A question for the forum's Cunard aficionados

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

A question for the forum's Cunard aficionados

Post by emjay45 »

After a disappointing cruise in 2016, we decided to take a break from cruising. This year we are trying Cunard's QE for a change. We've booked a Q4 for myself, husband and our son, and also a balcony cabin next door for our son because he does like his own space. I've been looking at YouTube videos and photos people have put online and I see we have a sofa but no armchairs in a Q4. I've since seen photos of a Q6 cabin, it seems more spacious and not only has a sofa but also 2 armchairs. Since our son spends time in our cabin as well as his own, would I have been better booking a Q6? It also looks as if a Q6 has proper wardrobes which I would much prefer to walk in wardrobes.

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Re: A question for the forum's Cunard aficionados

Post by wolfie »

I think that you have answered your own question, emjay. ;)

It's obvious that you would prefer, and your needs better addressed, by trying to change your booking to a Q6.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

QE is a lovely ship I don’t think you will be disappointed, unfortunately the Q4 suites do not have armchairs, sorry I can’t can’t help regarding would you have been better booking a Q6 as we have only ever booked Q3 or Q4 however all the Q6’s are at the aft as far as I’m aware so it would depend if you like a cabin in this area, GillD might be able to advise better than me as I believe she has had one of these cabins.

Ask away if you have any other questions and I will help if I can.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We do prefer the Q6/Q5 cabins. They are a lot more spacious and have larger balconies overlooking the wake - which we really like. You do have one large room as opposed to the distinct sitting/bedroom feel to the Q3/Q4s if this matters to you, and you do feel movement a little more, but not as much as when forward. It isn’t as much of a problem to us as it is to others.

The problem you will have, I suspect, is that the Q6/Q5 cabins are bizarrely cheaper (normally) than Q4/Q3 and changing to something cheaper is generally not permitted. But why not call Cunard, or your TA if you booked through one and ask.

I hope you are able to arrange a swap if you decide the aft cabins look more suitable for you. Good luck.
Gill

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Thank you all for your replies. I think perhaps a Q5/Q6 is something to consider if we book again with Cunard. I assumed the higher the grade the larger the cabin. :roll: Unfortunately for our cruise all the Q5/Q6's are now sold out. I don't think the movement would be a problem for us. We've had the Penthouse at the front of the Aurora and that had plenty of movement. We've also been at the back on the Oceana and that was even worse for movement. ;)

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Emjay. The cabins at the stern used to be a higher grade, a Q4 I think, because they were considered more desirable, but because of the movement, they were regraded to the lowest QG cabins.

Personally, we think they’re the best - for us anyway - apart from the Q1/2 which we haven’t been fortunate enough to experience - yet!
Gill

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Some of Cunard's cabin categories are a bit difficult to understand.

The best 'normal' balcony cabins on QE and QV are, IMHO, on deck 4 (longer balconies, cabin same size as on other decks). The fore and aft cabins on deck 4 are the cheapest non-obstructed view cabins on the ship (some forward balconies on 4 have metal fronts, but I quite like these).

One deck above, on 5, they are more expensive, but are smaller, dark, and dingy.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

emjay45 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 10:08
Thank you all for your replies. I think perhaps a Q5/Q6 is something to consider if we book again with Cunard. I assumed the higher the grade the larger the cabin. :roll: Unfortunately for our cruise all the Q5/Q6's are now sold out. I don't think the movement would be a problem for us. We've had the Penthouse at the front of the Aurora and that had plenty of movement. We've also been at the back on the Oceana and that was even worse for movement. ;)
Wow !! the Penthouse suites on Aurora are lovely, we were lucky enough to be invited for drinks in one of them, all that space I bet you didn't want to leave it to go home :thumbup:
Jo

Topic author
emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Dancing Queen wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 12:11

Wow !! the Penthouse suites on Aurora are lovely, we were lucky enough to be invited for drinks in one of them, all that space I bet you didn't want to leave it to go home :thumbup:
It is a fabulous cabin but after 100+ days I was still always happy to go home. ;)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

With a lot of cabins on various lines the subtleties of gradings are sometimes hard to understand. But I guess the operators have the advantage of the supply and demand stats and adjust grades accordingly. What we see as better cabins may be judged differently by others.

topconker
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by topconker »

Can someone explain to me what Q4 etc means?
TC

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

topconker wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 13:28
Can someone explain to me what Q4 etc means?
TC
Queen’s Grill 4 these are all suites. On Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth, Queen’s Grill has cabins ranging from type 1 - the largest and most expensive - to Q6 - the leastexpensive, but not actually the smallest.

Then there are Princess Grill PG cabins (mini suites) Britnania Club cabins and Britannia cabins. Each category has their own restaurant.
Last edited by GillD46 on 16 Apr 2018, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

topconker
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by topconker »

Thank you. :D

Return to “Cunard”