Britannia dress codes

Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Britannia dress codes

Post by bassman67 »

Now I can access my Cruise Personaliser, it's a liitle disturbing to see that there will be 10 "evening casual" nights and 1 Formal Night on a 14 day cruise. It begs the question of what the other 3 nights will be, but only one Formal in 14 nights is a real departure from the usual P&O format, in my opinion. Is this part of the "dumbing down" that has worried customers over the last few years? Whatever the code on my 50th anniversary night, we'll be "dressed to the nines"!

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Re: Britannia dress codes

Post by JenniC »

bassman67 wrote:
Now I can access my Cruise Personaliser, it's a liitle disturbing to see that there will be 10 "evening casual" nights and 1 Formal Night on a 14 day cruise. It begs the question of what the other 3 nights will be, but only one Formal in 14 nights is a real departure from the usual P&O format, in my opinion. Is this part of the "dumbing down" that has worried customers over the last few years? Whatever the code on my 50th anniversary night, we'll be "dressed to the nines"!
That is worrying as we love the formal nights - what cruise are you on? We are on the Christmas 2015 cruise...
Jenni

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

We're on B523, around the Med, in Oct 2015.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We are on B504 but as yet there is no dress code shown on the CP.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

This is what mine says
Britannia

After unhurried days on board or adventurous days ashore, evenings at sea are always an occasion to look forward to. Just as every day brings something a little different so too does every evening, and to set the mood the dress code changes from night to night.

Evening Casual

Ladies: casual separates or dresses

Men: open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts). A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory

Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits

On a typical 14-night cruise on Britannia there are normally ten Evening Casual nights. This can include a 60s, 70s and or tropical evening on appropriate itineraries.

Black Tie

Ladies: glamorous cocktail dresses and gowns or a smart trouser suit

Men: a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative

As a rule, there is normally one formal black and white night per cruise.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Like Jenni I will be disappointed if there is only one formal night - love the dressing up - oh well I wear pretty much what I like anyway :roll:
Janis

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Jan Rosser wrote:
Like Jenni I will be disappointed if there is only one formal night - love the dressing up - oh well I wear pretty much what I like anyway :roll:
That is a bit of a surprise to me. I've made it plain many times that I'm not a fan of formal but to go to the trouble of carting all the mothballed stock on board for just one evening seems a bit of a palaver and I can understand the disappointment of those who would like more. Perhaps they could add an 'optional posh' evening to the schedule? I'm glad to see the end of the jackety evenings and maybe this can be spread to other ships. All academic to me as far as Britannia is concerned :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

My personaliser says 4 formal and 10 casual, which is the same as Oceana & Ventura.

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
My personaliser says 4 formal and 10 casual, which is the same as Oceana & Ventura.
I hope yours is more accurate than mine!

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

bassman67 wrote:
This is what mine says
Britannia

After unhurried days on board or adventurous days ashore, evenings at sea are always an occasion to look forward to. Just as every day brings something a little different so too does every evening, and to set the mood the dress code changes from night to night.

Evening Casual

Men: open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts). A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory

On a typical 14-night cruise on Britannia there are normally ten Evening Casual nights. This can include a 60s, 70s and or tropical evening on appropriate itineraries.

Black Tie

Men: a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative

Ah now I get it.. There are 10 evening casual nights and 4 formal nights of which one is a Black and White night.... It is the way it has been written that has caused the confusion methinks :roll:
Jenni

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Bleeding heck

I have serious "probs" on the pesky dressing up nights with my eye liners and lipeee :lol:

Luboo all :wave:

The Not So Posh Giant of Cerne Abass
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Just been on my cruise personaliser for the Christmas cruise on Britannia and I read it as 10 casual and then it goes on to say what to wear on formal nights with one of them being black and white so deduce from that the other three nights are formal too. May be I'm reading what I want to read :roll:

See you've re-read it now Bassman and agree with my way of thinking :thumbup:
Janis

Topic author
bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

JenniC wrote:
bassman67 wrote:
This is what mine says
Britannia

Evening Casual

Black Tie

Ah now I get it.. There are 10 evening casual nights and 4 formal nights of which one is a Black and White night.... It is the way it has been written that has caused the confusion methinks :roll:
I think ( and hope) you're right

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Jan Rosser wrote:
Just been on my cruise personaliser for the Christmas cruise on Britannia and I read it as 10 casual and then it goes on to say what to wear on formal nights with one of them being black and white so deduce from that the other three nights are formal too. May be I'm reading what I want to read :roll:

See you've re-read it now Bassman and agree with my way of thinking :thumbup:
I read it like that too Jan.. Great minds and all that :thumbup:
Jenni

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

bassman67 wrote:
This is what mine says
Britannia

Evening Casual

Black Tie

That is correct one Black and White night. It should of course go on to say 3 other formals.

BTW we are on B523 as well.

Happy Cruising

Dai

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I assume that the formal nights will still be optional and not compulsory and one can opt out, should one wish?
Nihil Obstat

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Dark Knight wrote:
I assume that the formal nights will still be optional and not compulsory and one can opt out, should one wish?
Of course!

As long as you are prepared to miss out on going in the bits of the ship where the formal stuff is ;)

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Dave
I can live with that , should the mood take us
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Dark Knight wrote:
Dave
I can live with that , should the mood take us
You'll be okay. Britannia's formal nights are not enforced in any of the bars on sleazy cruise.

Or are you weakening already?

Yours affectionately
Your cruise snob ten bob millionaire poster boy. :crazy:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Poster Boy
I would cruise on PandO again BUT only if the price was right and by that I mean a last minute bargain for next to nowt
It is not that I object to formal nights per se, just the perception that they make a cruise something special, only my opinion and not a rant :P
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Since there are fewer opportunities to get dressed up, even in a suit nowadays, it does make a cruise special. However it has nothing to do with snobbery. I am going on Azura shortly and looking forward to their formal nights when people from all walks of life and of all ages will be dressed in their finery. The ship does take on a different feel. Likewise smart casual evenings and the themed evenings provide a different 'ambiance'. Perhaps for me it's the variance in dress codes which I enjoy since I am equally at home out on the fells up to my ankles in mud!!!

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

OBF
I am the total opposite, I wear a suit nearly everyday for work and attend a few black tie events every year, so when I am on holiday, I prefer to dress casually, so as not to be dressed for work
it is nothing to do with inverted snobbery , just my prefference for my holiday, which I have paid for
I disagree that clothes make the ambience, people do and it is the people that matter not the clothes
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I agree with you 100% about people creating an ambiance, but that is only a part of the equation.

My wife's hairdresser hails from Manchester and, being a young lady she is accustomed to Manchester's nightlife. She says up here they string a few fairy lights up and serve warm beer and call it a night club. Similarly you need to dress up the venue and the 'clientele' need to play their part in creating the atmosphere (similar to doormen preventing admission to those in football tops and trainers etc). As I see it the ambiance is created by three factors - venue, dress code and people.

(We're never going to agree, are we?) :thumbup: :clap:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

we are 2/3 of the way there
Venue and people
clothes dont make much difference in my opinion, you can still have muppets and chavs dressed up in a tux and they will still be a muppet or a chav
as the old adage goes you cannot polish a t**d ,only roll it in glitter and hope some of it sticks :lol:
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dark Knight wrote:
OBF
I am the total opposite, I wear a suit nearly everyday for work and attend a few black tie events every year, so when I am on holiday, I prefer to dress casually, so as not to be dressed for work
it is nothing to do with inverted snobbery , just my prefference for my holiday, which I have paid for
I disagree that clothes make the ambience, people do and it is the people that matter not the clothes
Thee and me, DK, thee and me.

Return to “About Britannia”