Cabin Reviews - Iona

All about Iona

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cabin Reviews - Iona

Post by david63 »

Following a suggestion from a member we have set up this topic for Cabin Reviews under each of the About "Ship" sections so please feel free to add your review.

To facilitate the search for a particular cabin it would be helpful when adding a review if you try and post in the standard format as recommended below. To assist you can copy and paste this format into your post and then complete as required. However, ALL reviews in whatever format are welcome :thumbup:

Cabin Number:
Overall Rating: 1* to 5*****
Cleanliness: 1* to 5*****
Furnishings: 1* to 5*****
Balcony: 1* to 5*****
Bathroom: 1* to 5*****
Stability: 1* to 5*****
Quiet Cabin?: 1* to 5*****
Comments:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Cabin Reviews - Iona

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Anyone want to get out their crystal ball and start this one off?

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 19:41
Anyone want to get out their crystal ball and start this one off?
Check this attachment Merv, the Aidanova is the first in the class of ships that Iona belongs to, although I guess the public decks will be quite a bit different, I think the cabin decks will look very similar to these.

https://goo.gl/JwtFm9
Last edited by towny44 on 07 Aug 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

we had cabin 14483 this was a really good cabin we loved it
overall rating 5
cleanliness 5
furnishings 5
location midship 5
bathroom 5
stability 5
quite cabin 5
comments really think p&o have got it right with this ship particularly liked the prom deck Italian type seating on the inside then plenty of room for sunbeds and on the outside of the ship hot tubs with infinity views and a good size very impreesed with this ship

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Cleanliness and furnishings should be 5. It’s brand new.
Sorry,not trying to be smart.
Mel

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

so what did you expect me to do screwy tell lies as the ship was impeccable with the furnishings thats why I told people to try it as soon as possible before it started having a lot of use
Last edited by poole boy on 06 Sep 2021, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

rogerrovers
Cadet
Cadet

Post by rogerrovers »

We were in cabin 12505. Good location for everything and would have it again.
Agree with what Poole boy has said
5*****

Jenny

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Cabin Number: 9705
Overall Rating: 3***
Cleanliness: 5*****
Furnishings: 5*****
Balcony: 5*****
Bathroom: 5*****
Stability: 5*****
Quiet Cabin?: 1*

Comments:
Cabin 9705 is a Starboard Side Conservatory Mini Suite Cabin, as extras you get priority boarding with priority lunch, dressing gowns, slippers, kettle, coffee machine and all the makings, bowl of fruit, atlas, binoculars, chocolates and Champagne. Plus, canapés on Formal evening. Our score, for the cabin, it’s layout, space and facilities it gets a resounding 10/10. For its location 1/10. So let’s start.

The room is ideal with a sleeping, wardrobe and bathroom area, its own conservatory area and a good size balcony. A sliding door connects the conservatory to your sleeping area, there are also curtains between your sleeping area and conservatory, and a tri-folding door connects your conservatory to the balcony.

The sleeping area can hold 4, with a queen bed, sofa bed and drop down bunk from ceiling. Wardrobe space, whilst a little tight, for us only on a 7 day cruise it was ample, but I would have thought for 14 days, even 7, and with 4 people you would definitely be short on space and you would need the cupboard under the bed facility. In this cabin the bed is next to the wardrobes.

The bathroom is a good size considering. Normal facilities, lots of storage space and an excellent shower.

The conservatory is excellent and a nice quiet area, and I would have thought in the summer, with the tri-folding doors open, somewhere to sit out of the sun but still enjoy the fresh air of the balcony.

The balcony is a good size, glass fronted, 2 chair loungers, foot stool and small table. It overlooks Deck 8 and some sun beds and is fully overlooked from above, but you have your conservatory to pull back into.

Very close to the cabin there are 6 lifts & stairs, this is ideal because all the MDRs are either 2 or 3 decks straight down, Buffet is 7 decks straight up and the majority of the public areas, shops etc are 1, 2, or 3 decks down and forward.

Why the 1/10. OK, I would say partly my mistake for not fully researching.

So, March 2020 and COVID was just starting to take effect, we decided to move our June 2020 cruise into 2021. With us having a cruise booked already for June 2021, December seemed a great idea. So chatting with our TA it was pointed out that the cost of our mid-price balcony on Iona for 2020 would get us a Mini Suite on Iona in December 2021. Well there was no contest and we jumped straight in with open arms. So no research on the cabin and what was around it. My mistake and what turned out to be a very bad choice.

What we did not realise was that directly underneath our cabin is The Club House and it came as quite a shock to find out that not only is it a night club but from 11:15pm to late, and we are talking 2am +, there is a full on group/disco on and all you can hear is, Thud, Thud, Thud vibrating through the cabin with no let up. Now, we stuck it on night one, thinking it was a one off, but when night two, Sunday, kicked in and it was the exact same, well…. on Monday morning at around 2:30am, a second night with no sleep and now feeling a ‘little’ naggy, I visited reception and after discussing the problem with a member of staff we were moved from cabin 9705 to cabin 9529.

Now, I can only talk about cabin 9705, but if it was affecting us, I am sure it would have been affecting other cabins in the same area. So if you are looking for an early night, trying to get the children off or even just trying to sleep, then best of luck because there will be no quiet period until at least 2am if not longer. The other thing to be aware of is when Iona is in port the Club House is open and Pulse, the resident group, sometimes use it to practice their routine, so expect noise from 10am. I believe that these cabins should come with a warning, the same as obstructed & overlooked balcony cabins do, but there is no mention that the club below these cabins goes on, music wise, until the early hours of the morning until you get on the ship. For that reason the score is 1/10.

Now, I also feel it is partly P&Os problem. The noise in that area is well known. I was talking to someone from the future cruise desk, they knew, our room steward knew and I believe, that once the staycation cruises and start of normal cruising had commenced complaints would have been made. So they could have e-mailed those that had booked those cabins and gave us the option of moving. So, be warned.

What I do not understand is; we were not the first ones in this cabin and I cannot believe that the noise was a one off. But nothing has been mentioned before.
Regards

Peter

Return to “About Iona”