Baltic cruise

Cruising destinations in Europe

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Baltic cruise

Post by Kendhni »

We are soon to set off from Southampton for a cruise around the Baltic area taking in
- Copenhagen,
- Helsinki,
- Skagen,
- St Petersburg (overnight)
- Stockholm
- Talinn
- Warnemunde
This is a cruise that we would not normally have picked, but there is a particular reason for doing it, and I know it is a favourite cruise for many people.

We have something sorted for St Petersburg but are stumped for the other ports. I don't want to be sitting on buses every day and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any of the other ports especially which ones are easy to do by simply walking off the ship and dandering about for a few hours.

Thanks for any suggestions.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Re: Baltic cruise

Post by sunseeker16 »

Well, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm and Tallin are all good ports for walking off ship and dandering for a few hours - pretty much our favourite occupation too. That’s assuming you dock ‘in town’ in Stockholm. I haven’t been to the other two.

I’d say head for the Gamla Stan/m in Stockholm but there are lots of lovely things to see all over the place. We liked that Helsinki and Tallin offer home produced tourist momentos, rather than Chinese made tat.

I hope other people may have more constructive suggestions - mine is just follow your nose and see what you find. Have a great time

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Copenhagen - we walked from the ship past the (very) little mermaid, down the picturesque canal bit - through the main street to Tivoli Gardens, round the gardens and back. An easy walk and almost impossible to get lost!

- Helsinki - Shuttle into town (only place we ever had to pay for a shuttle in the pre saver fare options days). The shuttle stops at the station. We walked in the wrong direction... but once turned round and going the right way the market on the waterfront and both \cathedrals are an easy walk.

- Skagen - dunno!

- St Petersburg (overnight) - you're sorted....

- Stockholm - we were tendered in a Nynashalm so had to do Stockholm on your own - which basically was a shuttle bus cos it didn't matter what bus you got back. The sights were easily walkable from the drop off point.

- Talinn - was the best port. Shuttle into town, then walked up to the top and back through the main square.

- Warnemunde - dunno
Meg
x

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

warnemunde is ideal port for just getting of walking down the high street loads of shops and coffee houses ending up at the beach we had a lovely time there one of our favourite ports

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

.... at the time I wrote;

Warnemunde, Germany
Thought this lovely seaside destination was going to be a bit of a damp squid but we were quite wrong about that. Had breakfast and caught the local train to Rostock. Headed for the old town with Cathedral and ye olde houses etc to match. Walked about there for a few hours and then headed downhill to the river to return to Warnemunde via a lovely river boat ride. Back in Warnemunde centre we had a bowl of garlic prawns with crusty bread and a bottle of Riesling for lunch (last port and had a pile of Euros left over) and then we walked around the town. Back to the ship for a sleep ...... great day.

ps ... the Railway Station is a short walk, set off early-ish to be in time for a double decker express train to Rostock.

Last edited by Manoverboard on 14 Apr 2018, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

The Vasa Museum in Stockholm is well worth a visit. You can comfortably walk there or get a tram.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

In Stockholm use the hoho boat,which you can get just near where the ship docks. Loved the Abba museum.
Lots of places are pay by card only as Stockholm is aiming to be a cashless society.

We loved the Baltic cruise so much we have, booked to go again next year.

Finker
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Finker »

If you can have a meal at one of the restaurants at Nyhavn Copenhagen. Good food plus atmosphere.

Just wonderful.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Whynd1 wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 15:44
Lots of places are pay by card only as Stockholm is aiming to be a cashless society.
Except for the toilets - make sure you have some coins
Finker wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 16:43
If you can have a meal at one of the restaurants at Nyhavn Copenhagen. Good food plus atmosphere.
... plus a big hole in your bank account :roll: :roll:

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will start looking into these ... roll on June :)

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Just to add, Warnemunde is a bit of an unexpected gem.

We had one of our best sailaways ever from Warnemunde. As the lines were let go, the port officials opened the port gates, so the locals could spill out on to the dock to wave us off. They played 'Time to Say Goodbye' over the port PA system, and it was really memorable.
Gill

DouglasDun
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by DouglasDun »

The scene you're describing seems wonderful, Gill. How thoughtful of them to do that. This alone makes me want to look into this cruise, which I most definitely will!

Return to “Europe”