Cunard's rules on mobility scooters

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
topconker
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Cunard's rules on mobility scooters

Post by topconker »

As Cunarders very nearly at diamond level we've been left very disappointed they have decided I cannot take my foldaway mobility scooter on-board, unless of course we upgrade to a suite/grill.
Apparently this is down to a H&S issue but I cannot for the life of me understand their core customers are of the age group where these mobility scooters are a lifeline to their mobility and therefore enjoyment.
I've tried to speak to them but all I get is, "It's the new rule" statement.
We were on Celebrity Eclipse only 2 months ago and there was no problem taking the scooter on-board, indeed the staff helped load it for me so how can it be right that one company can suddenly bring in a rule that others deem unnecessary?
Looking forward to our cruise in a few weeks with QE but this rule will have a major impact on my ability to enjoy the days ashore.
What do others think?
I'm yet to decide whether to take my business elsewhere from no on.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cunard's rules on mobility scooters

Post by david63 »

I don't know what the exact rules are now or what they were before but it sounds as if they are now being made the same as P&O's, which have been in place for two or three years now.

I think that one of the problems is that on some ships/cruises they may have been overrun (no pun intended) by the number of scooters which can create problems - especially when some passengers insist on leaving them in the corridor outside their cabin.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

david63 wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 21:54
I don't know what the exact rules are now or what they were before but it sounds as if they are now being made the same as P&O's, which have been in place for two or three years now.

I think that one of the problems is that on some ships/cruises they may have been overrun (no pun intended) by the number of scooters which can create problems - especially when some passengers insist on leaving them in the corridor outside their cabin.
Inadequate policing of rules should never result in changes of those rules to disadvantage the law abiding passengers, but it seems that's the way P&O and Cunard want to operate.
I wonder if those same rules apply to the other main stream Carnival brands like Princess, Holland America and Carnival itself, but of course most of their passengers are Americans, who would not hesitate to "jump ship" if their liberty was infringed.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

david63 wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 21:54

Actually the ‘rule’ has been in force around 6 years for Cunard and P&O.

As I know only too well.

Just looked, the last time I was in a balcony cabin as opposed to a suite was New Year 11.

In most ships it is very difficult to store my scooter in any cabin below a mini suite as there is not enough room.

With regard to the fold away ones the company has just gone for a total ban on all scooters.
Last edited by daib GC on 15 Oct 2017, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I agree Towny that everyone should not be penalised because some do not comply.

I have seen corridors with scooters parked outside at night. That would be a real health and safety issue if there were an emergency.

So how does one police the non conformists? Put them ashore at the next port with their scooter and luggage? Confiscate the scooter? Blacklist them for future bookings? Imagine how any of that would look in the press!

Seems that neither the cruise lines nor the well behaved passengers can win in this one.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 16 Oct 2017, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Like utility and insurance companies they don't care that you have been a loyal customer and decide to go elsewhwere.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

When I've boarded at Southampton on my small mobility scooter - a Luggie - I've been immediately approached by the Special Assistance team to ensure that I'm on their list. I've then been given a label to tie onto the scooter to show that I've been authorised to board. When I booked I had to fill in a form giving all the measurements of the scooter, plus its folded weight. I can either book an accessible cabin or have a mini suite or suite - not sure if this includes the superior deluxe cabins on Aura/Ventura or not. As we usually have a mini suite this hasn't been a problem for me so I'm lucky in that respect.

I do realise you couldn't leave a scooter in the corridor, it would block it and be unsafe. I've now had a knee replacement so the scooter isn't critical for me apart from the fact that I can't walk too far and on shore I have to be careful which excursions I choose - standing for a long period isn't good either so a scooter would be very good to have ashore. Maybe, like some other lines there could be an arrangement that people who only need such a scooter ashore, the scooter could be used to board the ship but then the cruise line stow it away until the next port of call where the user could access it for ashore use only. I do agree that if there was no restriction on mobility scooters it just wouldn't be safe. There has to be some restriction, whether it could be more relaxed than it is I don't know.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 22:47
Inadequate policing of rules should never result in changes of those rules to disadvantage the law abiding passengers, but it seems that's the way P&O and Cunard want to operate.
It is not just P&O and Cunard where this happens - sadly it is the same in all walks of life these days, where the few spoil it for the many.
daib GC wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 22:59
Actually the ‘rule’ has been in force around 6 years for Cunard and P&O.
I knew that it was some years ago that it was introduced but I did not realise that it was so long ago :o - how time flies when you are enjoying yourself :D

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

A difficult one as not everyone can afford a mini suite and stowing away until going ashore is of lttle help when you rely on it all the time.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

I think that the issue is also that for many who rely on mobility scooters a cruise is probably the only type of foreign holiday that is available to them and the cruise lines seem to put more and more obstacles in the way.

I really don't know what the answer is, or if there is an answer.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Some of the cabins on some ships are so small that if one had to rely on a motor scooter all the time it would just not be possible. There would be nowhere to store it and you wouldn't be able to get round the cabin using it. Even on a suite on Ventura I found it difficult to access the cabin - I had to sort of turn right then immediately left to get into the cabin - challenged my driving skills and John couldn't hold the door open for me as there wasn't room for him and me to get past on the scooter - his foot was in danger!

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I guess when a lot of cruise ships were designed there weren't as many electric scooters around. It was all folding people-powered wheel chairs.

But the world has changed and cruising is a great holiday option for less mobile people, so maybe someone needs to come up with an idea to suit the new reality.

How about replacing an inside cabin periodically on each deck with a charging bay where half a dozen scooters could be safely stored and monitored out of harms way?
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 17 Oct 2017, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

More scooters fills me with dread.

I try not to think about it but there would, or could, potentially be utter chaos in an emergency situation as a consequence of having too many of them. Would other passengers give way to them .... I tend to think that they would not.

An alternative idea would be to have all the scooter cabins in one location and to provide a dedicated evacuation point for them all.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 14:38
An alternative idea would be to have all the scooter cabins in one location and to provide a dedicated evacuation point for them all.
That presumes that they are all in the vicinity of their cabins when there is an emergency, if not then there would be the total mayhem of them all getting back to one area of the ship.
Mervyn and Trish wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 13:59
How about replacing an inside cabin periodically on each deck with a charging bay where half a dozen scooters could be safely stored and monitored out of harms way?
The problem with that [good] idea is that there would be a loss of revenue - unless those with scooters were prepared to pay a premium.

Another idea would be for some cabins to have a "garage" where the scooter could live, and be re-charged, and is accessible from the corridor - but this would probably only be feasible on new build or on a major refit.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 15:41
Manoverboard wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 14:38
That presumes that they are all in the vicinity of their cabins when there is an emergency, if not then there would be the total mayhem of them all getting back to one area of the ship.
[
In the event of an emergency ALL passengers need to return to their cabins to collect life jackets, warm clothing and medication etc, do they not ?

They will, I suggest, then be in situ for their best chances of survival.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I had a very interesting conversation once at muster with a couple who both used scooters ok I was being nosy because I asked them if in the event of an emergency and the lifts were out of service had they got enough mobility to get to where they would need to be, as it happened they had but the interesting part was how the crew would get people from A to B if this happened, knowing this now I can understand why there are only xx number of specially adapted cabins because one would assume the people who book these are the ones who really NEED them and in the case of an emergency sufficient crew are assigned to assist them, obviously those requiring the SA cabins pay a premium because they can't 'hang on' hoping for a bargain so imo why should someone who doesn't necessarily need a scooter be able to book any cabin grade very often at a reduced price .. just because they can !! sorry I don't mean to be insensitive to anyone's disability or judge if someone does/does not need to use a scooter but certainly in the event of an emergency there would not be enough crew standing around twiddling their thumbs to help people who might need help, rules are there for a reason which isn't always because the cruise line are being difficult.

BTW the couple I was talking to had jumped ship from P&O to Cunard because of the change of rule re scooters it was about 6 months later Cunard brought the same ruling in.
Jo

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 16:27
In the event of an emergency ALL passengers need to return to their cabins to collect life jackets, warm clothing and medication etc, do they not ?
Only if it is practical, feasible and possible

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 16:30
Manoverboard wrote: 17 Oct 2017, 16:27
Only if it is practical, feasible and possible
Exactly ... and most emergencies will be of the controlled variety, anything else and everybody drowns.

Topic author
topconker
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by topconker »

Lots of interesting and considerate replies.
My need, and I suspect others. for the scooter is for excursions ashore rather than general movement around the ship, and I'm afraid to say the exclusion means my, and my wife's, visits ashore will be seriously impeded.
I totally agree with others to say the scooters should always be kept in the cabins and not in the corridors for safety reasons and as in all these things a few people by their actions have spoilt things for the majority.
Shame.

Return to “Cunard”