Post by Dark Knight »

we are a repressed minority QBob, but we stand by our principles :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Britannia dress codes

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

But since neither of you are likely to be on the Britannia Maiden, 1) because there are unlikely to be any bargain basement offers and 2) because there's no wrap round Promenade deck, my holiday and life won't be ruined by the sight of you two wearing your string vests at dinner!!!!

So we're all happy then. :thumbup: :crazy:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

never say never, me old 10 bob millionaire :D
when they can't fill it and they are offering me the Maiden for half what you paid, I will be there in me shorts and string vest, with a knotted hanky on me head for formal night, just you wait and see :sarcasm:
Nihil Obstat

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

oldbluefox wrote:
I agree with you 100% about people creating an ambiance, but that is only a part of the equation.

My wife's hairdresser hails from Manchester and, being a young lady she is accustomed to Manchester's nightlife. She says up here they string a few fairy lights up and serve warm beer and call it a night club. Similarly you need to dress up the venue and the 'clientele' need to play their part in creating the atmosphere (similar to doormen preventing admission to those in football tops and trainers etc). As I see it the ambiance is created by three factors - venue, dress code and people.
Spot on. obf. :thumbup: :clap:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:
OBF
I am the total opposite, I wear a suit nearly everyday for work and attend a few black tie events every year, so when I am on holiday, I prefer to dress casually, so as not to be dressed for work
it is nothing to do with inverted snobbery , just my prefference for my holiday, which I have paid for
I disagree that clothes make the ambience, people do and it is the people that matter not the clothes
Thee and me, DK, thee and me.
I'll get thee a rowing boat for you two.

Now then - clothes and ambiance.................... Of course dress code matters. It wouldn't be much of a fancy dress party if nobody dressed up for it. That's all the dress code is but it helps to set the tone for the evening whether it be formal, smart casual or whatever. Surely even DK can't dispute that!!! Give in, man and leave QB to row the boat on his own!! :lol:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Foxy
I have found over the years that Formal can in fact have the opposite effect and people wearing black tie adopt a more formal attitiude to the event, thus negating any ambience created by , as you put it, going out in fancy dress :P
I have dressed up on formal night aboard ship and found it made sod all difference to my enjoyment of the evening, I have also found that the same people are more relaxed on casual nights rather than formal nights
why, because people read more into formal night than there actually is and many feel uncomfotable wearing what is for them, far removed from the norm, so they appear uncomfotable and ill at ease
I am sure people who have done lots of cruises etc would not appreciate this but the number of questions about formal night and what to wear says different
Viva La difference :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Good try DK but I remain to be convinced so I will be merrily packing my bow ties, my posh white shirts and my cufflinks and relishing the idea of dressing up on my forthcoming cruise. :wave:

Watch out Azura cos 'Posh Fox of the Prem' is about to board!!! :lol:

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

I’m at a loss here o dark one.

Do you mean to tell me that you don’t dress for dinner every evening at home? :o

And you implied that we “Scottish hangers on”, as you categorised us in an earlier topic post, were nothing but lesser mortals. :oops:

The question is not, do I put on a dinner jacket? but which one should I put on!! :wave:
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

ITWA Travel Writer wrote:
I’m at a loss here o dark one.

Do you mean to tell me that you don’t dress for dinner every evening at home? :o

And you implied that we “Scottish hangers on”, as you categorised us in an earlier topic post, were nothing but lesser mortals. :oops:

The question is not, do I put on a dinner jacket? but which one should I put on!! :wave:
Eee, is it that cold oop north that you have to wear a jacket?

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Quizzical Bob wrote:
God protect me from those who would dine without a jacket. How common!! :shock:

Time for a lesson on etiquette:

After 6pm you are governed by convention. The occasion will determine the mode of gentlemen’s dress. There are only two conventions according to my butler, either a white tie for formal dress occasions. This is the top hat and tails scenario. Or the less formal black tie.

As regards the black tie convention, depending on the local, the climate and the temperature either a black dinner jacket or a white dinner jacket may be worn.

The white dinner jacket's origin on cruises and at tropical resorts speaks to its specific role as a less formal alternative to traditional black tie. It is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in other countries during a hot summer season, typically at open-air social gatherings such as country club dances and yacht club parties.

However, if a man is particularly serious about formal convention, then a white jacket should never be worn in the city “unless one has a napkin over his arm or a saxophone up to his lips”.

So if I meet you in the Caribbean, I would expect you to be adorned with a white dinner jacket and black tie. Any other colour of tie will inevitably have someone ask you for the wine list.

If per chance the reader is of the jellied eel’s fraternity and thinks that you require a passport to venture above the Watford gap, then I would point out that up north, in modern Scotland, our castles do now have central heating.
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Before anyone else asks - John are you by any chance related to Derek Kane :?: :lol:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I'm not certain which of DK and John the travel writer make the most outlandish comments, both seem to be better suited to Fullers earth rather than this Earth. ;) :lol: 8-)
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

ITWA Travel Writer wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
God protect me from those who would dine without a jacket. How common!! :shock:

Time for a lesson on etiquette:

After 6pm you are governed by convention. The occasion will determine the mode of gentlemen’s dress. There are only two conventions according to my butler, either a white tie for formal dress occasions. This is the top hat and tails scenario. Or the less formal black tie.

As regards the black tie convention, depending on the local, the climate and the temperature either a black dinner jacket or a white dinner jacket may be worn.

The white dinner jacket's origin on cruises and at tropical resorts speaks to its specific role as a less formal alternative to traditional black tie. It is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in other countries during a hot summer season, typically at open-air social gatherings such as country club dances and yacht club parties.

However, if a man is particularly serious about formal convention, then a white jacket should never be worn in the city “unless one has a napkin over his arm or a saxophone up to his lips”.

So if I meet you in the Caribbean, I would expect you to be adorned with a white dinner jacket and black tie. Any other colour of tie will inevitably have someone ask you for the wine list.

If per chance the reader is of the jellied eel’s fraternity and thinks that you require a passport to venture above the Watford gap, then I would point out that up north, in modern Scotland, our castles do now have central heating.
Some people are slaves to fashion and convention, others lead the way and set the fashion ;). Down south here on the costa tropicala we don't call them jackets, they're overcoats!

I read about the history of the north once, don't they all sit round a fire in the middle of a round hut telling each other tales of derringer-do? That's why they call it central heating :)

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

david63 wrote:
Before anyone else asks - John are you by any chance related to Derek Kane :?: :lol:
OMG I thought, the monocled one has resurfaced.

ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

david63 wrote:
I realise that I am probably leading myself into ridicule by asking this, but who is or was ‘Derek Kane’?
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Derek Kane a.k.a. The Monocled Mutineer (check out some of his posts)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

DK was a bit of a legend on the old P&O forum John.

Very funny at times but could start a fight in an empty room.

His posts generally made me chuckle until he got on to the subject of smoking. Gosh! right wing or what?
Hanging's too good for 'em etc.

In a weird way, I kind of miss his posts.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

barney wrote:

His posts generally made me chuckle until he got on to the subject of smoking. Gosh! right wing or what?

Don't forget dress codes and no children should be allowed in the bars Barney :lol: :lol:
Jo

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Dancing Queen wrote:
barney wrote:

Don't forget dress codes and no children should be allowed in the bars Barney :lol: :lol:
Or sunbed hogging.

Oh no. I forgot. I got into a little spat with DK (Kane, not Batty) because he was a self-confessed sunbed hogger. Despite all his other views about the "proper" way to behave reckoned it was okay to leave his paperback getting a tan while he mooched off for an hour or so for lunch.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

oldbluefox wrote:
Good try DK but I remain to be convinced so I will be merrily packing my bow ties, my posh white shirts and my cufflinks and relishing the idea of dressing up on my forthcoming cruise. :wave:

Watch out Azura cos 'Posh Fox of the Prem' is about to board!!! :lol:
With you entirely on that one Foxy.

The dressing up I mean.

Sadly won't be with you on Azura. :crazy:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Travel bloke, you lot wear skirts with no knickers on, so you are in no position to talk about fashion or clothing etiquette :D , but I do agree about the white DJ's only for wine waiters and band members
as for the archaic ritual of dressing up in black tie, it is nothing more than poor people, trying to emulate their social superiors, which is why you see a plethora of cheap nylon DJ's encasing sweaty ,fat, old men, on cruises.

there is no reason for formal wear on a cruise other than to try to make said cruise seem more upmarket than it actually is and try to fob off the cruise as traditional or something more glamorous than it really is, so for my part I maintain my stance and will not pander to the social climbing aspirations of a mass market cruise line
funnily enough, the "real " high end lines have done away with fancy dress and take a more modern approach to what to wear on holiday, shame some cruise lines are hanging on to the old myth that dressing up equals posh.... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Nihil Obstat

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I do tend to understand your viewpoint on this topic DK but as usual methinks thou dost protest too much, which makes me wonder why.
For myself I used to wear a dark suit for formal nights, an old one I should add, but after being cajoled by my good wife I eventually gave in and bought a DJ in a special Debenhams sale. Since then I hate to admit it but I do feel a bit special when I wear my DJ, and yes I know that smacks of social climbing but I really see no major problem in that.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

because I can and it is my right to do so :D
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

By the same token does walking around with your shirt hanging out make you look 'cool'?

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I wouldn't know, I don't dress like that :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

Return to “About Britannia”