Cruising to New York with P&O

Cruising destinations in the Americas and the Caribbean

Topic author
AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Cruising to New York with P&O

Post by AileenB »

I would be very grateful to know if anyone has cruised to NY with P&O and berthed at Brooklyn terminal. Many thanks.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cruising to New York with P&O

Post by Dancing Queen »

I have Aileen and I assume this question is in relation to the shuttle buses, unfortunately I can't tell you much more than I did on your other thread except shuttles were available and were chargeable, this must have been 7/8 years ago and as far as I can recall the buses were arranged by P&O so if they are telling you they haven't been available for the last 10 years then they are telling 'porkies'.

Just a suggestion but have you looked if there is a roll call on Cruise Critic for this cruise, very often you will find people on there who are looking for others to share transport or it might be worth looking at the cost of a mini bus and then try asking yourself if anyone wants to share.
Jo

Topic author
AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AileenB »

Many thanks, Dancing Queen. Was this 2010? I know that in 2009 and 2011 Aurora berthed in Manhattan. The mini bus idea is certainly an option. According to P&O, they have never run shuttles from Brooklyn!! I have now raised this matter with Mr Edgington. I dislike being told untruths!

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Hi Aileen
We no longer cruise with P&O but of course I can still check what cruises I have done with P&O on my personaliser so I thought this might be a good place to start so the information was correct, it was actually longer than I thought September 2007 on Aurora but this is still within the 10 year time frame they say they haven't done it,this was the last time we went to New York and the only time we have docked in Brooklyn, we most definitely went into Manhattan by shuttle but as I said previously I can’t remember if P&O provided it or not but I would assume they did otherwise if it were a local company running the service they would be advising you there was an alternative.

I hope you manage to sort something out.
Jo

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

AileenB wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 07:07
Many thanks, Dancing Queen. Was this 2010? I know that in 2009 and 2011 Aurora berthed in Manhattan. The mini bus idea is certainly an option. According to P&O, they have never run shuttles from Brooklyn!! I have now raised this matter with Mr Edgington. I dislike being told untruths!
I think he is fairly safe as most if not all of the New York port visits have been to Manhatton, we were there in 12 and I have looked at where they have been berthing each year since. I cannot remember one visit to Brooklyn. So it is easy to say you have never provided a free shuttle if you have not docked their.

Topic author
AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AileenB »

Thanks for the above folks! I was on Aurora on the 2007 cruise which berthed in Brooklyn. P&O did provide free shuttles. I still have the information about it and sent this info to P&O who said that it was outwith the 10 years mentioned!!! I now know that Aurora has berthed only in Manhattan for practically every year since 2007. I'm still trying to find out about 2008 and 2010. Not sure whether she did the cruise in 2008. Anyway, P&O don't seem to be planning at the moment to inform passengers on R715 that they are berthing at Brooklyn and that no shuttles are planned. My suggestion to do this has been "passed on to the relevant team for their consideration, however, (I) cannot guarantee that this will be sent out to all guests prior to the cruise itself."
Tough if you're not on a cruise forum. I would not be happy finding this out on board!!

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Hello

Funnily enough I will be sailing to NY in June on QM2 for a transatlantic round trip. I have been trying to find out how to get into Manhatten from The Brooklyn Terminal as the QM2 always goes there.
So onto your enquiry, P&O used to have a list of Port Information on their website but it doesn't appear to be the case now. I do however still have copies when they did, although the one I do have was from June 2013 which was when we did the same cruise you are going on. It says and I quote,
"Manhatten Cruise Terminal - this berth does not require a shuttle service. Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - no shuttle service available, however taxis will be at the quayside."

Having been researching for ourselves we will probably stay in and around Brooklyn as we sail quite early. For you though as you will be there two days, you might want to take a taxi to the Ikea Store which is not far from the terminal and then take the Ikea Express water taxi which takes you to Pier 11 on Manhatten. I notice you will be in NY on a weekend and the water taxi from here is free on weekends. Or you can get a taxi to the nearest Subway station which would be Carrol St F:G or Bergen St F:G these are on the Orange line and it takes you into Manhatten. I have looked at the schedule for NY and yes you will be at the Brooklyn Terminal.
Hope that helps.
Melsea
Last edited by melsea on 26 Apr 2017, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AileenB »

Thank you very much Melsea for that information! I had been looking at the water taxis earlier. The subway info is also much appreciated. P&O's pdf which stated that there would be shuttles from Brooklyn has now been removed from the internet. Thanks again for your help.

Tapstep2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Tapstep2 »

Hello, we are on this cruise too and were very disappointed first of all to be docking at Brooklyn instead of Manhattan and especially since P&O are refusing to provide shuttles. I have contacted our TA and asked them to take this up with P&O on our behalf (but don't hold much hope for a successful outcome). However, if it's of any help to anyone, I did download the Port Info. PDF a few days ago before P&O had a chance to remove it. My view is that we booked under the T&Cs operating at the time of booking and this info. was published on their website until very recently.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

I must add that Cunard don't offer shuttles either. I do wonder if the taxis that operate there would not entertain the idea of cruise ships having shuttle buses.
Just a thought.

Topic author
AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Re: Cruising to Ne w York with P&O

Post by AileenB »

Hi Tapstep2!

Unfortunately, P&O told me that the reason they can no longer provide free shuttles at Brooklyn is that when they negotiated their contract with that terminal, Brooklyn borough made it a condition that free shuttles would not be provided by the cruise line! Clearly Brooklyn wanted to keep more passengers in their borough. I doubt if P&O would consider that old pdf as part of their Ts and Cs. It may be that P&O can run paid for shuttles, but i don't think they'll be in a hurry to tell us anything. See my earlier post re their reply about letting all passengers know they are going to Brooklyn. Most will assume Manhattan is where the ship will dock. (My research so far shows that since 2007 Aurora has always used the Manhattan berth .). It would be in everyone's interest for P&O to make this info available to all passengers .

I think this also covers Melsea's point above.

Tapstep2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Tapstep2 »

Yes, thank you Aileen. This also begs the question why they have changed to Brooklyn? I know there are other ships in Manhattan on the same day but presumably it is a cost issue? I also still do think that if the PDF is giving certain information on their website they are contractually bound by that. If this were not the case surely they could change almost anything with no right of redress by the passengers. I still intend to pursue this but do not expect to get very far on my own. I wonder if there will be any meetings arranged by passengers about this on board? We have several sea days crossing the Atlantic so would have plenty of time!
Thanks also to Melsea for the info. The IKEA ferry looks a good option but imagine it will be busy.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Tapstep
I feel your pain. Unfortunately on the day you arrive in NY there will be 3 other ships and they are berthed at Manhatten. Two of those are using their own home berths. On the second day there will be 4 other ships, again some will be using their own berths. Which is the reason why Aurora will be where it is. As far as I know P&O have never had shuttle buses, there simply isn't the room. I am guessing though that someone at Southampton thought it a good idea to add shuttle buses without actually knowing about the port.
Do let us know if you hear what P&O have to say.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

AileenB
Just seen your post. The contract with Brooklyn authorities makes sense.
Last edited by melsea on 26 Apr 2017, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

It seems a bit Ryanairish of P&O to advertise a port of call stop in New York and tie up in Brooklyn.
Yet another example of their poor customer service.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

towny44 wrote: 26 Apr 2017, 22:51
It seems a bit Ryanairish of P&O to advertise a port of call stop in New York and tie up in Brooklyn.
There goes the propellers :D

Topic author
AileenB
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AileenB »

Ha ha Mr Towny. However, comparison with Ryanair would be unfair to P&O. As was rather patronisingly pointed out to me in my lengthy exchanges with them, "New York consists of five Boroughs....etc etc" :-)

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

That would be like Cunard as well then.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 11:45
Certainly if the cap fits. If I sail to New York I want to be berthed in Manhattan or I won't bother.
John

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I'll be interested to hear what happens, Aileen. I'm on the 2018 North America cruise.

I'm already braced for docking in Brooklyn, but knowing whether or not there's a shuttle will help us plan our 2 days
Gill

Tapstep2
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Tapstep2 »

Latest update on this one: Had a reply from the TA saying P&O have acknowledged the query and will take approx. 4 weeks to respond (!) So I am not holding my breath for an early resolution!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Sounds like they haven't got a clue either

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 13:57
Certainly if the cap fits. If I sail to New York I want to be berthed in Manhattan or I won't bother.
Do you also want to be in Manhatton f you fly in. That may be a little difficult but those nasty airlines will claim to be taking you to New York.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 18:40
Do you also want to be in Manhatton f you fly in. That may be a little difficult but those nasty airlines will claim to be taking you to New York.
If I am flying to New York chances are I will be staying longer than a one or 2 day cruise stop, and I will be very likely be staying in a city centre hotel , not a motel in Brooklyn.
Last edited by towny44 on 27 Apr 2017, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
John

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

daib GC wrote: 27 Apr 2017, 18:40
But the nasty airlines would advise you at the time of booking if transfers were included and if not would advise the alternatives.

I don't think this is particularly about docking at the Manhattan terminal or not ( imo Brooklyn is far nicer ) it is about passengers not being informed prior to booking so they can make an informed decision if they are prepared to make their own 'in transit' arrangements, not everyone wants to do a ships tour !! personally I think this is very underhand regardless of which cruise line it is.
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 28 Apr 2017, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

Return to “The Americas”