Oceana Christmas Cruise E625

Oceana cruises in 2016

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Oceana Christmas Cruise E625

Post by Raybosailor »

Thanks Dai look forward to seeing you again, Biscuits ?? we had Danish pastries last time, things are getting tight at P&O :lol:

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Raybosailor wrote:
Thanks Dai look forward to seeing you again, Biscuits ?? we had Danish pastries last time, things are getting tight at P&O :lol:

I was trying not to raise expectations. Then if you get goodies it's a bonus.

MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

daib GC wrote:
For those who would like to meet up I have arranged a get together at 11.30 on Thursday 22nd. It will be held in one of the restaurants.

At the moment they do not know which one.

The event will be posted in the Horizon for Thursday with the full details It will be under the title Facebook get together.

Hopefully there will be tea and coffee available.

We might even get biscuits.

See you all soon

Gan Canny

Dai

Thanks Dai. See you there. I am the vertically challenged silver haired old lady :thumbup:

:wave: :wave:

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Kenmo1 wrote:
Best wishes to everyone on the Oceana Christmas Cruise. Madeira looked wonderful on December 9th when we called in there on Ventura. If you walk into town from the ship, go up to the roads higher up from the promenade to see what a wonderful job the people of Madeira make of Christmas. Considering all the rotten luck they have had such as landslides and this year the fire, they still make Christmas and New Year wonderful for the visitors.

Maureen.
When you get of the shuttle bus there is always a crowd of taxi drivers offering tours around Funchal and neighboring villages. Don't accept the first quote offered someone will always give you a much better price if your prepared to negotiate. Don't think your robbing them because they always inflate prices for cruise passengers.

Camara de Lobo is a pretty little village close to Funchal where Winston Churchill used to paint, there is a nice nativity scene and the harbour is decorated until the New Year too.

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

Thank you Dai, we look forward to meeting everyone

Lynda and David

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Sorry folks late change in venue and time. 12.30 to 13.30 in the Card room which is near the Library and Le Club.

Also look in the Horizon.

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

Thanks for letting us know Dai see you on Thursday

Best wishes

Lynda and David

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

First port of call this morning La Coruna after a bumpy ride on BOB there doesn't seem to be much evidence of sea sickness so everyone seems to be prepared including OH. We had our forum meet up yesterday set up by Dai which was a joint Facebook and P&O Community forum and it was nice to put faces to forum members.
The ship is nicely decorated and has a friendly atmosphere apart from the usual Grinches.
Next stop Agadir

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

2nd port of call Agadir, I have taken the shuttle into town to get wifi and straight back again. Very dirty place with weak wifi and strong wiffs from the drains.

There are a good number of ill mannered people on board but last night was the pits. After a lovely Christmas dinner we decided to watch the Beatles tribute in Starlights, but we missed the first two numbers due to a loud mouth and his two lady friends bellowing out over the music. I politely asked them if it was ok if we could listen to the music and he got very aggressive towards me. This is not what I came on a cruise for and Cheryl had to calm me down saying we don't want to get thrown off the ship in Agadir of all places.
Quite a few kids on board and they are on the whole very well behaved, perhaps they can teach a few adults how to behave.

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Arrived in Arrecife this morning and watched Oriana ( crewed by the one and only Cubie ) berth beside us. The sun is shining and it is a very pleasant 19 degrees.
Last night was the ships company pantomime " Robinson Crusoe" which was very amusing and even Captain Willard made an appearance.
Tonight is curry night in the Plaza so we are giving our waiters a rest before setting off for the Starlights Theatre to watch the Headliners show.

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Hi Ray. how sad you had a run in with Mr gobby, it can put a big damper on the evening. Hope the rest of the cruise goes well for the both of you.
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

In Gran Canaria this morning, sunny but beezy as usual. Last night was curry night in the Plaza so we skipped the MDR for a bash at a bit of Indian which was very nice.
We were able to get good seats in Starlights for the Headliners show to round the night off.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Raybosailor wrote:
2nd port of call Agadir, I have taken the shuttle into town to get wifi and straight back again. Very dirty place with weak wifi and strong wiffs from the drains.

There are a good number of ill mannered people on board but last night was the pits. After a lovely Christmas dinner we decided to watch the Beatles tribute in Starlights, but we missed the first two numbers due to a loud mouth and his two lady friends bellowing out over the music. I politely asked them if it was ok if we could listen to the music and he got very aggressive towards me. This is not what I came on a cruise for and Cheryl had to calm me down saying we don't want to get thrown off the ship in Agadir of all places.
Quite a few kids on board and they are on the whole very well behaved, perhaps they can teach a few adults how to behave.
There's always one. In fact sometimes there are several! But you're having a good time. That's what matters

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Quite right Merv, the majority of the passengers are very friendly and we have met some lovely people.
Weather in Tenerife fine and sunny, I tried to post a review but the wifi dropped before posting.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Nice to hear from you Ray. Kepp posting................................ that is when the wifi is behaving itself!!!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Raybosailor wrote:
Quite right Merv, the majority of the passengers are very friendly and we have met some lovely people.
Weather in Tenerife fine and sunny, I tried to post a review but the wifi dropped before posting.
Just tell the snotty ones you've been cruising since you were five, have done more than 300 cruises, were driven to Southampton by your chauffeur in the Rolls and that your butler and housekeeper are looking after your ten bedroom mansion overlooking Poole Harbour while you're away.

And if that doesn't shut them up tell them you'll ask your suite butler to report them to the Captain, who is your brother, and that they'll be put ashore at the next port and barred for life from all Carnival group ships. :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 29 Dec 2016, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

... and failing all that tell them that you know Merv

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

david63 wrote:
... and failing all that tell them that you know Merv
We don't want to get Raybo chucked off! :crazy:

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Raybosailor wrote:
Just tell the snotty ones you've been cruising since you were five, have done more than 300 cruises, were driven to Southampton by your chauffeur in the Rolls and that your butler and housekeeper are looking after your ten bedroom mansion overlooking Poole Harbour while you're away.

And if that doesn't shut them up tell them you'll ask your suite butler to report them to the Captain, who is your brother, and that they'll be put ashore at the next port and barred for life from all Carnival group ships. :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
I wasn't aware you knew me so well Merv :wave:

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Berthed in Santa Cruz, La Palma this morning alongside Boudicca, it is very windy but mild. A pretty little port with little sign of being spoilt by tourism apart from the ugly MacDonalds in front of the port gates

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Hi Ray - I'm glad the cruise is going well and I am enjoying your reports which are bringing back lots of good memories. I see you you didn't think much of Agadir. For us, it was the first port to have wall to wall sunshine after what had been an absolutely foul few days of storms and rough seas so it felt like heaven to us, whiffs and all, but we did stay down on the promenade and didn't tackle the town.

If ever we wanted to move abroad, my favourite place would be to Las Canteras Beach in Gran Canaria - lovely beach and decent shops - what more could a person want. :lol:

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Maureen

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Raybosailor wrote:
Berthed in Santa Cruz, La Palma this morning alongside Boudicca, it is very windy but mild. A pretty little port with little sign of being spoilt by tourism apart from the ugly MacDonalds in front of the port gates
It looks as though the germans got a far better berth than Oceana Raybo, you seem to be stuck at the very end of the jetty.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

They probably sent an advanced party at dawn to lay out towels

Topic author
Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Same today in Funchal we are acting as breakwater to the rest of the ships.
The town is very busy today ahead of the fireworks tonight.
I will post a more detailed review of the cruise when we get back to the UK
Happy New Year to all.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

The Germans got their towels down first again.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “Oceana Cruises 2016”