Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Iceland, Greenland, Arctic Circle

Post by Dark Knight »

We are looking at hols for next year
we are considering the North Cape and Arctic circle for our next cruise
has anyone done this type of cruise and has anyone any advice

first person to say take a coat or wrap up warm etc will be reported as being a muppet :yawn:
Nihil Obstat

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Iceland, Greenland, Artic Circle

Post by wolfie »

Ask no further DN.

We did a cruise on Aurora to Greenland, Iceland and the fjords.

We did take warm clothing but in Greenland it was nowhere near the average temperture of 3 or 4 degrees; it was a balmy 12 degrees and we sat on our balcony in short sleeves enjoying the magnificent scenery after a foray ashore.

What we both did not expect to see were huge icebergs. The approach to our ports of call in Greenland was incredible. The sailaway form Qaqortoq down a fjord was memorable with the sun shining on the snow topped mountains and Nuuk was no less memorable; whales spouting and doing tail flips on our approach to Nuuk whilst the scenery was all jagged mountains.

On the other hand, there is absolutely nothing there except for the scenery, no shore excursions on our cruise, as there had been on previous cruises to this part of the world, BUT, neither of us wold have missed the opportunity just to wander around, and wonder at how people live in such an inhospitable place.

The midnight sun, with the sea like molten lava and the rest of the sky a beautiful pink and black, (it never got completely dark), the glaciers that took ages to cruise past, it was a time of many firsts, which we may not repeat but will never forget.

Unfortunately Aurora suffered some engine problems after this so our visit to Iceland was rather curtailed and disappointing, as we couldn't do the tour that we had booked to the ice fields; the weather too was less than perfect, cold and very wet. Our next port of call was Olden and , if this is on the itinerary that you are considering then you must get up to a good vantage point for the run up the fjord, it's magical, as was our RIB tour here, all kitted out in life preservation suits, (we do look very elegant). Even a balcony does not allow you the full perspective of a view of both sides of the cruise up the fjord, so, I sat in the Crows Nest from around 6.30am and it was well worth the early start.

Bergen was as wet as it could be but worth the soaking just to walk around the Bryggen and the fish and chips we had for lunch in the fish market!! Stavanger, very pretty and lovely to walk around, especially the area where the ship docks.

This cruise started off with calls at Cobh and Dublin, both worth a visit if you have not been there before.

Go for it.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Iceland, Greenland, Arctic Circle

Post by wolfie »

Must be a forum first, 32 minutes from question to answer, and it took me ages to type out all that, so, far less then 32 minutes!!!!

Hope you are suitably impressed!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

We did Ireland and the Fjords with Iceland.

Iceland is different to most places that you will cruise to, it is as though you are scratching at the Earth's surface as indeed you will be as the place is awash with volcanoes, waterfalls, hot lagoons, sulphur springs and midges although we didn't see a single one in July. Perhaps at 8 degrees it was too cold for them to come out and annoy people.

Reykjavik is a City but unlike any other in so many ways, we wished to see it and how the people lived, their homes, museums and shops. In Akureyri we booked P&O's ' Jewells of the North ', an amazing close up of nature at its rawest.

Should you go ..... oh yes :wtf:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

We did the Fjords in 07
but I wanted to go further north, I have seena n itinerary which does:
Flam
Alesund
Bergen
Lerwick
Torshavn
Akureyki
Isafjord
Reykjavik
for next year at £1370 for 13 nights with a Uk departure within easy reach
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Put a tick in the box for Flam and book a full day trip that includes the railway

Alesund and Bergen are both great places to visit and both are very easy DIY without going anywhere if that is your wish.

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Moby
done the Fjords destinations but it would be a chance to doother trips

but the Iceland ports sound very interesting and I hope we can see whales and ice bergs

Wolfie
Great review thanks
Nihil Obstat

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

We went out to Greenland and although the ports were small they were fascinating in their own way One example was the chapels where bodies were stored during the winter because the ground is too frozen to bury them. It was also fascinating to witness the number and size of the icebergs. Sadly we didn't see any whales though, despite some serious searching from the comfort of The Crow's Nest.

Iceland was absolutely fascinating with its beautiful waterfalls, lava fields, thermal power plants and geysers. It is well worth the excursion cost to get up close to the geysers, to see and even to smell them.

This is a cruise which was really memorable for seeing something totally different.

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

looking at the cost and itinerary, we may well be putting a deposit down soon
also we might go for a balcony on this one , for the sights
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Dark Knight wrote:
... we might go for a balcony on this one, for the sights
Will you book Port or Starboard ? :think:

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

at the risk of sounding silly, probably one at the back of the ship if available

why?
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A perfect choice but you would usually need to be an early bird to get one on the stern :thumbup:

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

it's not till 2014 but we may book soon or at least put a deposit on it
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Do an Online booking asap, upto Step 4, to see what the cabin availability is like 8-)

Else place a ' Reserve '.

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Moby
it's not on line yet ,only in the brochure, might have to sweet talk Lady D for this one, as we have to pay for this years in 6 weeks gulp !!
Nihil Obstat

Flora8
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Flora8 »

I did this in 2010 and had a balcony with RCI [upgrade ] I still preferred out on the deck where they came round and served us with hot choc . and the company and excitement when we saw a whale andthe first Glazier was fantastic !! And people offering to take photo's of one another --that feeling will live with me for a long time !
I am sure you will love it --I hope so !! worth every penny [ if this helps the other half make up her mind !!

in the event of being Muppet !! wear plenty of layers !! as in Iceland [ not the Supermarket ] I have got photo's of people sitting on the top deck sunbathing , in the afternoon --but on our trip in the morning --I had thermals on --it was so cold --at least with layers you can peel them off as required !

regards Flora x

Go cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Go cruising »

We have booked on Oriana 1st March 2014..... In search of the northern lights. Has anyone been up here during the winter before?

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Did a cruise out of Southampton to New York on a Princess ship via Dublin, Cobh, Faroe Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland and it was memorable for so many reasons - my late husband watched England win the Ashes on the deck screen along with many others and that sticks out in my mind. I have never been anywhere so peaceful as Greenland sailing through the icebergs or so cold I might add - we spent most of our time on the deck then went in for a hot drink but it was well worth it. Lots of Americans were sailing home and were so ill-equipped for the weather it was unbelievable - they came from the mid-west and couldn't have done much research on where they were going - tshirts and flip flips in Greenland - mad! I've also done the fjords and sailed all the way to the Arctic circle - we got off at Spitsbergen via a very rough tender crossing from Arcadia! They gave us all a certificate to say we had crossed into the Arctic Circle so I'd say if you've never done anything like it then go for it I'm sure you'll have a fab time.
Janis

RandyFO
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by RandyFO »

Hello everyone, I have been several times in the expeditions to the North Pole and the Arctic ... advert removed ...

I can give some advice. The first tip, remember to always keep your safety. First of all, I recommend a detailed study of the reliability of your ship. Read reviews about your captain. In addition, I advise you to dress warmly, as frostbitten limbs easy.

Return to “Rest of the World”