Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh on Aurora

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Dennis The Menace wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 17:27

The entertainment was Manuel Martinez. Surprise surprise my ‘stalker’ has found me again. I just knew we wouldn’t get away with this cruise without him making an appearance. I am sure that with the well travelled passengers on this cruise that at least 90% of passengers have seen him on numerous occasions as he just flits from one ship to another.

Hi Meg, good to see you. This is just referring to Manuel Martinez appearing on just about every cruise Sue goes on :!:
Last edited by Dennis The Menace on 09 Feb 2018, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

He certainly gets around. We have seen him many times.
Gill

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Dennis The Menace wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 13:55
Dennis The Menace wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 17:27

The entertainment was Manuel Martinez. Surprise surprise my ‘stalker’ has found me again. I just knew we wouldn’t get away with this cruise without him making an appearance. I am sure that with the well travelled passengers on this cruise that at least 90% of passengers have seen him on numerous occasions as he just flits from one ship to another.

Hi Meg, good to see you. This is just referring to Manuel Martinez appearing on just about every cruise Sue goes on :!:
thank you
Meg
x

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

I'm on the same cruise as Sue. My husband went to the Casablanca Winery trip in San Antonio and was able to bring back wine he bought while on the trip. When I asked about this on board I was told that it only applies to cruises that start from February 1st and not those that were already in progress. As our cruise doesn't have sectors, well not as far as passengers leaving and joining go anyway, there's no passengers joining the ship after February 1st. The ships seems to have divided the trips into sectors as far as accounts are concerned, got our second one this morning and also got the next list of dress codes for the rest of the cruise.
John left the ship this morning to go on the 3 night Machu Picchu trip. He rejoins the ship in Manta on Tuesday. A few days ago after there was a meeting of the people going - 46 John was told - I got a letter saying how pleased the Tour guide was to meet me and attached were more details of the trip. Well nothing was attached and I'm not going on the trip. I said that John should go and make sure the Tours office had got it right, I didn't want him to get his airline ticket this morning in my name. The invitation to the meeting was sent to him and the actual tour ticket was in his name. So he went and saw them and yes it was fine. Well no it wasn't apparently. I got a text half way through this morning to say that there had been a hold up as the airline ticket was in my name!! Honestly!! As Callao was surrounded by fog this morning the flight was delayed anyway. I did later get another text to say that they'd arrived in Cusco.
We seem to have been lucky as far as the virus or whatever it is as neither John nor I have had it - touching wood as I type. We're really enjoying the trip. Have had a couple of excellent meals in The Glasshouse and ate in the Beach House last night, I enjoyed the Lava Rock steak but I find a lot of the menu is too spicy for me or has cheese involved which I don't eat. On our second visit to the Glasshouse I had the Very Berry pudding trio which was absolutely scrumptious! I wouldn't mind going one evening for just a starter and that dessert. We enjoyed the puddings with that particular option on it much more than the other. John had I think the Asian Fusion puddings which he didn't rate very highly. Agree with Sue about Manuel Martinez, we've seen him more than once. Didn't go to see him this time.
When we left Arica, day before yesterday, there was an amazing dance display by locals on the dockside just before we left. It went on quite a long time and it was really hot, lots of feathered head dresses and lots of music, really good.

Carole

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Nice to hear from you Carole, and pleased you are having such a good time.
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I was wondering how you were both getting on. Pleased you are enjoying the cruise.

Lindsey

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all,
As Carole has posted bringing the wine or whatever on board is fine for this cruise. At sea today and enjoying the peace and quiet of the aft deck. We will be in Manta Ecuador tomorriw which is our final South American port.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

It’s another long one as I haven’t been able to get internet in the Ports of call.

Wednesday 7 February- Sea Day to Arica
I had another good session in the exercise class and when I returned to the cabin room service had delivered my breakfast. I am having a few days off Main dining room breakfast to try to slow down the increase I keep seeing on the scales and the tightness of my clothes. Another top went back in the case last night as although I could get it on the Pilsbury dough man look was not good.

By 10 a.m. I was on the aft deck and although some cloud, the sun was hot and it wasn’t long before the clouds had been dealt with. The temperature was mid 20s so perfect for a lazy sea day. I spotted a pod of whales blowing in the distance but did very little all morning other than read and catch up with Facebook. My butler delivered a chicken salad to my sun bed followed by a fruit salad. Unfortunately he spoilt my diet day by turning up mid afternoon with an almond magnum. He is feeling slightly better but has now torn a muscle with his incessant coughing.

John Bartram announced that there was a problem with the sound and lights in the Curzon theatre and it is out of use for shows until it is sorted. This means that my stalker Manuel Martinez is the main entertainment on offer tonight in the Carmens show lounge. Pingxin Xu was supposed to perform in the theatre but his 140 string powerful instrument had not arrived, and even if it had the Curzon theatre was out of use.

Later in the afternoon John Bartram announced that the theatre had stood two rehearsals and that the Headliners would perform ‘We will meet again ‘ in the theatre.
This must be the oldest show of their repertoire and is set at the end of World War 2.

We decided to have a drink in the Pennant Bar after dinner. The sun was still out and it was a lovely evening even though we felt out of place in our formal wear , as this is one of the bars on the ships where casual wear is acceptable on formal night.

Unfortunately the soot came down and only when we were leaving did Garry notice that it had dropped onto his white dinner jacket. The magic bar of Vanish soap appears to have worked and dry cleaning will hopefully bring the rest out.

Tomorrow we are in Arica.

Thursday 8 February - Arica, Chile
Arica is the most Northern port in Chile being situated only 12 miles from the Peruvian border. It is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Andes Mountains and the Atacama Desert.

We docked in a Commercial Port and could see the desert close by. It was extremely hot as we are now at latitude 18 degrees South. Garry was still unwell and went to see the doctor again. The doctor confirmed that the antibiotics were working and gave him strong painkillers for the pulled muscle in his side.

He decided that he would get off for a short time and have a look around the town. We considered a local trip at 20 US Dollars but decided against it as the minimum time was 3 hours and he wouldn’t have been comfortable in the transport that looked like bone shakers.

The town is overlooked by El Moro which is a huge rock and is a national monument. The only way to the top is by walking, which Garry was not up to, but the panoramic views are apparently stunning of the port and coast as well as the desert and surrounding hills. There was a small craft market close by in the plaza and the Cathedral overlooked the tree lined plaza. Most of the town was pedestrianised. It had a typical Spanish feel to it and the locals were friendly.

We wandered around stopping regularly to chat to other passengers before finding a watering hole for a local beer. The waiter directed us to the nearest supermarket where we bought a few cabin supplies. By this time Garry needed to get back to the ship to rest. We passed a money exchange place and changed our unused pesos into dollars.

Lots of passengers were making there way back to the shuttle bus as it was extremely hot. I did consider going back out again to explore further but in the end stayed on the aft deck in the sun - it wasn’t long before the heat drove me back inside the air conditioned cabin.

We got ready for dinner, but it was obvious that Garry really wasn’t well enough to spend 90 minutes at the dinner table. We stayed in and I ordered room service for him and I went to the dreaded buffet. At least now I have no expectations of the food being any more than edibIe so I wasn’t disappointed. The soup was gloopy and only lukewarm so was left. The chicken fajita was the same so I decided not to risk eating that. I chose a Salad which I took back to the cabin with a desert for Garry which didn’t get eaten either. Hopefully tomorrow he will be well enough to go to the Main Dining Room. I really should be losing weight, but with the amount of Whiskey I am drinking to keep the bugs away it is unlikely.

The evening entertainment was the 4 tunes in the theatre and something called Dance Explosion in Carmens with the entertainment team. It was the 4 tunes last show before they depart but no doubt I will see them again in the future.

We have a relaxing sea day tomorrow.

Friday 9 February - Sea Day to Lima, Peru
The clocks went back an hour last night and we are now 4 hours behind UK time. Garry had a better nights sleep but he is still coughing like a 50 a day Capstan full strength smoker and he has never smoked.

I went to the 7 a.m exercise class which was full to bursting and my room service breakfast was waiting for me when I returned to the cabin.

The sun was on the aft deck with a pleasant early morning sea breeze and that’s where I stayed all morning only interrupted by the mandatory muster drill where this time we didn’t need to take our life jackets. It was a short drill and, once the stragglers who think that 10 a.m. means 10 minutes past 10 arrived, the Captain gave his emergency drill instructions.

At the end of the drill he announced that there had been an itinerary change and that our call to Martinique ( Here I was wishing and praying and hoping for a split second that our call there had been changed back to the original port of call St Maarten). No such luck, as the Captain gleefully announced that he had managed to secure an extra nights berth in Martinique and we will now be there for two days. There was no cheer as you can imagine, why oh why couldn’t it have been Barbados or actually any of our other ports of call rather than the French port. I am trying to be positive about it and will now try to see the other side of the island on the 2 nd day there. I have planned a beach day for the first day. I am also hoping that, as P & O are calling there regularly now, that the locals will be much friendlier than they were the last time we visited here.

I went back to the aft deck and only left when the peace and quiet was shattered because they were holding the 'build a ship on a ship' competition there. By then I had had enough sun anyway.

Garry felt well enough to have dinner in the Main Dining room which was excellent. We had a walk around the deck as the temperature is just right once the sun has gone down, then decided to go back to the cabin. We didn’t miss much entertainment wise as the Headliners were repeating the show Fantasy, which they did both on the New Year cruise and again earlier this cruise. It is a good show but I didn’t want to see it 3 times in 6 weeks. Pingxin Xu was in Carmens, so his 140 string instrument had obviously turned up and Ed Sobey the lecturer was doing Science tricks in Masquerade.

The TV in the cabin isn’t great but it beats the entertainment on offer.

Tomorrow we are in Lima and I have a full day trip booked. The clocks go back another hour tonight. I love these 25 hour days.

Sunday 11 February - 1st Sea day to Manta
I was awake very early again as Garry made a coffee at what he thought was 6 a.m. but was actually only 5 a.m.

Today was the start of the third and last sector of the cruise albeit a longer sector than the previous two.

I went to the early morning exercise Class where the main topic of conversation was once again the inept Entertainment Department. The majority of the passengers who attend this early class also attend all the other classes in the gym. For the first time this cruise, a dancersize class had been organised in Carmens but it was scheduled for the same time as the stretch class in the gym. Oops someone has dropped a clanger.

There is still no sign of the Battle of the sexes returning and another inane gameshow had taken the 12 noon spot in Masquerades. Thank goodness I have the sun to keep me entertained. I did consider going to listen to the lecture on the Panama Canal but couldn’t drag myself away from the globe in the sky. My butler brought me a poached salmon salad for lunch and a fruit salad both from the Grab & Go.

Lots of Dolphins put on various displays during the day and there were a few sightings of whales.

It was the 10 th of 16 formal nights on this cruise. Unfortunately Garry wasn’t feeling well enough to go to dinner, but as he wanted leaving in peace I joined our friends for dinner before going back to the cabin.

The entertainment in the Curzon theatre was Kenny Martin playing a variety of musical instruments which didn’t appeal, or a Black Tie Ball in Carmens.

Another Relaxing Sea day tomorrow.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Love reading your reports Sue and thanks to DTM for tendering operations.

One question what happened to Saturday 10th for Lima ?

Lindsey

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Well spotted Lindsey, my fault not a tendering error will sort this now.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Saturday 10 February - Lima, Peru
The clocks had gone back another hour and we are now 5 hours behind UK time.

I had an early trip to Pachacamac Ruins and Horses so I ordered room service. Anyone up as early as me would have been shocked to see at 5 a.m. as I was on the aft deck in swim wear liberally spraying myself with Jungle Strength Deet to ward off the Mossies we had been warned were out to suck our blood.

Market stall s were being set up on the port side and it was a warm morning but still dark. The port was once again a Commercial port and a shuttle was required to get to the port gate but we had been warned against going out on our own. There was also a shuttle service into Lima which was estimated to take an hour each way.

Garry was staying on board to recuperate which wasn’t too much hardship as it was a Saturday with football on the TV. He had decided to cancel the trip so as not to pass on any infection but he needn’t have bothered as so many of the passengers on my coach were coughing & spluttering that he may as well have joined them.

I was on the first of 4 coaches doing the same trip and I had a lovely solo seat on the coach with bags of leg room in front and bag room to the side. I was so happy not to have to sit next to one of the coughers and I spent much of the day avoiding them,

It was only about 20 minutes to our first stop in Lima which was the Inca museum. I am not that ‘into’ museums and our guide Milli certainly gave us information overload. I just couldn’t take it all in and I began to wander off to look at the displays on my own. It was a well set out modern museum and Milli certainly knew her subject well and was very enthusiastic about sharing her knowledge about the way the Incas lived, what they ate, how the medics of the day performed successful brain surgery, and of course how they were buried and the type of garments they were buried wrapped in. Apparently in death you took everything you needed in life to do your job into your after life to continue it there. No retirement for the Incas then! Some of the tapestry’s were remarkable especially as the many hours of work on them were only done to be buried with the deceased.

Our next stop was the Pachacamac Ruins. These were completely unexpected and were huge. I had thought it was a walking tour of the ruins but in fact it was a coach tour with photograph stops with a lengthy explanation of what we were seeing from the enthusiastic Milli.
It was fascinating to see the archeological digs and the huge pyramids they had found. There are still many acres of the sandy areas to dig and lots more artefacts and bodies to be found but funding is the problem and they are now only digging for projects. It was very sandy and hot even though there was little direct sunlight.

The final stop was the Mamacona Ranch where we saw a fabulous Peruvian horse show with traditional dancers. We were seated and offered the local drink of Pisco Sour and some snacks. The horses and dancers took their turn to entertain us but the youngest foal only 2 weeks old stole the show and our hearts. Afterwards we were invited to a buffet lunch at the owners ranch where wine or soft drinks were served. The food was excellent and I joined a table that were up for a laugh. The wine waiter was a bit of a hunk and when I said he was ‘ muy guapo’ he looked after our table very well. We had some time after the meal to look around the fabulous gardens and to see and pet the horses if they would let us.

The return journey was slower than the outward one because of traffic the beach areas were crowded as it was a Saturday and that was the reason for the congestion.

We were back at the ship earlier than the estimated time and I went back to the cabin and persuaded Garry to come and look at the port side market. They were doing good business and we bought a couple of silver chains and some souvenirs.

The evening entertainment was limited as it was a late night port. There was a Peruvian Dance troupe in the Curzon lounge and a dance date in Carmens.

We now have 2 sea days before we reach Manta Ecuador.
Last edited by Suekersh on 12 Feb 2018, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Ooops, well spotted Lindsey (and you're very welcome 😀), here's the missing day :

Saturday 10 February - Lima, Peru
The clocks had gone back another hour and we are now 5 hours behind UK time.

I had an early trip to Pachacamac Ruins and Horses so I ordered room service. Anyone up as early as me would have been shocked to see me at 5 a.m. as I was on the aft deck in swim wear liberally spraying myself with Jungle Strength Deet to ward off the Mossies we had been warned were out to suck our blood.

Market stalls were being set up on the port side and it was a warm morning but still dark. The port was once again a Commercial port and a shuttle was required to get to the port gate but we had been warned against going out on our own. There was also a shuttle service into Lima which was estimated to take an hour each way.

Garry was staying on board to recuperate which wasn’t too much hardship as it was a Saturday with football on the TV. He had decided to cancel the trip so as not to pass on any infection, but he needn’t have bothered as so many of the passengers on my coach were coughing & spluttering that he may as well have joined them.

I was on the first of 4 coaches doing the same trip and I had a lovely solo seat on the coach with bags of leg room in front and bag room to the side. I was so happy not to have to sit next to one of the coughers and I spent much of the day avoiding them.

It was only about 20 minutes to our first stop in Lima which was the Inca museum. I am not that ‘into’ museums and our guide Milli certainly gave us information overload. I just couldn’t take it all in and I began to wander off to look at the displays on my own. It was a well set out modern museum and Milli certainly knew her subject well. She was very enthusiastic about sharing her knowledge about the way the Incas lived, what they ate, how the medics of the day performed successful brain surgery, and of course how they were buried, and the type of garments they were buried wrapped in. Apparently in death you took everything you needed in life to do your job into your afterlife to continue it there. No retirement for the Incas then! Some of the tapestry’s were remarkable especially as the many hours of work on them were only done to be buried with the deceased.

Our next stop was the Pachacamac Ruins. These were completely unexpected and were huge. I had thought it was a walking tour of the ruins but in fact it was a coach tour with photograph stops, with a lengthy explanation of what we were seeing from the enthusiastic Milli. It was fascinating to see the archeological digs and the huge pyramids they had found. There are still many acres of the sandy areas to dig, and lots more artefacts and bodies to be found, but funding is the problem and they are now only digging for projects. It was very sandy and hot even though there was little direct sunlight.

The final stop was the Mamacona Ranch where we saw a fabulous Peruvian horse show with traditional dancers. We were seated and offered the local drink of Pisco Sour and some snacks. The horses and dancers took their turn to entertain us but the youngest foal, only 2 weeks old, stole the show and our hearts. Afterwards we were invited to a buffet lunch at the owners ranch where wine or soft drinks were served. The food was excellent and I joined a table that were up for a laugh. The wine waiter was a bit of a hunk and when I said he was ‘ muy guapo’ he looked after our table very well. We had some time after the meal to look around the fabulous gardens and to see and pet the horses if they would let us.

The return journey was slower than the outward one because of traffic. The beach areas were crowded as it was a Saturday and that was the reason for the congestion.

We were back at the ship earlier than the estimated time and I went back to the cabin and persuaded Garry to come and look at the port side market. They were doing good business and we bought a couple of silver chains and some souvenirs.

The evening entertainment was limited as it was a late night port. There was a Peruvian Dance troupe in the Curzon lounge and a dance date in Carmens.

We now have 2 sea days before we reach Manta Ecuador.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Thanks DTM

Thought you would like to know that some of us do really read these reports and I may say really enjoy them.
With the weather here it makes light relief.
I should really cheer up as am on the Oriana in a few weeks to the Canaries hopefully for a little sunshine.

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Hear hear! Every morning I hope there's been an update. They are well-written, funny, informative and hugely enjoyable.

Many thanks, Sue and DTM.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Whynd1 wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 08:17
Thanks DTM

Thought you would like to know that some of us do really read these reports and I may say really enjoy them.
I should really cheer up as am on the Oriana in a few weeks to the Canaries hopefully for a little sunshine.
Hi Lindsey,

Enjoy your Oriana cruise to Canaries. We are on the one departing 8 May to the Canaries on Oriana.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

anniec wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 10:30
Hear hear! Every morning I hope there's been an update. They are well-written, funny, informative and hugely enjoyable.

me too! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Meg
x

rita17
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by rita17 »

Another one here really enjoying your reports Sue. In fact my geography is improving as I have got the World Atlas out to follow you around.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Whynd1 wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 08:17
Thanks DTM

Well, you get the gold star Lindsey :D Out of the two forums and two Facebook groups that's following Sue's blogs, you were the only one to spot the missing day :thumbup:

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

anniec wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 10:30

I only do the easy bit Annie, but you're welcome :D

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Monday 12 February- 2 nd Sea Day to Manta.

Another very lazy sea day as we creep ever closer to the equator. After my usual exercise class and a breakfast of Eggs Benedict I found my spot in the sun on the aft deck and stayed there. Lots of Dolphins showing off their talents and a shark / tuna (debatable) as well as a distant whale were seen.

At 1 p.m. the laid back aft deck became a frenzy of action as the Pancake race started. The music was so loud which was intentional to wake people up as it was 6 crew versus 6 passengers. It took them a while to persuade anyone to join in and I wasn’t leaving my sun bed to run around tossing pancakes in 30 degrees heat. Thankfully if didn’t last long and peace returned to the aft deck. The passengers won and were each given a much sought after stamp to add to their collection. Apparently stickers are no more and a stamp is now all the ‘rage’.

Garry was feeling well enough for us to eat at the Beach House. It was a lovely meal sat outside watching the sunset. I asked for my seafood to be lightly cooked but the head waiter came over and said that Health regulations wouldn’t allow them to serve it undercooked. I explained I didn’t want it overcooked and we both settled on perfectly cooked. It was, and it was a delicious mixture of lobster, squid, prawns and monkfish and a side salad. Garry had the salmon cooked on a cedar wood plank.

We had missed some of the entertainment and didn’t like the sound of The Totties so decided we would wait to see what other passengers thought, and go to their second show in a few days if the verdict was good.

Tomorrow we are in Manta Ecuador.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

I'm chuckling DTM

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Pleased that Garry is feeling better Sue.
You will hardly have time to unpack and get settled before you are off again.

Lindsey

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Some weekend reading folks 😀:

Tuesday 13 February - Manta Ecuador
It took a while for the Captain to dock the ship as we crept into port avoiding the many fishing vessels.

The main subject of conversation at breakfast was the dreadful act from last night ‘The Totties’. Thank goodness we gave it a miss. There has been so many dreadful Cabaret acts on this cruise but apparently these top the list by a long way. They managed to clear a good percentage of the audience with many leaving within the first few minutes. Where do P & O dig these ‘never even has beens’ up. Stephani Parker the Diva in Carmens the Show Lounge got the thumbs up but she was too loud and in the wrong venue, she should have been in the theatre according to popular opinion.

Shrove Tuesday and not a pancake insight at breakfast. Glancing at the Horizon showed that there was a Pancake Parlour from noon until 2 p.m. - great planning when 3/4 of the ship would be on shore . Surely this should have been organised for 3 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. to coincide with afternoon tea.

This is the Tuna Capital of the world with many canning factories located here. It is called Ecuador as it is located less than 0.5 of a degree south of the equator. To be honest the port area is a bit of a dump and the town itself not much better.

The port had laid on a shuttle bus to a Mall close by which was also opposite the huge beach, on to the local craft market then completed the loop back at the ship.

Our main intention was to get some fast wi-fi to sort Garry’s ipad problem out but despite the wi-fi at the mall working fine for me, it still would not accept Garry’s password. The local shop selling Apple products put him onto a faster signal but still no luck.

We wandered over to the beach area and took our life in our hands crossing the very busy road. It was a public holiday and the beach was packed with locals. We were looking for a particular restaurant which had been recommended on Trip Advisor when we heard Denise shout out Sue! from a local bar which turned out to be the one we were looking for. She had chosen it because the seats looked comfortable.

We ordered a beer for me and coke for Garry who was still not feeling 100% . It had excellent wi-fi and Garry managed to sort his ipad out. I checked out the lunch menu. My intention was to have a tuna steak in the tuna capital of the world. No such luck it wasn’t even mentioned on the menu, other than in croquettes as a starter. Plenty of other fish but no tuna. I settled on a seafood kebab which was delicious. Not as huge as last nights one in the Beach House but fresh and cooked to perfection. I didn’t rate the fried plantain that came with it but the fish kebab on its own was plenty for lunch. Garry ordered the tuna croquettes and I sampled one of those but I was pleased with what I had ordered.

Fed & watered (well beered) we took our life in our hands again and crossed the busy road back to the shuttle bus to go to the craft market. Our men were so busy talking that they hadn’t realised we had got separated crossing the road. Luckily a friendly policeman stopped the traffic to allow us to catch up with them.

The Panama Hat originated in Ecuador in Montecristi and they are still made there today. They got the name Panama because the workmen building the Panama Canal all wore them. The craft market was full of them and our guide had told us how to spot the good ones from the rubbish. I bought one, as did Brian. There were lots of brightly coloured jewellery about and souvenir stalls. It had a nice feel to it with lots of upmarket stalls. We bought some local coffee beans and other souvenirs, but Garry had had enough as it was extremely hot and humid so we made our way back to the shuttle bus and the ship.

We met Denise and Brian for dinner and had our usual table with the best waiters, Christian and Jesse, along with the best wine waiter, Wilson. Enrich, one the food & Beverage officers, came by our table to chat and I told him that the best bit of this ship was the food and ambience at dinner.

The evening entertainment was Kenny Martyn's second show playing his clarinet, a dance date in Carmens but Garry still isn’t well enough for the dance floor, we couldn’t even go to the cinema as they had put a classical concert in there with a piano playing duo.

Tomorrow is a Sea Day before we start transiting the Panama Canal on Thursday.

Wednesday 14 February - Sea Day to Panama Canal.
Valentines Day started very cloudy and breezy but still very warm. We had Room Service Breakfast who also supplied a large Ice bucket for our bottle of Pink Champagne. Garry was feeling much better after a good nights sleep as his cough, although not gone completely, is much improved.

Butler duties can now recommence, starting this morning with the washing. I did a bit of ironing then went onto the aft deck to see if the sun was going to burn off the clouds.
I had a lazy sea day reading.

The Manager Cruise special voucher had arrived which allowed the purchase of duty free alcohol for in cabin drinking. I checked our stocks which were quite healthy and decided not to bother queuing for a bottle of gin, which I will get cheaper in the Caribbean. I am sure I can eek out the 1/2 bottle left until then.

The gym ladies had been to reception to complain about the Dancercise class clashing with the stretch class but I noticed this had still not been moved from its 9:15 slot. Their complaints obviously fell on deaf ears.

The port talk today was on Martinique which, as we have two days to fill here, I should have gone to listen to. I will catch up with it later on the in cabin TV. I prefer to be in the fresh air rather than in the theatre with everyone coughing and spluttering around me. There are no signs that the ships illness is abating as it is passed on to other passengers. I have been very lucky not to succumb so far and I think the vast amount of whisky I have drunk has helped that. In yesterday’s Horizon there was a message reminding everyone to use handkerchiefs or hands to cover their mouths when coughing. It really shouldn’t be necessary to give everyone this advice but the amount of people you see not covering their mouth is frightening.

The afternoon entertainment in Carmens was the Totties. I guess that having contracted them for 2 shows they had to use them some where. I had intended to go to see if they were as bad as people had made out but didn’t. Denise did, and fed back that you couldn’t get into Carmens as everyone stood by the door ready for a quick getaway. After 5 minutes the back had cleared again. To be fair I did speak to a lady at the gym who had enjoyed it, but then spoke to many more who hadn’t.

It was our 11th formal night of the cruise and unusually for a Valentines night on the ship it wasn’t Red & White night, but as most regular cruises had presumed it would be, that was the predominant colour worn. Perhaps we don’t need an entertainment team at all and the passengers could make their own cruise up.

The evening entertainment was Stephani Parker who was in the Curzon performing Whitney Houston numbers. In parts she was excellent but far too American for a predominately British ship. She virtually started preaching and tried to get everyone up standing by coming down from the stage and shaking hands then pulling them up off the seat. She really should have been told by the entertainment team that the Brits are different and, whilst in Las Vegas it goes down a storm, her act tonight went down like a lead balloon. Such a shame because when she toned it down she had a great voice.

Valentines Black Tie Ball was held in Carmens and although we had planned to go for a while Garry just wasn’t up to it.

Tomorrow we transit the Panama Canal.

Thursday 15 February - Panama Canal Transit.
It was an early start as the pilot boarded at 6 a.m. but I did do the early morning exercise class. This is the only gym of the fleet where you do not have a view outside. By the time I returned to the cabin the transit had commenced and we had sailed under the Bridge Of the Americas. Last year on Arcadia we transited East to West , and this year it is West to East. It is 11 years since we first transited the Panama Canal and then it was also West to East.

There was a commentary from the Bridge throughout the transit and the twitchers were out in force on the aft deck. It was a beautiful sunny day with a sea breeze to keep the temperatures bearable. We could see a huge container ship transiting the new part of the Panama Canal which opened in 2015. The original canal opened in August 1914.
The 1 st set of locks were the Miraflores which has two chambers and is near the port of Balboa, where Aurora was raised 54 ft to allow us to sail into the Miraflores man-made lake, followed by the single chamber lock called Pedro Miguel where Aurora was lifted 31 ft, the height of the Gatun Lake. We passed under the Centennial Bridge then onwards through the Galliard Cut to the massive Gatun Lake just in time for lunch.

There was a BBQ on deck which meant that there was no Grab & Go salads. I didn’t want the BBQ - as past experience of the BBQ has been long queues for luke warm food - or the dreaded buffet, so I opted for room service. There is a charge for this, but so worth it as I couldn’t be bothered to get dressed to go down to the dining room for lunch. We opened a bottle of Rose wine and enjoyed the views before going back onto the aft deck for the final part of the transit.

The final stage was the three chamber Gatun lock which lowered Aurora 85 ft to the level of the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea. The pilot departed Aurora around 5 p.m. when the Captain announced that we were through the Canal with just the usual few bumps and scrapes. I only felt one of them. The cost of the transit for Aurora was $399,000 .

During dinner the sea got very rough just as the Captain had warned it would. Aurora was moving about a lot, juddering and lurching.

The entertainment in the theatre was the resident group Caravan who are excellent and I would have liked to go and listen to them, but the theatre is right at the front of the ship where the ship was moving the most so we gave it a miss.

Tomorrow we are in Cartagena, Columbia which is a new port for us.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I hope Garry continues to improve.
Gill

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

West -east / east - west. Gets me confused. Not really but I always found it funny when I was at school that ascyou circumnavigate in a westerly direction, you go easterly through the canal.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”