Cancelled cruise

Discussions about anything related to Britannia

Topic author
ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Cancelled cruise

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

Don't panic - it's me that's cancelled, not P&O!
After three years we thought it was about time to go back to the Caribbean - we usually go every two, but the birth of two grandchildren within 12 days of each other and me being birth partner for both put a stop to it. We thought it would be ideal to sample Britannia - we hadn't heard anything negative about her, and she would be different from other ships in the fleet. So we booked when the special offer of £100 deposit came up and were delighted when an opportunity to do a ship visit on her came up for August.
To say we were disappointed would be an understatement. We liked the outside facilities and the buffet area - what a good idea to have sinks for hand washing close by! But we found the cabins and the balconies in particular to be small. The seats in the theatre were very narrow - I'm not huge, but not skinny either, but would be uncomfortable sitting in one for an hour or so. My husband sat at the back during the tour, from where he could not see the stage at all. It was a surprise not to be able to see the sea from our table in the main dining room. This is apparently done to make the restaurant appear more intimate due to its size, but just had the affect of making me feel claustrophobic, which I suffer from, so that leads me to the lifts.....no I won't go there.
I found the décor very depressing -I hate browns and greens anyway and just could not bring myself to spend a couple of weeks in this dull, dreary colour scheme. After seeing stunning pictures of the atrium we found the real thing an anti-climax. The tour guide said, "this is where you are all supposed to say wow!" and we all just looked at each other.
For a while we thought we would still go - you can't really judge a ship unless you live on her for a while, after all. But as it got closer to the balance due date we began to get fidgety. So we've cancelled and rebooked on Azura for very little more, in a perfectly situated cabin on C deck with the extended balcony, got first sitting instead of the freedom dining that we had, and dislike, on Britannia, two ports we haven't been to before, and £700 OBC. Bargain! Now, at last, we are looking forward to our holiday :)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Cancelled cruise

Post by oldbluefox »

And here's me wearing my keypad out looking for the New Topic button on Britannia!!! :lol: :lol:
There's no point going ahead with a holiday you have misgivings about. If you're not happy with it now it's doubtful you will enjoy it later. Whilst many really do like Britannia it's not everybody's cup of tea. As it happens you have cancelled and already feel excited about your new cruise. Result!!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Anne, We sailed on Britannia in April and I have to confess that I tend to agree with all your comments about her, however we did enjoy our cruise and will be sailing on her again next August with our Son and his family.
But we do have an accessible cabin which gives us 50% more space both inside and on the balcony, so the more compact cabins did not really trouble us.
I can't say that I noticed the lack of a sea view in the MDR, but we did think that the window design in the Crows nest meant that you could only see out clearly when looking straight out of the windows, the huge pillars of the frames almost completely blocking any view when looking across the room, and the theatre reminded me of one of the new cheap and tacky multi screen cinemas, except that the seating was much narrower and far less comfortable.
But like you we really liked the upper deck areas, especially the serenity pool, and the new modular unit seating is ideal for passengers who cannot get down onto a sunbed.
But I suspect that you have made the right choice with a C deck balcony cabin on Azura.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Each to our own and we loved Britannia. Not our favourite ship but we'd certainly go back. But life's too short and if there's something you know you'd prefer go for it and enjoy.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Each to our own and we loved Britannia. Not our favourite ship but we'd certainly go back. But life's too short and if there's something you know you'd prefer go for it and enjoy.
Like you melvyn and Trish, we had a great time on Britannia, more so as it was the Maiden cruise and we got to meet you.

As you say though, life's too short and there are still so many ships to try. We have four new ones scheduled before next May.

Exciting times but I'd never say never to going back on Britannia, particularly for a Caribbean cruise.

That Sunset Bar is just made for the Caribbean.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I don't think P&O can win really.

If they'd decorated the atrium gold and diamanté there'd be another group of people you wouldn't have liked the glitz.

I was also on the Maiden, and rather liked the calm colour scheme of the atrium area

Britannia isn't perfect, but I thought she was a very nice ship and I'd sail again, if the itinerary was right.
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We also liked Britannia - and we had defected from P&O several years ago. But not everybody likes everything and there is something out there for us all.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

That's the beauty of cruising Gill. Unless you don't like cruising full stop, there's something out there to suit every taste. Just think of the chaos on booking day if we all wanted to book the same thing!

And then there'd be the fight for sunbeds......

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

I loved Britannia too and the colour scheme appealed to me. I would hate a glitzy atrium and not keen on loads of bright colours, but of course we all differ. Looking forward to going on the Christmas cruise with my Hubbie and the loveley Janis Rosser.....
Jenni

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

JenniC wrote:
I loved Britannia too and the colour scheme appealed to me. I would hate a glitzy atrium and not keen on loads of bright colours, but of course we all differ. Looking forward to going on the Christmas cruise with my Hubbie and the loveley Janis Rosser.....
.... when I imagine drink will be taken. It's the devil's work.....

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
JenniC wrote:
.... when I imagine drink will be taken. It's the devil's work.....
I hope P&O have plentiful supplies of champagne and cassis in for our Christmas cruise - loves a Kir Royale moi (so does Jenni Modplod ;) ) - such a hard life :lolno:
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I'm sure they monitor forums such as this and will ensure they take on extra supplies. :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

...or ban anyone from west of the Severn from boarding !!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

A safer plan. Let's hope they're not buying the inclusive drinks package. They'll bankrupt Carnival

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I hear P&O are relaxing the rules and letting them take their own meths on board !!

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

qbman1 wrote:
Flying from Manchester Cubie :thumbup:
Janis

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Have they got they new broomstick runway up and running then ?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Jan Rosser wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
You've still got the get through border control on the Severn bridge. :sarcasm:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Jan Rosser wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
You've still got the get through border control on the Severn bridge. :sarcasm:
I'll be crossing the "border" just north of Monmouth Merv - free there to leave and return and more direct :thumbup:
Janis

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Still got to get past the razor wire and gun turrets though

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Still got to get past the razor wire and gun turrets though
:lolno: :thumbup: :crazy:
Janis

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The best escape route from South Wales oop t' norf is via Llandeilo-ish to Shrewsbury, tis possibly one of the most scenic drives in the Country.

Did it many times :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Manoverboard wrote:
The best escape route from South Wales oop t' norf is via Llandeilo-ish to Shrewsbury, tis possibly one of the most scenic drives in the Country.

Wrong part of South Wales Moby - I'm in the south-east valleys - as I drive home from visiting family oop north the best sign is just before Monmouth - it simply says Welcome to Wales - gets me every time :cry:
Janis

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Jan Rosser wrote:

Wrong part of South Wales Moby - I'm in the south-east valleys - as I drive home from visiting family oop north the best sign is just before Monmouth - it simply says Welcome to Wales - gets me every time :cry:
That’s the way we used to drive down too and what a beautiful sight as you drive down the hill and pass the sign. I always felt the same as you Jan. :) These days we get off the boat stop off and see my brother in North Wales and drive down through the Brecon Beacons, that’s another beautiful drive.

Sorry to go off topic AnnC I was interested in your post and I think you've probably made the right decision. :thumbup:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Jan Rosser wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

Wrong part of South Wales Moby - I'm in the south-east valleys ...
Never mind it's still a lovely drive.

Out of interest Mobietta has origins in Usk and ' Old ' Cwmbran, are they part of your ' East Valleys ' ?

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “About Britannia”