Oceana 2017- Malta, Greece, Albania, Croatia +Italy review

Oceana cruises in 2017

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Oceana 2017- Malta, Greece, Albania, Croatia +Italy review

Post by Boris+ »

I don't think tourists can drive into Medina, we usually park up by the Roman villa, just across the road for a nominal €1 for the day. We like having lunch in a tearoom which has roof top seating, so we're sitting virtually on top of the walls with awesome views and terrific gateaux.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Meg 50 wrote: 12 Aug 2017, 20:25
It's €2.80 return (.90 if you are old and can prove it... we forgot our ID so paid full fare) the lift is free if you have a ferry ticketDSCF8675 2.jpg
Now ... THAT is what I call a bargain.

We did the Three Cities and Harbour Cruise on a Celebrity Cruise Tour last year, it cost us approx £100 :evil:

Ravenna is a wonderful Port, we coupled the ceramics with a visit of San Marino, also brilliant.

Thanks for the report Meg. :thumbup:

Last edited by Manoverboard on 15 Aug 2017, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Just got around to finishing reading your report Meg - thank you for posting - loved your itinerary - you obviously had the same hot weather - well it was better than at home - non-stop rain.
Janis

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

An enjoyable read Meg. Thanks for posting.
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I found your review interesting as we are going on a similar one on Oceana next September :) where as your flight was later ours is going to be 6.35am!! Good you enjoyed it.

Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

It looks , generally, as though those on a week's cruise have early flights those on a fortnight have a later one.

But either way you get time to explore Vallettta one end or the other!
Meg
x

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

We are going on a two week cruise flying from Glasgow. Due to get to the ship by lunch time:) flight home is 2.30pm. Going shall be a pain but the return is a good time

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Great Review Meg.

The Roman Villa in Rabat is one not to be missed if you go again.

If visiting Ravenna, also don't miss a trip to San Marino, as previously mentioned.
Last edited by wolfie on 15 Aug 2017, 23:18, edited 2 times in total.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Thanks for the tip about Rabat - there's a whole heap of archeological stuff in that general region, but we don't reckon it's exactly going to be 'comfortable' nor safe (and being safe is the more important of the two). It's sad - but we'll give it a miss. However, hoping to start an archeology course in the near future (for a bit of fun).

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

We too are doing a similar one - 14 nights - on Oceana at the end of September next year. We fly from Gatwick and our flight out is 13.40 and the return one 19.20. According to our my Cruise Personaliser if we are flying Thomson then the cases go straight through to the ship but if we are flying Thomas Cook we have to collect them at the airport. We are flying Thomas Cook!

Carole

Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we flew Thomas Cook - had to collect our luggage from the conveyor belt at Valletta and deliver it to the coach.

On the way back it was 'outside the cabin by 11pm', and next seen at Gatwick
Meg
x

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 09:17
Thanks for the tip about Rabat - there's a whole heap of archeological stuff in that general region, but we don't reckon it's exactly going to be 'comfortable' nor safe (and being safe is the more important of the two). It's sad - but we'll give it a miss. However, hoping to start an archeology course in the near future (for a bit of fun).
Rabat Malta, not Morocco :roll:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Oooops - sorry, busy discussing a holiday and Morocco came up strongly in the discussion - so my head was quite firmly in Morroco at the time. Sorry.

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks Meg, enjoyed reading that.

How is Oceana herself looking these days ?

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Boris+ wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 19:03
Oooops - sorry, busy discussing a holiday and Morocco came up strongly in the discussion - so my head was quite firmly in Morroco at the time. Sorry.
:roll: Read the topic title Boris and all the posts ;) there's always a clue. Rabat/Medina, a stones' throw from each other :?: We enjoyed many great land based holidays in Morocco and let's hope that it will soon be off the, 'don't visit', list because it is an experience, and the hotels are first class.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

wolfie wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 20:05
Boris+ wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 19:03
:roll: Read the topic title Boris and all the posts ;) there's always a clue. Rabat/Medina, a stones' throw from each other :?: We enjoyed many great land based holidays in Morocco and let's hope that it will soon be off the, 'don't visit', list because it is an experience, and the hotels are first class.
Oh for goodness sake Wolfie get off your 'high horse' all threads go off topic and tbh my first thought of Rabat would have been the one in Morocco regardless of what the topic title said, I guess you just like to 'nit pick' .. no surprise there :roll:
Jo

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I am not about to fall off my, 'high horse' DQ. My post was in no way off topic as it replied to the title topic which was Malta, Greece, Albania etc. etc. Not a mention of Morocco in the review.

To clarify, Medina and Rabat are very close to one another and the Roman Villa should have been a clue, for anyone who had actually visited Malta, that it was Rabat in Malta, and not the one in Morocco. Neither am I, 'nit picking', just stating where the Roman Villa is for anyone interested in visiting when they call at Valetta and just surprised that a poster did not realise that and talked of parking there, at the Roman Villa, for Medina, when the Roman Villa is actually in Rabat. Thought you would have picked up on that little faux pas.

Off topic is one thing, inaccurate information is not, which was provided in one post. I do like to give cruisers the right information, as far as I am able to do so.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Now then, to try and clear up a potential misunderstanding - the roman villa in question is Domus Romana. On the website it states that it is in Rabat - if you are driving a hire car, the best way is to follow signs for Medina (M'dina).

Driving out there is a bit 'weird', with people blatantly disobeying signs such as 'no right/left turn' and 'no entry'. We were told that when we drove to the hotel we would have to drive the wrong way up a one way street! We even found a official sign telling us that the street was no entry except to people at the hotel! I've even seen people stopping on a dual carriageway/freeway, parking in the 'fast lane' and getting out to have a nice pleasant social chat!!!

Anyway, to get back to the Domus Romana - drive to Medina, and right by their main bus stop in Medina is a nice simple open air car park where we found an old man offering to supervise the parking for 1euro for the whole day. If you have a mobility issue you will have very little problems - the Domus Romana is a very short walk from the car park (couple of hundred yards at the most). Cross over the road by the bus stops and there is a nicely kept park - which has a particularly striking monument to WW2 - and you should have little problem in accessing entry to the ancient walled town through the main gate. We took the option of avoiding this and found a small entrance around the side, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone with mobility issues or a child in a buggy.

So, if you are in Malta, it's a couple of sights worth seeing - the Domus Romana has a small entrance charge, but of course the walled town is free. We didn't bother with the 'attractions' in the walled town as we were too busy doing our own thing. If you are driving yourself - follow signs for Medina, look for the 'museum' sign or the local main bus stops, and the car park is easy to spot.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

wolfie wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 22:40
I am not about to fall off my, 'high horse' DQ. My post was in no way off topic as it replied to the title topic which was Malta, Greece, Albania etc. etc. Not a mention of Morocco in the review.

To clarify, Medina and Rabat are very close to one another and the Roman Villa should have been a clue, for anyone who had actually visited Malta, that it was Rabat in Malta, and not the one in Morocco. Neither am I, 'nit picking', just stating where the Roman Villa is for anyone interested in visiting when they call at Valetta and just surprised that a poster did not realise that and talked of parking there, at the Roman Villa, for Medina, when the Roman Villa is actually in Rabat. Thought you would have picked up on that little faux pas.

Off topic is one thing, inaccurate information is not, which was provided in one post. I do like to give cruisers the right information, as far as I am able to do so.
I didn’t suggest your post was off topic .. read what I said which was ‘threads go off topic’ so my point was I could see how someone could have misunderstood and assumed you meant Rabat in Morocco regardless of what the title topic said, the Roman Villa wouldn’t have been a clue to me because although I have visited Malta it was many years ago and tbh I wouldn’t have a clue how close it was to Mdina or are you also suggesting I haven’t been there either.

If you are not ‘nit picking’ then perhaps you should make more of an effort to read what you say before posting without trying to show a bit of one-upmanship .. yes we all want to give accurate information to help others but it’s a very special person who manages to go through life without making the odd faux pas unless of course you happen to be perfect !!

BTW if I wanted to nit pick I could correct you on the spelling of Mdina, it isn’t Medina or perhaps you are getting mistaken with Medina in Saudi Arabia an easy mistake to make don’t you think !!
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

I always go for the Medina spelling (even if it's not ,right,) firstly because I've seen it on signs out there, and secondly for personal reasons.

Anyway, I hope that anyone going there has a great time and returns home with wonderful memories.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Boris+ wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:35
I always go for the Medina spelling (even if it's not ,right,) firstly because I've seen it on signs out there, and secondly for personal reasons.

Anyway, I hope that anyone going there has a great time and returns home with wonderful memories.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm sure if you hadn't someone else would :silent: I would add it was said tic as I'm not into correcting anyone's grammar as I'm sure I make plenty of mistakes myself. :wtf:
Jo

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Boris+ wrote: 17 Aug 2017, 12:35

My FIL, who is the latter stages of Alzheimer's has been talking recently about Malta, he was based there during the war, in the Royal Artillary. He has amazing memories of this time, and keeps repeating his army number etc.
He mentioned Mdina and other places, which I googled at the time...its definitely spelt Mdina.
In fact it says on Wikipedia, not to be confused with Medina or Midna

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Each to their own, eh?

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I can't say I recall seeing dual sign posting in Malta but it was a long time ago however why would they need it I think Mdina is pretty clear and I certainly wouldn't have a problem following sign posts, it's one of those words rather like flick'r you want to put an e in it even though it isn't spelt with one.
Last edited by Dancing Queen on 23 Aug 2017, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

My 'special' reason for the spelling is spelling it an 'e' was the habit of someone from Malta, who served out their in the war, but he was from an old Maltese family, and I took the spelling from him.

He was a grand old chap, and we gave him the friendship and support he deserved. Great memories.

Return to “Oceana Cruises 2017”