No more Club Dining

All about Iona

Topic author
MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

No more Club Dining

Post by MaureenB »

Having read today's e mail from P & O regarding Iona, I see that there will be no Club Dining in any of her 4 MDRs. :yawn:

That'll upset a few.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: No more Club Dining

Post by barney »

Not really Maureen. If it's a deal breaker then don't book it. At least folk know well in advance.
Empty vessels .. and all that

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

It never said that on the email that I received - in fact there was no mention on the Atrium link about MDR dining at all, or have you had a different email.

Are you sure that this is not a "wind up" from another forum?

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

It is mentioned on another forum, but I haven't been able to find it on the P & O site.

However, it does seem perfectly feasible that there won't be club dining. The Iona info says there are 15 places to eat, including 8 speciality restaurants. Maybe people will want to try all the options and not be tied to a fixed time and table.
Last edited by Gill W on 08 Jul 2018, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I think the source of this info may have been Bolsover Cruise Club - according to somebody on Cruise Critic
Gill

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Makes no odds to me as we alway do freedom dining.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Same here Stephen, but it's all slightly irrelevant even if true.
If fixed dining is very important to you, then don't book this ship.

it's like walking into M&S and saying, I like the shop but don't like the layout. I think that they should change it to suit me.

A company offers a specific product and you either buy it or you don't.
Certainly not worth anyone getting their knickers in a twist about it.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

david63 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 15:06
It never said that on the email that I received - in fact there was no mention on the Atrium link about MDR dining at all, or have you had a different email.

No David we heard this on our last cruise from the Deputy Captain at the Baltic lunch on Oriana. Nice guy.

I don’t mind as much on big ships with lots of other over eating places as Iona will have. Not sure about Oceana with only two others. Excluding the buffet of course as we have not found it yet on any ship. 8-)

Topic author
MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

david63 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 15:06

No David, not a "wind up". It was actually in the Bolsover e mail that came in hard on the heels of the P & O one, hence my confusion with the origin. However, Bolsover's "blurb" is embedded with P & O images and write ups. If you have the Bolsover mail it is under "what's on board" then " Dining". It gives all the details of the many outlets, and the details of the Freedom Dining in the 4 MDRs. I doubt P & O would release details to their biggest T A in an official looking format if the info was incorrect.

Just for the record I do prefer the Freedom Dining option for the same reasons as all have stated. I haven't done Club for years.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Club doesn't appeal to us any more either, glad we experienced it but we and the times have moved on.

15 different places to eat sounds absolutely wonderful to us as food is a large part of any holiday we take.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

As someone who is yet to dip his toe into the megaship Britannia, the jury is still out for me.
However as Moby says, the appeal must be the wonderful choice available.
We've grown accustomed to 'pay' venues and now accept it as the norm.

We've done quite a few all inclusive land holidays over the years but still occasionally eat out on them, so it's just the same as that.
Last edited by barney on 09 Jul 2018, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 09:31
Club doesn't appeal to us any more either, glad we experienced it but we and the times have moved on.

15 different places to eat sounds absolutely wonderful to us as food is a large part of any holiday we take.
Same here.

The main reason we moved away from club dining were the eating times. Six thirty was too early and eight thirty too late, baring in mind these are just arrival times, actual eating times are even later.

So freedom suits us as we can please ourselves where and what time we eat. :thumbup:

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Personally I like the concept of Freedom dining but not, in P&O's case, its execution.

When we tried it we loved the ability to go and eat where we wanted when we wanted and at the time that suited us (all the things that we thought beforehand that we would like). What we did not like was the way in which you are "herded" around in the MDR and we do not like being "put" on a table each night with total strangers - part of the enjoyment of a cruise for us is the relationship that you build with your table companions.

Having said that I could accept Freedom dining in the MDR if there were proper tables for two and you were treated as a couple. Our experience of tables for two was six tables in a row where all the orders were taken together and everyone had to wait for everyone one else to finish a course before moving on (effectively a table for 12).

If there were to be proper tables for two, preferably with the ability to reserve a table at the time you wanted, then Freedom dining in the MDR would be more appealing.

However with the number of alternative options on Iona and the fact that she will, certainly initially, probably be doing cruises of only 12/14 nights then I can go along with it - but if this was to become fleet wide with the lack of alternatives on most ships then I can foresee that there will be a lot of very unhappy cruisers.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

david63 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 11:43
Personally I like the concept of Freedom dining but not, in P&O's case, its execution.

When we tried it we loved the ability to go and eat where we wanted when we wanted and at the time that suited us (all the things that we thought beforehand that we would like). What we did not like was the way in which you are "herded" around in the MDR and we do not like being "put" on a table each night with total strangers - part of the enjoyment of a cruise for us is the relationship that you build with your table companions.

Having said that I could accept Freedom dining in the MDR if there were proper tables for two and you were treated as a couple. Our experience of tables for two was six tables in a row where all the orders were taken together and everyone had to wait for everyone one else to finish a course before moving on (effectively a table for 12).

If there were to be proper tables for two, preferably with the ability to reserve a table at the time you wanted, then Freedom dining in the MDR would be more appealing.

However with the number of alternative options on Iona and the fact that she will, certainly initially, probably be doing cruises of only 12/14 nights then I can go along with it - but if this was to become fleet wide with the lack of alternatives on most ships then I can foresee that there will be a lot of very unhappy cruisers.

Agree with you there David.

blodwyn
Cadet
Cadet

Post by blodwyn »

As the ship is aimed at the younger cruise passenger it seems a logical move.
We older traditional cruisers are not affected!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Could still be just a rumour.

I emailed Sarah Wing (Guest Services Team Leader, Carnival UK) and she said "I have not heard anything along these lines to date".

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Stephen wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 15:32

I emailed Sarah Wing (Guest Services Team Leader, Carnival UK) and she said "I have not heard anything along these lines to date".
So it's true then....

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

On the occasions that we use the MDR, we always have a table for two (with pager)
I must admit that I've never noticed what David mentioned about the other tables in a row, but then I'm not known for my observations.
Just ask Mrs B. :crazy:

We have occasionally asked for a table for two at MDR breakfast with no problem.
Last edited by barney on 09 Jul 2018, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 16:19
Stephen wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 15:32

So it's true then....
Probably Merv. It does sound a bit like politicians reply :)

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

barney wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 16:22
I must admit that I've never noticed what David mentioned about the other tables in a row,
That may be ship dependant - we were on Azura

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I'm no fan of Freedom Dining. The ability to choose what time you want to eat is a great idea but once inside the dining room it's a right beanfeast with people constantly coming and going, the waiters rushed to move people through, sometimes a long wait between courses, at other times hurried along. Personally I would prefer the buffet to my personal experience of Freedom Dining. It was not a pleasurable and relaxing experience.
However since the new ship has plenty of eating venues it makes sense to do away with Club Dining especially if you were able to book a table for a specific time, much as you would at home.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

You're right Foxy. I think people are missing a trick not using the buffet in the evening. We found it a great experience. Nothing like the bun fight during the day. Tables laid up with rattan mats and cutlery, good choice of food, and it's nice and hot.

OK, you might not want to use it every evening, but for a change I can reccomend it, especially curry night :thumbup:
Last edited by Stephen on 09 Jul 2018, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 18:06
I'm no fan of Freedom Dining. The ability to choose what time you want to eat is a great idea but once inside the dining room it's a right beanfeast with people constantly coming and going, the waiters rushed to move people through, sometimes a long wait between courses, at other times hurried along. Personally I would prefer the buffet to my personal experience of Freedom Dining. It was not a pleasurable and relaxing experience.
However since the new ship has plenty of eating venues it makes sense to do away with Club Dining especially if you were able to book a table for a specific time, much as you would at home.
We booked Freedom Dining on Celebrity and it was possible, unlike on P&O, to book tables for any number and at any time.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

That's the only sensible answer. I see nothing Free about queuing or taking a pager. That's why we still go for traditional dining at the moment. The guarantee our table will be ready when we get there. But we did try something very different in the last two weeks. News coming soon... .

Return to “About Iona”