”