daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Oceana Christmas Cruise E625

Post by daib GC »

Lynda and David wrote:
daib GC wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Ok Lynda & Maureen perhaps we might meet up in a bar onboard sometime, memorise my profile picture once seen never forgot then you can either say hello or as is often the case avoid me.
Ray,

I wil be organising a get together for our Facebook group, as I usually do and I always invite any other people I know from other forum. I will be posting the details on here when I get them. It's usually the first sea day.

It would be great to see people from this group as well.

Gan Canny

Dai
Hello Dai we'd like to come along to the get together if that's ok.

Lynda

Excellent.

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

daib GC wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:
daib GC wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Ok Lynda & Maureen perhaps we might meet up in a bar onboard sometime, memorise my profile picture once seen never forgot then you can either say hello or as is often the case avoid me.
Ray,

I wil be organising a get together for our Facebook group, as I usually do and I always invite any other people I know from other forum. I will be posting the details on here when I get them. It's usually the first sea day.

Gan Canny

Dai
Hello Dai we'd like to come along to the get together if that's ok.

Lynda

Excellent.
Count me in Dai, I look forward to meeting up with you again.

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Lynda and David wrote:
MaureenB wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:

Will do Ray, and I certainly would not avoid you!

Lynda? I expect to spend some time in Magnums too so no doubt may see you there. Look out for a 60 something 5' 2" silver haired lady! I see you hail from Fulham? Interesting as I was born and bought up in Hammersmith/Fulham. Maybe we have shared background!

Best wishes
Maureen

Hello Maureen, small world, we now live in Hammersmith but I was born and went to school in Fulham. I'll keep an eye out for you, I'll be with my husband David who has shoulder length dark hair and speaks with a Scottish accent, although he is in fact from Derbyshire.

Best wishes

Lynda :wave:
I have fond memories of the Hammersmith Palais back in the 60's, my mates and I used to go there often when we went down to London, we always stayed in a B&B in Acton Vale and sometimes went to the Acton Vale Social Club where a few stars of the 60's started out.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

daib GC wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Ray,

Gan Canny

Dai

Hi there Dai,
Count me in too :wave:

Maureen

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Raybosailor wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:
MaureenB wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:

Lynda? I expect to spend some time in Magnums too so no doubt may see you there. Look out for a 60 something 5' 2" silver haired lady! I see you hail from Fulham? Interesting as I was born and bought up in Hammersmith/Fulham. Maybe we have shared background!

Best wishes
Maureen

Hello Maureen, small world, we now live in Hammersmith but I was born and went to school in Fulham. I'll keep an eye out for you, I'll be with my husband David who has shoulder length dark hair and speaks with a Scottish accent, although he is in fact from Derbyshire.

Best wishes

I have fond memories of the Hammersmith Palais back in the 60's, my mates and I used to go there often when we went down to London, we always stayed in a B&B in Acton Vale and sometimes went to the Acton Vale Social Club where a few stars of the 60's started out.

Gosh..............Hammersmith Palais! What memories you have brought back! I lived just around the corner, and in the 60's loved the Monday night Disco with my school pals. Were we Top Mods or what!! The music was great. Happy Days.

Yours nostalgically
Maureen

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

MaureenB wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:
MaureenB wrote:

Best wishes
Maureen

Best wishes

Gosh..............Hammersmith Palais! What memories you have brought back! I lived just around the corner, and in the 60's loved the Monday night Disco with my school pals. Were we Top Mods or what!! The music was great. Happy Days.

Yours nostalgically
Maureen
My friend and I liked to go the the Palais on a Wednesday night in the 80's, the first half of the night was ballroom dancing and at 10.30 the disco started until 2am. We were always among the last to leave. The next day at work we spent the morning drinking coffee and trying to wake up. Unfortunately the Hammersmith Palais was pulled down a few years ago and is now a gym.

Best wishes

Lynda

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Lynda and David wrote:
MaureenB wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:

Best wishes

Yours nostalgically
Maureen
My friend and I liked to go the the Palais on a Wednesday night in the 80's, the first half of the night was ballroom dancing and at 10.30 the disco started until 2am. We were always among the last to leave. The next day at work we spent the morning drinking coffee and trying to wake up. Unfortunately the Hammersmith Palais was pulled down a few years ago and is now a gym.

Best wishes

Lynda
We past through Hammersmith not long ago and I was shocked to see boards up where the Palais used to be, I suppose they must have been building the gym then.

Joe Loss and his band were the resident band and often supported by a decent group like the Migil 5 (Mocking Bird) and others. Can you remember the revolving stage ?, one band would fade out while the other faded in as it revolved.

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Raybosailor wrote:
Lynda and David wrote:
MaureenB wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:

Yours nostalgically
Maureen

Best wishes

Lynda
We past through Hammersmith not long ago and I was shocked to see boards up where the Palais used to be, I suppose they must have been building the gym then.

Joe Loss and his band were the resident band and often supported by a decent group like the Migil 5 (Mocking Bird) and others. Can you remember the revolving stage ?, one band would fade out while the other faded in as it revolved.
Hi Ray, I remember the revolving stage but never saw Joe Loss although I can remember my Mum talking about Joe Loss as she used to go dancing at the Palais with her friends from the Fullers chocolate factory which was based just off Hammersmith Broadway. I wonder if Maureen remembers Fullers. Hammersmith has changed so much over the past few years, even the fire station next door to the Palais is now a Wagamuma.

Best wishes

Lynda

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Perhaps one of you ladies can jog my memory about a music venue we used to visit near Shepherds Bush Market, I'm sure it was called something like "The Range" or "The Ranch" and you went down some stairs to it. It was a very popular venue in the 60's and we met some celebs in there, I even had a dance with Sandie Shaw in there but the name of the place has slipped my memory.

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Raybosailor wrote:
Perhaps one of you ladies can jog my memory about a music venue we used to visit near Shepherds Bush Market, I'm sure it was called something like "The Range" or "The Ranch" and you went down some stairs to it. It was a very popular venue in the 60's and we met some celebs in there, I even had a dance with Sandie Shaw in there but the name of the place has slipped my memory.
Hello Ray

I'm sorry I've never heard of any music venues in Shepherds Bush called the Range or Ranch, the only venue I know of is the Shepherds Bush Empire overlooking the Green. In Hammersmith there was a hotel/pub called the Clarendon Hotel which had live bands playing downstairs in the bar. David knows more about that as he used to go some Sunday nights. He says it was known for its squelchy carpet.

Best wishes

Lynda

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Lynda and David wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Hello Ray

I'm sorry I've never heard of any music venues in Shepherds Bush called the Range or Ranch, the only venue I know of is the Shepherds Bush Empire overlooking the Green. In Hammersmith there was a hotel/pub called the Clarendon Hotel which had live bands playing downstairs in the bar. David knows more about that as he used to go some Sunday nights. He says it was known for its squelchy carpet.

Best wishes

The place I am talking about was near the Empire perhaps it was the Clarendon and I am mixing it up with some other venue elsewhere, the venue had a cloakroom attendant in the men's loo which was a blessing because a girl was sick on my jacket and he cleaned it up for me. It was definitely down some stairs and they had some good groups on sometimes.
Happy Days
Lynda
Last edited by david63 on 06 Dec 2016, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Formatting

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

A week today I will be on my way down to Southampton for an overnight stay prior to our Christmas cruise on Oceana.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

A week today, I'll be bobbing about in the Bay of Biscay !! Mind you, the long range forecast is not bad - any strong winds are due to subside on Friday and high pressure is coming in so we might just have a reasonable crossing

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Raybosailor wrote:
A week today I will be on my way down to Southampton for an overnight stay prior to our Christmas cruise on Oceana.

Me too Ray :thumbup:

Hope to see you on board and chat about the old days !!

Best wishes

Maureen :wave:

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

MaureenB wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:

Best wishes

Look forward to meeting you Maureen, we were hoping that Dai would come back with details of his forum meet up.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Raybosailor wrote:
MaureenB wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:

Best wishes

Look forward to meeting you Maureen, we were hoping that Dai would come back with details of his forum meet up.

Still awaiting the white smoke from Southampton. 8-) 8-)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

qbman1 wrote:
A week today, I'll be bobbing about in the Bay of Biscay !! Mind you, the long range forecast is not bad - any strong winds are due to subside on Friday and high pressure is coming in so we might just have a reasonable crossing

We came back last week and had the best crossings, both ways, that we've ever had.
When we woke up first morning, we honestly thought we had turned back to Southampton and anchored :lol:

All the luck of the draw.
Empty vessels .. and all that

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Yep, fingers crossed. We've had a couple like that too - but then a few rough ones as well !

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I hope you all get a smooth transit and A very enjoyable cruise:) Have a Merry Christmas.
I would feel quite jealous if we weren't seeing our son over Christmas.

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Happydays wrote:
I hope you all get a smooth transit and A very enjoyable cruise:) Have a Merry Christmas.
I would feel quite jealous if we weren't seeing our son over Christmas.
Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Have you all heard about this ?

"Excited to announce we'll be hosting a BBC Radio 2 live broadcast on New Year's Eve on board Oceana with Caro Emerald and AnaMatronic"

Hope they don't want to interview Raymondo - he'll have had a few by then !!

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

qbman1 wrote:

"Excited to announce we'll be hosting a BBC Radio 2 live broadcast on New Year's Eve on board Oceana with Caro Emerald and AnaMatronic"

Yes, I got a letter a couple of days ago. Not sure what to make of it, but as long as they do not disrupt New Years night on board I'm easy. I quite like Caro Emerald but doubt I will bother with the act in the show lounge. Past experience tells me that seats are reserved for the acts as early as 6pm thus making it impossible to get in at show time.

One good thing though? I would imagine that we will be alongside the whole time to enable the Radio 2 crew on and off at will. On my cruise personaliser it does state "possible tender" for Madeira.

Not long now :crazy:

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

MaureenB wrote:
qbman1 wrote:

Yes, I got a letter a couple of days ago. Not sure what to make of it, but as long as they do not disrupt New Years night on board I'm easy. I quite like Caro Emerald but doubt I will bother with the act in the show lounge. Past experience tells me that seats are reserved for the acts as early as 6pm thus making it impossible to get in at show time.

One good thing though? I would imagine that we will be alongside the whole time to enable the Radio 2 crew on and off at will. On my cruise personaliser it does state "possible tender" for Madeira.

Not long now :crazy:
Too right Cubie I will have had a few by the time the show goes on air at 23:00, Radio 2 is my favourite channel and we often see new year in with them when at home. Penny Smith ex GMTV presenter and radio presenter is part of the line up too. I wonder if Cubie has photos of Penny showing her lack of undergarments. :thumbup:

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Best wishes to everyone on the Oceana Christmas Cruise. Madeira looked wonderful on December 9th when we called in there on Ventura. If you walk into town from the ship, go up to the roads higher up from the promenade to see what a wonderful job the people of Madeira make of Christmas. Considering all the rotten luck they have had such as landslides and this year the fire, they still make Christmas and New Year wonderful for the visitors.

Maureen.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

For those who would like to meet up I have arranged a get together at 11.30 on Thursday 22nd. It will be held in one of the restaurants.

At the moment they do not know which one.

The event will be posted in the Horizon for Thursday with the full details It will be under the title Facebook get together.

Hopefully there will be tea and coffee available.

We might even get biscuits.

See you all soon

Gan Canny

Dai

Return to “Oceana Cruises 2016”