Arcadia cruises 2016

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Hong Kong to Southampton 2016

Post by melsea »

Well another first for Melsea & OH.
We booked a few weeks ago a sector on next years Arcadia World Cruise. We often said we would not do a sector as the thought of flying doesn't fill us with joy. But the super duper came through my email inbox and we bit the bullet, too good not to do. Only thing is, some of what we saved will be used to get our Chinese visa.
Found out recently that we will know at least one person who will be on the cruise, so looking forward to that.
Anyone else sailing on this cruise?

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Hong Kong to Southampton 2016

Post by melsea »

Since I posted this last year, where has the time gone.
So it's now 19 sleeps to go before we make our merry way to Hong Kong to join Arcadia, we arrive in HK on the 15th.
Luckily we got our passports back from the Visa company with our prized visas for China, gulp for what it cost us. Hope we manage to get to China after all that stress of getting them.
So, visas in hand it is now that time to sort out how on earth am I going to pack what I have to put into cases, thank goodness we sent one case ahead that should be in our cabin when we board, well I say cabin, we are still awaiting for it to be allocated & then I will be excited that we actually have somewhere to sleep, which we will need by the time we get there. Have not flown long distance since the year 2000 and my hubby not since 2002, not looking forward to that at all. Which reminds me the last time I flew into Hong Kong was when it had the old airport dodging the washing from the buildings as you landed, I kid you not.
So with the kind people in charge at P&O deciding to have an adjustment to the dress codes to two, I need not have packed certain items and could have packed other things but hey ho at least I don't have to pack all the heavy toiletries that we ladies have to take they are on Arcadia.
Having always done full world cruises this is a first for us to join one and experience it from a different angle.
So, since I started this thread I now know that another couple will be on board that we know that are also joining the ship in Hong Kong, seems they got the same deal as we did, they were also one of the couples who attended our wedding on Aurora back in 2011, we last saw them in 2012. So a bit of a reunion there.
So folks, all being well I shall report from HK and thereafter when I am able to, depending on what fun and games happen on Ardie (aka Arcadia), made that up hee hee, I may be late with post.
Until next time, oh look I didn't digress, something amiss there..
Melsea

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Well firstly it sounds absolutely fantastic - a smashing route, and a smashing ship too.

I'm going to ask a couple of 'daft' questions though - we have an upcoming cruise which includes Hong Kong (not though with P & O), and will be especially interested in your LHR to what we call 'Cady Baby' (aka the lovely Arcadia).

Have a wonderful time, and looking forward to reading your reports.

Em

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We did Hong Kong to Southampton on Arcadia in 2010. Unfortunately, in their wisdom, P&O chose to berth us in the out of city container port, rather than the lovely cruise terminal at Kowloon. Pre cruise they put us in the Langham, which I was less than impressed with, especially as we had cancelled our own booking at the Shangri La to allow P&O to "take care of us" Nevertheless, we had a great voyage and I am sure you will do.

Looking forward to reading all about it.
Gill

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I need to go on a worldie ! This was sent to me from friends on Arcadia (currently in NZ) of the sail-by the glaciers in Chile:
chile.jpg
Spectacular.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

....and this is Tauranga:
Tauranga.jpg

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Tauranga is a beautiful place, we have walked up and walked around the base of the mound you see in that photo.
The Glaciers are just breathtaking and like us last year they seem to have had great weather too..
Yes you must do a Worldie.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

It's on the list !

Our friends said they couldn't tender in to Bora Bora because of the aftermath of the cyclone but it's been sunshine all the way since then. Hope you enjoy your leg

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I have to consider DH - there are places he doesn't fancy. At the same time, there are places I don't want to visit either, so for us it looks like it's going to be 'bits and pieces' of worldies. For those however who are happy to go everywhere, it's a wonderful thing.

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Em
I must be getting old but what is LHR?

Gill
I seem to remember a couple we got to know who were most likely on the same cruise in 2010, trying to get a taxi back there was proving difficult because they wouldn't believe them that the ship was there.

qbman1
Yes I had noticed on the P&O webcam that it looked very grey & raining and thought that doesn't look good.

Boris+
I must admit there are places I don't always fancy but end up finding something quite new and unusual and enjoying it but don't forget when everyone else is on shore you have the resort called the ship all to yourself which is one of things my OH loves when he doesn't go shore, especially when we were in Hilo, Hawaii. He sat on the back of the ship on Aurora and saw endless displays of whales all day and yet the tour by P&O barely saw any. No justice huh.

Melsea

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

You've got to be kidding - LHR is one of my favourite places (second only to Southampton and LGW) - it's London Heathrow! I'm sure you are joking, but just in case! Before anyone asks why do we 'like' airports - simple really, it's just because that's where a whole heap of wonderful adventures begin (especially if there's nothing we fancy out of Southampton).

As far as not wanting to visit certain countries is concerned, we could quite happily stay on board, however, we'd still have to pay for the visas; and when we are thoroughly aware of what certain areas are like and therefore have no intention of going ashore, we are most certainly not going to be forced to pay for visas when prefer to stay on the ship.

We loved Hilo - in fact we thoroughly enjoyed all the places we stopped at in Hawaii; but Hilo was stunning. Our Hawaii whale experience was at La Haina (sp?), and we'll never forget it.

Anyway, back to here and now - have a great trip.

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Em,
lol that did make me laugh. I thought it meant Heathrow but couldn't work out why it would be a favourite place and assumed it was something else. Talking of airports, I used to love going to the airport and jetting off on my hols, but the whole experience of flying just doesn't do it for me anymore which is why we love cruising from Southampton. However we are making a huge exception in this case as it was a deal we could not refuse and it was going back to Southampton.
So I shall convey my experience on this long haul flight and everything else that goes with joining a sector instead.

As to Visas, yes it is a joke but with the huge savings we made with this trip even with the Chinese Visa cost we are still good with it. Not all visas are as expensive and we already have our US one at a cost less than $20. This time we don't need the Australian one but at least this one is free, I had been paying it up until a few years ago when I realised I didn't need to. I had heard that India are trying to do away with having the Visa before you leave home and have it issued when you arrive. But alas politics will always dictate how we travel and arrive.

Melsea

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

The stuff we have booked sorts out visas as you sail along - the ship does it, and it will be covered by obc.

Last time we did estas for USA we did it online, and it cost about £14 - and was virtually instant.

Like you, I think that cruising out of Southampton is a wonderful way, but I enjoy getting hopeful and excited once we've gone through security at LHR (or LGW), and sometimes, (like you), it's a case of 'needs must'.

Have a really great trip.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

...............and when we are thoroughly aware of what certain areas are like and therefore have no intention of going ashore, we are most certainly not going to be forced to pay for visas when prefer to stay on the ship.

In some c ountries, you have no choice. If you don't have a visa, even if you don't intend going ashore, you will be denied boarding.

Return to “Arcadia Cruises 2016”