Cheese and loos!

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Cheese and loos!

Post by anneed »

Sorry if this has been discussed before but - is anyone else fed up with P&O's cheese policy? I'm recently back from a trip on Azura and thought the food was generally very good. However, as someone who regularly opts for cheese and biscuits I was shocked at how mean they have become. Tiny slivers are presented - and then cut into even tinier pieces when you make your selection. And what a hoo ha when I dared to ask for brie on a non-brie day! "Sorry madam, we can't give you brie today - you have to place a special order in the dining room the previous day!" Extraordinary.

But all this paled into insignificance compared to my loo issues. From day one my cabin toilet suffered from 'delayed flush'. It could take anything from 30 seconds to half an hour to work - not what you expect on a luxury cruise. It was not just me, apparently the pipes on my deck section were affected by someone flushing wet wipes (not sure I believed this) and we had many, many visits from plumbers and the deck manager. Things did improve a bit as the cruise progressed but were never completely resolved. However, after complaining long and loudly I was pacified with a very generous payout so my advice is not to accept an inconvenience (!) like this without making a fuss.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cheese and loos!

Post by GillD46 »

A few years ago we were on Arcadia in an aft suite on B deck - starboard corner. Without us actually having been in the bathroom, one afternoon I noticed our loo started to overflow foul waste onto our bathroom floor, just a trickle but ..... We tried flushing but nothing happened, so we called reception. They said they would “try” and report it. Time went on and the waste water was slowly creeping towards the door, despite the towels we had put down, we called again and were again told the appropriate person had been paged, but not replied! Eventually, after trawling the corridors, we found a cabin steward, from far away, who kindly came armed with lots of towels and he tried calling someone. The appropriate person eventually came nearly 90 minutes after we had called! The bathroom needed a massive deep clean! We were given the wet-wipe tale too, but I was totally appalled at the laissez faire attitude.
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

I agree anneed.

Recently on Britannia we always had to ask for the cheese board, it was never offered after our desert. And as you say very small portions, and the biscuit selection was pretty naff as well. As for the stilton barrel/block, again, it had to be asked for.
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Jun 2018, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

It's not great that toilet issues take so long to fix. But I do accept the wet wipe diagnosis. The vacuum system operates with small pipes and some passengers don't seem to understand the simple instruction to only flush human waste and toilet paper.

Maybe they're the same people whose mantra is "we've paid for our cruise and we'll wear what we like."

To which add "we've paid for our cruise and we'll flush what we like."

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Mrs B rarely has a pudding so generally goes for the cheese option.
There is no way she would put up with an obstructive waiter.
No one comes between her and her cheese. :lol:
I remember one guy said that Stilton was not available on one evening so she smiled sweetly and asked him to trot off and find some.
He did!
As we eat Freedom and rarely at the same time, we hardly ever get the same waiting staff.
But, we've always found that , ask and you will receive.
If you want a bit more, then just ask for it.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The P&O choices are poor, in our experience, even when they are available as compared from everything from a family run 3* Hotel to a 5* Riverboat Cruise Line … plus Chez Moby et Mobietta of course.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

.i think the cheese thing must depend on the ship. Last month on Oriana there seemed to be plenty of cheese and a good selection. We also had the old scenario of just a small piece of that! And the person involved being offered the large piece. The Stilton wheel was always available as it was kept on the serving station next to our table. Every night we were all offered cheese but very few took it.

All of this was on club dining, now I don’t know if this made a difference but I suspect it does.

With regard to the toilet situation, not good at all but unfortunately this is a problem of all ships of all lines as they all use the same system. Also it does not seem to have changed in over 25 years. Oriana has the same system as Britannia and therefore all Princess ships and Holland America. As has been said the problem lies with passengers.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

You could have a good point there Dai, about the cheese.
When we used to eat Club dining, the waiters got to know her preferences, but the chaps on Freedom have no chance unless you are the type to go at the same time every evening.
A friend of mine who has done many P&O cruises chooses Freedom because it opens earlier than Club so he's waiting outside at six, and always has the same table and waiters. Ironically they sit with the same crowd every meal as others also do it.
Sort of defeats the object in my eyes but each to their own. :?:
Empty vessels .. and all that

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

barney wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 17:22
You could have a good point there Dai, about the cheese.
When we used to eat Club dining, the waiters got to know her preferences, but the chaps on Freedom have no chance unless you are the type to go at the same time every evening.
A friend of mine who has done many P&O cruises chooses Freedom because it opens earlier than Club so he's waiting outside at six, and always has the same table and waiters. Ironically they sit with the same crowd every meal as others also do it.
Sort of defeats the object in my eyes but each to their own. :?:
His has been my contention for a long time that people really want first sitting therefore turn up early and turn freedom dining into a first sitting. Therefore as you say defeating the point.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

daib GC wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 11:41

With regard to the toilet situation, not good at all but unfortunately this is a problem of all ships of all lines as they all use the same system. Also it does not seem to have changed in over 25 years. Oriana has the same system as Britannia and therefore all Princess ships and Holland America. As has been said the problem lies with passengers.
We have definitely been on two ships that do not use the vacuum system, the QE2 and another one, but for the life of me I can’t remember which.
Gill

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

On Aurora on the 65 night cruise our table of 8, Club dining, second sitting, we were offered cheese after dessert every evening. If someone asked for the Stilton it appeared, no problem. I will admit sometimes the offerings looked pathetically small but if someone asked for a bigger portion the waiter went and got some.

Carole

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

GillD46 wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 18:46
daib GC wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 11:41

We have definitely been on two ships that do not use the vacuum system, the QE2 and another one, but for the life of me I can’t remember which.
Maybe the post should have said recent ships! QE2 was a venerable old lady with many quirks and differences from the modern generation, some of them good, some of them not so.

Topic author
anneed
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by anneed »

The Club/Freedom theory is interesting. I started off with Club dining - and changed to Freedom after one night! Travelling alone I always thought Club would be better but I would never go back now. I really did feel a sense of freedom with no set time to worry about and it was fun meeting lots of different people.
By the way, I did eventually get my brie but only after the restaurant manager joined in the discussion. I didn't bother to place a standing order!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Not just the cheese. What about the fruit!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

... and the interesting varieties of ice cream ?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Of course there are the new Sundaes, although I tried a rocky road one which had only minuscule bit of chewy choc crisp, and a piece of marshmallow about the size of a tiny ball bearing.
Now that's what I call cost cutting.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”