Oceana Christmas Cruise E625

Oceana cruises in 2016

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Oceana Christmas Cruise E625

Post by Raybosailor »

We have booked on Oceana for the Christmas 2016 cruise to the Canaries and New Years Eve in Funchal, has anyone done this cruise before ?, I noticed that a similar cruise itinerary is available at Christmas on various ships and was wondering what other peoples experiences are of Christmas cruises.
I know it is early days yet but is anyone else onboard for this cruise ?, we are particularly looking forward to the overnight in Funchal as they have a wonderful firework display on New Years Eve.

JoanneB
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: Oceana Christmas Cruise E625

Post by JoanneB »

We did this on Aurora some years ago and the fireworks were great, so good we are going again this year on Cunard! We loved Christmas on board, have tried hotels but just not the same somehow.

Video of the fireworks here

https://youtu.be/DhbLyUpZDMo

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Thanks Joanne, we enjoyed watching the video and can't wait to go on our Christmas cruise on Oceana.
Like you we have had many Christmas breaks in hotels some good some not so good but I know we will be looked after with P&O.

I take it that Christmas Day will be black tie Gala dinner but what about New Years Eve ?, will that be black tie too ?.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Raybosailor wrote:
We have booked on Oceana for the Christmas 2016 cruise to the Canaries and New Years Eve in Funchal, has anyone done this cruise before ?, I noticed that a similar cruise itinerary is available at Christmas on various ships and was wondering what other peoples experiences are of Christmas cruises.
I know it is early days yet but is anyone else onboard for this cruise ?, we are particularly looking forward to the overnight in Funchal as they have a wonderful firework display on New Years Eve.

We are on this one Ray, this will be our 3rd festive cruise. We have done a New Year one a Christmas one and the last was a Christmas and New Year. :)

I think P&O do Christmas well and far more than we would do at home. Decks, lights, tree, mince pies, carols cake, panto, midnight service, full Christmas Lunch....in the evening. Santa, pressies and on and on.

Gan Canny

Dai

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Raybosailor wrote:
Thanks Joanne, we enjoyed watching the video and can't wait to go on our Christmas cruise on Oceana.
Like you we have had many Christmas breaks in hotels some good some not so good but I know we will be looked after with P&O.

I take it that Christmas Day will be black tie Gala dinner but what about New Years Eve ?, will that be black tie too ?.
On Aurora Xmas 2012 to the Caribbean both evenings were 'black tie' P&O formal but everybody was invited to change after dinner on New Years Eve and enjoy the deck party. I have to say that the much-vaunted Christmas dinner was a big disappointment. Cold, small portions and had to be eaten whilst stuffed up like a turkey.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Never done Christmas but we have done New Year in Funchal. The fireworks are amazing and P&O, who have a long relationship with Madeira, usually get the harbour equivalent of front row circle seats. Enjoy.

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

daib GC wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:

We are on this one Ray, this will be our 3rd festive cruise. We have done a New Year one a Christmas one and the last was a Christmas and New Year. :)

I think P&O do Christmas well and far more than we would do at home. Decks, lights, tree, mince pies, carols cake, panto, midnight service, full Christmas Lunch....in the evening. Santa, pressies and on and on.

Gan Canny

Look forward to meeting you again Dai, it seems an age since we were on the Arcadia Caribbean together we will have to meet up for a drink.
Ray

Dai

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

We paid the balance on our Oceana Christmas cruise yesterday and are really excited as its our first time away from home at Christmas and New Year on a cruise. This morning I have been looking at the cruise personaliser, this is the first time we are visiting Agadir on a cruise ship, does anyone have any ideas on what we should do? Should we book an organised tour of the town or is it safe to get off and wander about on our own? Or alternatively should we just stay on board the ship? Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Lynda

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We're going to Agadir in November Lynda and Mrs Barney has already decided she is not getting off.

A few years ago we went to somewhere else in Morocco (can't remember where) and she hated it.
We were only off the ship for about an hour and she was ready to go back.
She didn't like the way they swarm you, looking for business.

Others will have varying opinions.
Empty vessels .. and all that

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Lynda and David wrote:
We paid the balance on our Oceana Christmas cruise yesterday and are really excited as its our first time away from home at Christmas and New Year on a cruise. This morning I have been looking at the cruise personaliser, this is the first time we are visiting Agadir on a cruise ship, does anyone have any ideas on what we should do? Should we book an organised tour of the town or is it safe to get off and wander about on our own? Or alternatively should we just stay on board the ship? Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Lynda
We are due to call at Agadir this Christmas too - but on Oriana. It will be our second visit and this time we are most definitely staying on board. Yes, there's a bit of "local colour" but plenty of local aroma too !! The beach and promenade is OK but it is fairly ordinary and you could be anywhere (apart from the beggars and hawkers!)

Enjoy your cruise Lynda - and don't take any nonsense from Raymondo. Make sure he buys the first round !!

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

qbman1 wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:

Many thanks

Lynda
We are due to call at Agadir this Christmas too - but on Oriana. It will be our second visit and this time we are most definitely staying on board. Yes, there's a bit of "local colour" but plenty of local aroma too !! The beach and promenade is OK but it is fairly ordinary and you could be anywhere (apart from the beggars and hawkers!)

Enjoy your cruise Lynda - and don't take any nonsense from Raymondo. Make sure he buys the first round !!
Thanks, looks like we'll be staying on board that day. We'll definitely say hello to Ray and Dai if we see them, I think I'll recognise Dai as he was on a cruise on Azura in 2014 that we were on.

Lynda :wave:

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

qbman1 wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:

Many thanks

Lynda

Just make sure your out of Agadir before we arrive Cubie or you'll be tipping up mate, I don't know about Lynda but I know Dai likes a tipple in port and so do we.

As Cubie says you have to be prepared for the onslaught of traders and beggers but I descend from a long line of market traders so they will have a tough time when the Nottingham Bulldog goes ashore.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

We're there on 28th December, so you'll be OK !

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Raybosailor wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:

Many thanks

Lynda

Just make sure your out of Agadir before we arrive Cubie or you'll be tipping up mate, I don't know about Lynda but I know Dai likes a tipple in port and so do we.

As Cubie says you have to be prepared for the onslaught of traders and beggers but I descend from a long line of market traders so they will have a tough time when the Nottingham Bulldog goes ashore.

Me? Drink. Never. I will have you know I am TT. Well until tomorrow.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

I am on this cruise, along with my friend Lizzie, and the Tickets and luggage labels are now available in the Personaliser!!!

And has been mentioned earlier in this thread..........we are not getting off at Agadir either!!

Not long now!!!

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Hi Maureen, I have just logged in to see our eTicket and we have a check in time of 13:30 which is just about right for us, we are staying overnight in Southampton and the hotel check out is 12:00 so by the time we have loaded the luggage into the car and joined the queue for car hand over we should be on time.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Hi Ray,

We are also staying in Southampton the night before with a noon check out. But we both have priority boarding so will aim for an earlier car hand over. Lizzie travels from Devon by train hence our stop over. Can't trust rail timetables to get her to Southampton on the day of sailing, and I drive from London, but over the last 18 months or so have elected to spend the night in a hotel rather than rely on the M25/M3. I feel my odds are ever shortening for an horrendous journey on the day, resulting in missing the ship!! Not worth it!!!

Best wishes
Maureen

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Hello Maureen and Ray

We just spent the last 2 nights on board Oceana; have to say she’s looking good, well cared for by the crew and very clean. We’re really looking forward to our Christmas and New Year cruise on her.

Best wishes

Lynda

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Likewise Lynda, although we have spent many Christmas's away from home this will be our first one at sea and we are really looking forward to it.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Thanks for that info Lynda, good to know. This will be my 3rd Christmas at sea and,like you Ray, am really looking forward to it, especially the fireworks in Funchal!

Best wishes

Maureen

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Hope you all enjoy it. I am a great fan of Christmas at Sea !

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Just printed off our tickets for Christmas on Oriana (I know....off-topic again!) and we are allocated a 3p.m. arrival slot. Good job we have priority !

The P&O website still says "You may find that there is a different time on your e-ticket, but we're working to correct that by early 2016." That went well, then, didn't it !!

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

qbman1 wrote:
Just printed off our tickets for Christmas on Oriana (I know....off-topic again!) and we are allocated a 3p.m. arrival slot. Good job we have priority !

The P&O website still says "You may find that there is a different time on your e-ticket, but we're working to correct that by early 2016." That went well, then, didn't it !!

Same here......................!!! :crazy: But the 2 earlier cruises I did this year had the correct priority times on the tickets!! So I naturally thought that P & O had got its act together...........wrong :thumbdown: Must have been the luck of the draw!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

More likely your correct times were a mistake Maureen !!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
Obviously you have not been informed of the changes to the embarkation system that are starting in December.

Return to “Oceana Cruises 2016”